The Student Room Group

Difference between core maths and maths

As the title suggests what's the difference between core maths and maths at A-level. I been given A-level core maths by my sixth form because I got a B in GCSE maths and I have no idea what core maths is. I really want to do medicine in university so will having done A level core maths and not maths effect my chances of being able to do the medicine course.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sakshres
As the title suggests what's the difference between core maths and maths at A-level. I been given A-level core maths by my sixth form because I got a B in GCSE maths and I have no idea what core maths is. I really want to do medicine in university so will having done A level core maths and not maths effect my chances of being able to do the medicine course.

By core, it means the units everyone has to do I assume. In A level maths there are the core modules(C1, C2, C3, C4), you do C1 and C2 in the first year and C3 and C4 in the second year. Dw core maths isn't a seperate thing, it's part of the maths A level. When you start you'll probably be introduced to the applied modules(usually mechanics or statistics, occationally decision). Nothing to worry about, honestly.

The whole maths A level is made up of the 4 core units mentioned above and then 2 other modules that are applied.
Original post by k4l397
By core, it means the units everyone has to do I assume. In A level maths there are the core modules(C1, C2, C3, C4).

Sounds sensible but: http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/by-type/core-maths/

oh... well this has left me clueless :P

Still a level 3 qualification, but would seem a little harsh if the school didn't let you do the standard A level when you got a B. Quite a few people in my class got a B and did fine. If I were you I'd keep asking until they said yes :P seem a little harsh not to let you do it if you ask me.
Reply 4
Original post by k4l397
oh... well this has left me clueless :P

Still a level 3 qualification, but would seem a little harsh if the school didn't let you do the standard A level when you got a B. Quite a few people in my class got a B and did fine. If I were you I'd keep asking until they said yes :P seem a little harsh not to let you do it if you ask me.

Thanks for all the help. I been trying to ask them to give me A level maths but they seem adamant not to. I might try finding another place that lets me do A level maths
Thanks for all the help. I been trying to ask them to give me A level maths but they seem adamant not to. I might try finding another place that lets me do A level maths

The new Core Maths qualifications have been specifically developed to allow students who achieve a B or a C at GCSE maths to progress to Level 3. Unless there were extenuating circumstances behind your B grade, this is likely to be the best course for you.

The courses aren't A Levels by the way, they are Level 3 Certificates. They offer the same UCAS points as an AS.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
The new Core Maths qualifications have been specifically developed to allow students who achieve a B or a C at GCSE maths to progress to Level 3. Unless there were extenuating circumstances behind your B grade, this is likely to be the best course for you.

The courses aren't A Levels by the way, they are Level 3 Certificates. They offer the same UCAS points as an AS.

will i still be able to do a medicine course with Core maths

Maths isn't a requirement for medicine so yes.

But, to be blunt, unless most of your other GCSE results are better than your maths result you are unlikely to be successful. Medicine is highly competitive.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M

So the OP would need to be doing 3 FULL A levels in addition to Core Maths to be eligible for a Medicine degree, yes? I.e. 2 A levels + Core Maths would not be considered equivalent to 3 full A levels? (Just trying to ensure that the OP is clear on the consequences!)

Reply 9
Original post by davros
So the OP would need to be doing 3 FULL A levels in addition to Core Maths to be eligible for a Medicine degree, yes? I.e. 2 A levels + Core Maths would not be considered equivalent to 3 full A levels? (Just trying to ensure that the OP is clear on the consequences!)

Apart from core maths i have picked biology, chemistry, geography and business studies.

Is that fine?
Reply 10
Apart from core maths i have picked biology, chemistry, geography and business studies.

Is that fine?

That should be OK if you do well in them. And as MrM said, you'll also need to have good GCSE grades. This gives you an idea of what grades you need. Your maths 'B' would not be good enough for certain medical schools.

Take note that these are the minimum requirements so most successful applicants will have better grades than these.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by davros

Core Maths would not count as one of three full A Levels which is the requirement for all medical schools.
Reply 12

Is that fine?

Then you have more than enough A level subjects :smile:

Original post by notnek
Core Maths would not count as one of three full A Levels which is the requirement for all medical schools.

That's what I was unsure about, but it appears the OP has confirmed that Core Maths is just an additional qualification on top of A levels :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by davros
Then you have more than enough A level subjects :smile:

That's what I was unsure about, but it appears the OP has confirmed that Core Maths is just an additional qualification on top of A levels :smile:

I might just end up moving to some place else where they can give me my options. From what others have told me, Maths is necessity.
Reply 14
I might just end up moving to some place else where they can give me my options. From what others have told me, Maths is necessity.

What have "others" told you?

Maths A Level is certainly NOT a necessity for Medicine.

However, as pointed out above, there may be some medical schools that insist on a higher grade in GCSE than you have. It might be preferable to spend time preparing for a retake in GCSE to get a higher grade than worrying about Core Maths - I'm not sure why your school/college has advised you to take this!
Reply 15
Original post by davros
What have "others" told you?

Maths A Level is certainly NOT a necessity for Medicine.

However, as pointed out above, there may be some medical schools that insist on a higher grade in GCSE than you have. It might be preferable to spend time preparing for a retake in GCSE to get a higher grade than worrying about Core Maths - I'm not sure why your school/college has advised you to take this!

Most of the people told me not taking maths for medicine is like running into a brick wall. My GCSE's werent bad at all and I have no idea why they would want to give me it.

I will most likely retake maths gcse.
Original post by davros

Yes (I've been away).
@k4l397
believe it or not this helps me 5 years later

Original post by k4l397
By core, it means the units everyone has to do I assume. In A level maths there are the core modules(C1, C2, C3, C4), you do C1 and C2 in the first year and C3 and C4 in the second year. Dw core maths isn't a seperate thing, it's part of the maths A level. When you start you'll probably be introduced to the applied modules(usually mechanics or statistics, occationally decision). Nothing to worry about, honestly.

The whole maths A level is made up of the 4 core units mentioned above and then 2 other modules that are applied.
Original post by superbo9y
@k4l397
believe it or not this helps me 5 years later

This answer isn't correct though! Modules no longer exist in England - Core Maths is a level 3 award equivalent to an AS.
Original post by Muttley79
This answer isn't correct though! Modules no longer exist in England - Core Maths is a level 3 award equivalent to an AS.

nonononoo

as in c1 and c2 are content equivalent to AS (year12)
while
c3 and c4 to A-level (year13)

Latest