The Student Room Group

Studying Business management with Chinese or Japanese?

Okay, so this has been a constant debate in my head for the last couple of weeks and I can't seem to get to a definite answer.

Based on useful-ness and practicality in the business world it would no doubt be Mandarin, however, for some reason I see spending a year in Japan to be a load more fun (but i would not, not enjoy spending a year in China also...) ergh I don't know
I think it's cause of my Chinese background and growing up with that my whole life, I see Japanese and Japan as a brand new exciting experience and China to not be as 'special' but I don't want to take one course and regret it.

Ooo, on another note is this course even worth taking???? Like i've read articles on how this course isn't really anything good to go from when you leave uni but idk, i think i let things like this change my mind to much and decide for me (which is ironic ahaha)

Sorry for this long ass rant, feel free to leave what you please and I appreciate any help! :smile:
Reply 1
Anyone??
In the same position as you, but I chose Chinese in the end because Japanese was over subscribed.

Japanese would be a brand new experience for you, and by then you would have 3 languages!

But with Chinese, you might find it easier to learn compared with people who do not have a Chinese background, this may mean you can spend more time on studying business management which then may lead you a higher grade 2.1 etc idk

Also ensure you are interested in the Japanese language not just because the year abroad seem fun, Japanese language can be tricky for some.
Reply 3
Original post by Makashima
In the same position as you, but I chose Chinese in the end because Japanese was over subscribed.

Japanese would be a brand new experience for you, and by then you would have 3 languages!

But with Chinese, you might find it easier to learn compared with people who do not have a Chinese background, this may mean you can spend more time on studying business management which then may lead you a higher grade 2.1 etc idk

Also ensure you are interested in the Japanese language not just because the year abroad seem fun, Japanese language can be tricky for some.

Thank you very much for the help!
Are you also doing Business Management along with the language?
Japan is a good place to live. You would enjoy it with its modern side, its cultural side and its nature side. China is a growing economy but Japan is not far behind. There are more opportunities for non Japanese people to work in Japan compared to China. Its also more suitable for non Japanese to study in Japan as they have better programs than in China
Reply 5
Original post by FlyingNinja1
Japan is a good place to live. You would enjoy it with its modern side, its cultural side and its nature side. China is a growing economy but Japan is not far behind. There are more opportunities for non Japanese people to work in Japan compared to China. Its also more suitable for non Japanese to study in Japan as they have better programs than in China

Hmm... very true, thank you for the help :smile:)
Do you know any Chinese or Japanese already? And do you plan on living in the uk when you finish your degree? I can see your debate, I think Japanese would be easier to learn from scratch because of writing but Chinese might be more useful for business. If it was me I'd learn Japanese because it's a great language and very interesting :smile:
Original post by Sxphki
Okay, so this has been a constant debate in my head for the last couple of weeks and I can't seem to get to a definite answer.

Based on useful-ness and practicality in the business world it would no doubt be Mandarin, however, for some reason I see spending a year in Japan to be a load more fun (but i would not, not enjoy spending a year in China also...) ergh I don't know
I think it's cause of my Chinese background and growing up with that my whole life, I see Japanese and Japan as a brand new exciting experience and China to not be as 'special' but I don't want to take one course and regret it.

Ooo, on another note is this course even worth taking???? Like i've read articles on how this course isn't really anything good to go from when you leave uni but idk, i think i let things like this change my mind to much and decide for me (which is ironic ahaha)

Sorry for this long ass rant, feel free to leave what you please and I appreciate any help! :smile:

IMO, Hindi would be better as India is predicted to be superpower by 2050 since they have a much larger young population than China while China is ageing and have a losing economy. There will probably won't be another Asian financial crisis due to China's stock crash as India's stock market is thriving.

However, if you only have those two options, choose Chinese as Japan will lose its economic prowess to other Asian countries due to their rapidly ageing population.
Original post by Sxphki
Thank you very much for the help!
Are you also doing Business Management along with the language?

Yes, with chinese at manchester university and i also have a chinese background
Reply 9
Original post by Hevachan
Do you know any Chinese or Japanese already? And do you plan on living in the uk when you finish your degree? I can see your debate, I think Japanese would be easier to learn from scratch because of writing but Chinese might be more useful for business. If it was me I'd learn Japanese because it's a great language and very interesting :smile:

Currently i know basic/conversational Cantonese and i have a mum who speaks both Cantonese and Mandarin so she'll definitely be able to help me with the course. I hope to go travelling afterwards maybe. I know! Japanese does sound very interesting! Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by asmuse123
IMO, Hindi would be better as India is predicted to be superpower by 2050 since they have a much larger young population than China while China is ageing and have a losing economy. There will probably won't be another Asian financial crisis due to China's stock crash as India's stock market is thriving.

However, if you only have those two options, choose Chinese as Japan will lose its economic prowess to other Asian countries due to their rapidly ageing population.

Yeah, i've read recently that their economy has been decreasing so that did worry me a little. Sadly I only have the two options and that's very true about Japan, it does have an ageing population.
Reply 11
Yes, with chinese at manchester university and i also have a chinese background

Omg, It was my dream to attend that Uni but I don't have a GCSE grade in a modern foreign language so I don't meet the entry requirements :frown: It broke my heart when i found out.
How's the overall course? is it worth doing it and do you ever have any regrets about the course?
Original post by Sxphki
Omg, It was my dream to attend that Uni but I don't have a GCSE grade in a modern foreign language so I don't meet the entry requirements :frown: It broke my heart when i found out.
How's the overall course? is it worth doing it and do you ever have any regrets about the course?

you can also apply man uni for postgraduate afterwards! :biggrin:
did you not ring up and tell them you are a native speaker, maybe that might have help?
well thats actually my back up course tbh...originally i applied for science subjects but i didnt get an a in biology thus i chose this because chinese does interest me and im interested in business modules that relates to economics as ive done economics alevel. so i suppose it is a big transfer from science to business/lang

is it worth doing? yes, the degree is opened to many opportunities, considering it is also a mix degree ie modern lang and business, especially if the china economy continues to bloom then that would beneficial. but who knows what the future hold?

which uni are you doing your course at?
Reply 13
you can also apply man uni for postgraduate afterwards! :biggrin:
did you not ring up and tell them you are a native speaker, maybe that might have help?
well thats actually my back up course tbh...originally i applied for science subjects but i didnt get an a in biology thus i chose this because chinese does interest me and im interested in business modules that relates to economics as ive done economics alevel. so i suppose it is a big transfer from science to business/lang

is it worth doing? yes, the degree is opened to many opportunities, considering it is also a mix degree ie modern lang and business, especially if the china economy continues to bloom then that would beneficial. but who knows what the future hold?

which uni are you doing your course at?

I have emailed them but at the time I was more looking into Japanese and business courses so i only emailed them about that, perhaps i should, however i am only able to speak and listen Cantonese and the course is Mandarin so will it still be helpful?
Oh I see, yeah they're very different courses indeed.
I'm only just about to enter A2 so i'm trying to write my personal statement and choose unis to apply to and realistically, Man Uni is slightly out of my reach. :/
Original post by Sxphki
I have emailed them but at the time I was more looking into Japanese and business courses so i only emailed them about that, perhaps i should, however i am only able to speak and listen Cantonese and the course is Mandarin so will it still be helpful?
Oh I see, yeah they're very different courses indeed.
I'm only just about to enter A2 so i'm trying to write my personal statement and choose unis to apply to and realistically, Man Uni is slightly out of my reach. :/

Well business and management with chinese was in clearing which I chose this course because no other sciences course from UoM and I didnt want to move anyway. Therefore maybe it will be in clearing too for you! Despite it was in clearing, it was subscribed after 2 days o.o

Trust me, learning mandarin with a cantonese background is pretty helpful despite both languages are different. Canto here too, and I learnt a lot from just watching random taiwanese and mainland chinese dramas. So if I were to properly learn it in uni, I believe Id pick up fairly good? Or am I overestimating my ability o.o

Also depend your fluency in cantonese? Speak wise? Write wise? Listen wise? Can you do all that?

I wish you the best :smile:
Reply 15
Well business and management with chinese was in clearing which I chose this course because no other sciences course from UoM and I didnt want to move anyway. Therefore maybe it will be in clearing too for you! Despite it was in clearing, it was subscribed after 2 days o.o

Trust me, learning mandarin with a cantonese background is pretty helpful despite both languages are different. Canto here too, and I learnt a lot from just watching random taiwanese and mainland chinese dramas. So if I were to properly learn it in uni, I believe Id pick up fairly good? Or am I overestimating my ability o.o

Also depend your fluency in cantonese? Speak wise? Write wise? Listen wise? Can you do all that?

I wish you the best :smile:

Read and write I cannot do but my listening skills are better than the speaking due to my pronunciation. Thank you very much for the help, hearing that the course was in clearing gave me hope! haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending