The Student Room Group

Immigrants take 75% of new jobs in the UK-time for British jobs for British workers

Poll

Should we have a British jobs for British workers law

Latest immigrantion figures revealed immigrant took 75% of new jobs in the UK. Immigrants are putting Brits out of work, forcing down wages, taking UK jobs normally working below minimum wage & accepting terrible working conditions

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migration1/migration-statistics-quarterly-report/august-2015/stb-msqr-august-2015.html#tab-Main-points

'Latest employment statistics show estimated employment of EU nationals (excluding British) living in the UK was 250,000 higher in April to June 2015 compared with the same quarter last year and non-EU nationals in employment increased by 7,000. Over the same period, British nationals in employment also increased (by 84,000), therefore three-quarters of the growth in employment over the last year was accounted for by foreign nationals'

Is it time we had British jobs for British workers? so Brits who are qualified to do the job get the job before immigrants?

Scroll to see replies

Yes the priority should be finding work for UK citizens first and training where appropriate and when they are all employed then we can start allowing immigrants to take them

I would also argue against your point of 'Brits who are qualified' even if they are under qualified they should be offered training to make them qualified
Reply 2
Original post by BaconandSauce
Yes the priority should be finding work for UK citizens first and training where appropriate and when they are all employed then we can start allowing immigrants to take them

I would also argue against your point of 'Brits who are qualified' even if they are under qualified they should be offered training to make them qualified

Good point that happens alot with nursing thousands of Brits denied training & jobs given to immigrants
Original post by Ace123
Good point that happens alot with nursing thousands of Brits denied training & jobs given to immigrants

I have a fried who has experienced this

not enough training places for Nurses and then they import poorly educated non English speakers to do the Jobs

I just don't get why as a country we do things like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14921565

But an EU Directive prevents any systematic testing of language skills of doctors from the European Economic Area (EEA).
The GMC says UK legislation - the Medical Act 1983 - 'gold plates' the directive and prevents the GMC from doing any language-testing of doctors from the EEA at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends what job your on about cuz if it's anything involving manual labour/fruit picking/cleaning you won't catch many British people doing these jobs

Although I'd like to see more doing so, cuz it gets annoying when the managers and workers speak to you in polish or some other language lol
Original post by niceguy95
Depends what job your on about cuz if it's anything involving manual labour/fruit picking/cleaning you won't catch many British people doing these jobs

Although I'd like to see more doing so, cuz it gets annoying when the managers and workers speak to you in polish or some other language lol

British people do do those jobs and having worked somewhere with a lot of polish people they all spoke english.
How does feel to be so worthless and inefficient that refugees are considered more valuable than you guys ?
Original post by Ace123
Latest immigrantion figures revealed immigrant took 75% of new jobs in the UK.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migration1/migration-statistics-quarterly-report/august-2015/stb-msqr-august-2015.html#tab-Main-points

'Latest employment statistics show estimated employment of EU nationals (excluding British) living in the UK was 250,000 higher in April to June 2015 compared with the same quarter last year and non-EU nationals in employment increased by 7,000. Over the same period, British nationals in employment also increased (by 84,000), therefore three-quarters of the growth in employment over the last year was accounted for by foreign nationals'

Your title of the thread is wrong.

The very next line after your quote, in the article you have linked, specifically tells you that these figures do not give the proportion of new jobs that have gone to immigrants.

Latest employment statistics show estimated employment of EU nationals (excluding British) living in the UK was 250,000 higher in April to June 2015 compared with the same quarter last year and non-EU nationals in employment increased by 7,000. Over the same period, British nationals in employment also increased (by 84,000), therefore three-quarters of the growth in employment over the last year was accounted for by foreign nationals. (These growth figures represent the net change in the number of people in employment, not the proportion of new jobs that have been filled by non-UK workers.)
I suspect its because immigrants are more hard working, less entitled, and more grateful to be given any kind of job after all the hardships they've endured in their home countries.

Maybe British people should become more hard working, less entitled and more grateful in order to get more jobs they claim are being taken away from them.
I have a fried who has experienced this

not enough training places for Nurses and then they import poorly educated non English speakers to do the Jobs

I just don't get why as a country we do things like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14921565

But an EU Directive prevents any systematic testing of language skills of doctors from the European Economic Area (EEA).
The GMC says UK legislation - the Medical Act 1983 - 'gold plates' the directive and prevents the GMC from doing any language-testing of doctors from the EEA at all.

I've never met a doctor who doesn't speak basic English... Just because "your friend" has experienced this does not mean that it's a big issue that is plaguing the NHS.

Immigrants are a huge part of the NHS and without them there would be no NHS. If you want to complain about lack of training for nurses that's completely valid, but I don't see the point of this thread other than to bash hard working immigrants who are in new jobs.
The problem with nurse training in the UK is that the Tories messed up nurse training in the 80's

Now, people qualify /train as nurses. Nurse training is independent of any future need planning
It takes 3-5 years to change nurse training numbers

Hospitals recruit the cheapest nurses they can find and need at this point in time
Hospitals use agency staff on 3x the NHS. Costs

Nurse training was geared in the old days to expected demand and most new nurses found jobs local to their training. Hospitals also had pools of staff willing to work overtime.

A friend is involved in "converting" foreign nurses to UK standards/working practices.

Certain professions should be trained with an eye on future government need.
Otherwise we would build loads of new schools and have no qualified teachers. Oh ... Wait.... The Tories want more free schools where no teacher needs to be qualified.
(These growth figures represent the net change in the number of people in employment, not the proportion of new jobs that have been filled by non-UK workers.)
Original post by tania<3
I've never met a doctor who doesn't speak basic English... Just because "your friend" has experienced this does not mean that it's a big issue that is plaguing the NHS.

Immigrants are a huge part of the NHS and without them there would be no NHS. If you want to complain about lack of training for nurses that's completely valid, but I don't see the point of this thread other than to bash hard working immigrants who are in new jobs.

I expect my doctor to have more than a basic grasp of my language and the language of this country.

They are because we don't train our own this is part of the issue and there is not a single immigrant doing a job that couldn't be done by someone from this country
Maybe the immigrants; do a better job, less likely to complain, not self-entitled and take the lowest wages.
I expect my doctor to have more than a basic grasp of my language and the language of this country.

They are because we don't train our own this is part of the issue and there is not a single immigrant doing a job that couldn't be done by someone from this country

The country a a whole, for any given year, produces a fixed amount of stuff and thus earns a a fixed amount of funds. Those funds partly go to the government through taxation. In order to train and then employ more nurses and more doctors at a higher wage rate, you'd have to direct far more of those taxed funds to that end which means either cutting spending on other government services or increase taxation or both.

It's a costly, potentially very costly, affair for the government to both pay higher wages for their staff and to increase the number of trainees every year.

Instead, people can take jobs in other areas of the economy and leave these kinds of jobs to those who can do them at the least possible cost to the government and thus to the tax payer. This approach would free resources for other ends. Perhaps it might even generate more tax funds to be channelled into medical research for life threatening diseases (cancer, hiv, etc).

There are far more useful things the government might do with taxes than spend on them on nurses with no accents.
Original post by DarkIceCream
The country a a whole, for any given year, produces a fixed amount of stuff and thus earns a a fixed amount of funds. Those funds partly go to the government through taxation. In order to train and then employ more nurses and more doctors at a higher wage rate, you'd have to direct far more of those taxed funds to that end which means either cutting spending on other government services or increase taxation or both.

It's a costly, potentially very costly, affair for the government to both pay higher wages for their staff and to increase the number of trainees every year.

Instead, people can take jobs in other areas of the economy and leave these kinds of jobs to those who can do them at the least possible cost to the government and thus to the tax payer. This approach would free resources for other ends. Perhaps it might even generate more tax funds to be channelled into medical research for life threatening diseases (cancer, hiv, etc).

There are far more useful things the government might do with taxes than spend on them on nurses with no accents.

So it's about money then

I'd like to see the comparable on training a nurse from the UK and their contributions to the UK economy vs the cost of keeping them on social and paying a immigrant to do a job they could do.
So it's about money then

I'd like to see the comparable on training a nurse from the UK and their contributions to the UK economy vs the cost of keeping them on social and paying a immigrant to do a job they could do.

Well when you put it like that, it sound cruel.

But as I said, money is partly what generates breakthroughs in medical technology. Money is partly what cures diseases. Literally. Medical research depends on funding.

Same goes for infranstructure spending and security, for roads and police and etc.

And your scenario here only plays out in the short-run. In the long-run, people can move to other occupations. They don't have to be kept on "social" for more than a few years. It's certainly good to see a cost-benefit analysis though I doubt there is one for nurses in particular.

Again, it's not paying an immigrant to do a job they could do - and that's all there is to be said about it. It's paying an immigrant for a job + funding something else. It could be more social security spending or more medical spending or more defence spending, etc.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
British people do do those jobs and having worked somewhere with a lot of polish people they all spoke english.

In the 3 years I've done warehouse and food production jobs for summer jobs. I can't remember the last time I seen English person, maybe it's the area I live or the shifts I do who knows.

Even the agencies are foreign dominated lol
Original post by niceguy95
In the 3 years I've done warehouse and food production jobs for summer jobs. I can't remember the last time I seen English person, maybe it's the area I live or the shifts I do who knows.

Even the agencies are foreign dominated lol

When I worked as a warehouse operator there were loads of English people, they outnumbered the Polish. Not that I particularly care either way but it is almost like anecdotal evidence is meaningless :beard: The younger ones all had smart phones and listened to the same pop music. If it weren't for their accents (which are cool) and drinking of lemon tea (which is the best) you wouldn't know they were from a different country.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DarkIceCream
Well when you put it like that, it sound cruel.

You were the one who talked about money

It makes more sense in monetary terms to ensure we have full employment rather than part employment and then importing immigrants to do jobs people from this country DO want to do but can't because we can't train them

It simply shortsightedness

But I agree 'They don't have to be kept on "social" for more than a few years' but this only works if we can have 100% employment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending