The Student Room Group

Which degree do people regret the most?

Simple question. Which mainstream degree produces the highest percentage of graduates who regret taking that degree? Mainstream meaning many universities offer the course.

I've heard psychology is pretty bad.
Original post by Keyhofi
Simple question. Which mainstream degree produces the highest percentage of graduates who regret taking that degree? Mainstream meaning many universities offer the course.

Considering the fact that Philosophy is not a popular degree choice, it is uncanny the number of people I see on TSR saying that they regret taking it.
Original post by Keyhofi

At the moment we've basically got 2 official sources of data;
the NSS which asks final year students how satisfied they are with various aspects of their course
and the DLHE which asks people what sort of job (if any) they have 6 months and 40 months after graduation.

I expect it'd be interesting to merge some aspects of the 2 surveys and ask people who have graduated whether they regret taking their course and publish the results... Though you might find unis were a bit resistant to the idea.
psychology haters incoming :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Considering the fact that Philosophy is not a popular degree choice, it is uncanny the number of people I see on TSR saying that they regret taking it.

I dropped out of a philosophy course. I think it's because most prospective philosophy students read a mostly continental/ancient philosophy and then are somewhat surprised when the majority of the course consists on studying analytic philosophy, which is much more dry. Read the course content carefully folks!
Original post by thedral
I dropped out of a philosophy course. I think it's because most prospective philosophy students read a mostly continental/ancient philosophy and then are somewhat surprised when the majority of the course consists on studying analytic philosophy, which is much more dry. Read the course content carefully folks!

I had suspected this too. Personally I much prefer analytic Philosophy to Continental/Ancient, but almost every prospective Philosophy student I've spoken to feels otherwise, and I know some people in exactly that situation.
Reply 6
I have heard that too.!!! Better late than never.
Original post by Joinedup
At the moment we've basically got 2 official sources of data;
the NSS which asks final year students how satisfied they are with various aspects of their course
and the DLHE which asks people what sort of job (if any) they have 6 months and 40 months after graduation.

I expect it'd be interesting to merge some aspects of the 2 surveys and ask people who have graduated whether they regret taking their course and publish the results... Though you might find unis were a bit resistant to the idea.

The problem is that the sample of students that respond to the data is not random. That limits the validity of the data you get.

Original post by scrawlx101
psychology haters incoming :frown:

:colone:
Original post by Juichiro
The problem is that the sample of students that respond to the data is not random. That limits the validity of the data you get.

Or you can actually talk to people or stalk random people on social media to figure out what they're doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending