The Student Room Group

Is this structure okay for Economics personal statement?

I am unsure whether I have put too much analysis and critical evaluation on books and economic theories and not enough about general extra curricular activities. It's the main bulk of the PS (i.e. excluding intro / conclusion) that I am unsure about... I'd like to say that I have conveyed my 'passion' and talked about the skills I've developed in most of the PS however. This is my structure:

Intro (500 characters) - Typical intro, happy with this.
2nd paragraph (1300 characters) - Analysis of books in areas of the AS course that I've enjoyed; inspired my related EPQ; naturally progressing to discussing other areas of Economics.
3rd paragraph (1100 characters) - Discussion of RES essay, analysis and evaluation of books I was led to; independent research skills developed etc.
4th paragraph (850 characters) - My interest in maths stemming from studying further maths and attending STEP classes; how I gained insight into applications of economics at work experience and wider reading etc; developing problem solving skills etc.
5th paragraph (250 characters) - Two sentences summing up why I'm ideal for the course and what I'd like to get out of it. Happy with this.

So how does this look? Is it too analytical and subject heavy with not enough about me? Applying to Oxford LSE, UCL, Warwick and Durham by the way. Would it be better for me to fit in something about me tutoring younger economics students and taking part in a sustainable development programme and discuss how these activities have developed various skills such as... linking back to economics? Or should I just keep this structure?
(edited 8 years ago)
It sounds like a well structured PS. The PS should mainly be about your interest in the subject with only about 100 words, if that, about relevant extra curriculars. Tutoring younger students and the sustainable development program sound interesting but make sure you have the space for them. Don't worry about the PS being too subject heavy-that's exactly what it's supposed to be.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
It sounds like a well structured PS. The PS should mainly be about your interest in the subject with only about 100 words, if that, about relevant extra curriculars. Tutoring younger students and the sustainable development program sound interesting but make sure you have the space for them. Don't worry about the PS being too subject heavy-that's exactly what it's supposed to be.

Okay thank you, I was planning on leaving them out. I am trying to add in as many transferable skills still... I have mentioned how I've developed independent research skills, interpersonal skills and problem solving skills and then linked back to economics. Would this suffice?
Yes sounds fine.
However, the likelihood is that you will have to reduce it because the line count normally kicks in before the character count does

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending