The Student Room Group

Question for those who have just done AS/A2 Maths/Phys/Further Maths

Any tips for a student who will be pursuing all three of these, any youtubers you found helpful? Any books? Would be grateful for any help :3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by iMacJack
Any tips for a student who will be pursuing all three of these, any youtubers you found helpful? Any books? Would be grateful for any help :3

I've never really liked YouTube for revision. I tended to use past papers and revision guides. Past papers were probably the most useful as they give you a feel for what could come up in your exam and the format of the questions. If you're interested, I got an A* in maths, an A in Further Maths and an A in Physics.
You don't really need books for Maths, apart from the official textbooks. If you get stuck, videos online should be of help. Practice difficult questions if you can, like the solomon paper questions.

For Physics, the CGP revision guide was a godsend for me (for AQA, at least).
Reply 3
I got A*A* in maths and f maths. Let me tell you now past papers are key, and doing harder papers like STEP really helped me with things like M3 and FP1/2. (Plus I needed STEP for my warwick offer-but going LSE now)).

I didn't really use youtube for maths at all, maybe the odd video. But for economics and the subject's complicated/mathematical diagrams, YouTube was god......
(edited 8 years ago)

Yep, yep, I'm in the exact same boat as you. All three + good ole' history. From someone who is feeling pretty confident (but is probs gonna fail anyway, lmao) DO NOT WORRY. If you have the capabilities to actually do FM (that is an A/A* at GCSE), you will be fine. If stuff hits the fan, you can always drop further maths at A2. From what I've heard, doing the Mechanics module at A Level really helps with physics, so if you have a choice, do that instead of Stats (ew) or Decision.

Also, you might want to do some research into which exam board your school/college follows. We're doing OCR for physics, and I've already bought a couple textbooks over the summer. Are you doing OCR Maths? If so, I can link you the spec for the course.

Namaste and good luck! :o::colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TurgidMeniscus
Yep, yep, I'm in the exact same boat as you. All three + good ole' history. From someone who is feeling pretty confident (but is probs gonna fail anyway, lmao) DO NOT WORRY. If you have the capabilities to actually do FM (that is an A/A* at GCSE), you will be fine. If stuff hits the fan, you can always drop further maths at A2. From what I've heard, doing the Mechanics module at A Level really helps with physics, so if you have a choice, do that instead of Stats (ew) or Decision.

Also, you might want to do some research into which exam board your school/college follows. We're doing OCR for physics, and I've already bought a couple textbooks over the summer. Are you doing OCR Maths? If so, I can link you the spec for the course.

Namaste and good luck! :o::colonhash:

Good to hear you're doing the same trio!
I am doing Edexcel. Are you AQA for Physics?

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by SH0405
I've never really liked YouTube for revision. I tended to use past papers and revision guides. Past papers were probably the most useful as they give you a feel for what could come up in your exam and the format of the questions. If you're interested, I got an A* in maths, an A in Further Maths and an A in Physics.

Could you recommend a certain textbook?

Thank you, and congratulations great results
Good to hear you're doing the same trio!
I am doing Edexcel. Are you AQA for Physics?

Good luck!

Nah, it's all OCR apart from history, which is Edexcel. I really hate AQA science, so that's good for me personally :tongue:

If you're doing Edexcel Maths, I have the C1 and C2 textbooks somewhere in my house, so I could give you some pointers for both modules? I did a further maths iGCSE, so I know most of C1, but C2 is totally cray. Did you do any sort of additional maths thingy for GCSE?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TurgidMeniscus
Nah, it's all OCR apart from history, which is Edexcel. I really hate AQA science, so that's good for me personally :tongue:

If you're doing Edexcel Maths, I have the C1 and C2 textbooks somewhere in my house, so I could give you some pointers for both modules? I did a further maths iGCSE, so I know most of C1, but C2 is totally cray. Did you do any sort of additional maths thingy for GCSE?

Nope, how is C2 totally cray :P
Youtube channels:
Maths/ further maths:
ExamSolutions
Hegarthy Maths
FMSP (Furthe Maths Support Programme)
Physics:
Dr Physics A
Nope, how is C2 totally cray :P

Haha, just personally :smile: I did most of C1 at GCSE, so C2's pretty foreign to me. But really buddy, you'll be fine. I think with C2, there's a lot more trigonometry and you learn about Pascal's Triangle which has something to do with factorising expressions with disgustingly high powers. I forget though...
Reply 11
Could you recommend a certain textbook?

Thank you, and congratulations great results

For Maths, my sixth form supplied the OCR MEI textbooks (obviously specific to my course) and for physics I simply used the CGP one, which wasn't great. The 'Student Guides' from CGP are much better.

Youtubers saved my life!
Exam Solutions
Hegarty Maths
UKmathsteacher

Are the ones I can think of so far, good luck!
Reply 13
I got an A in A2 physics and in january i was getting D/E's. My advice is, unlike most people, when your grades are looking shabby to keep persevering. Eventually, it will all come together if you give it enough extra time.

Oh, and CGP is bae
Original post by tanya21
I got an A in A2 physics and in january i was getting D/E's. My advice is, unlike most people, when your grades are looking shabby to keep persevering. Eventually, it will all come together if you give it enough extra time.

Oh, and CGP is bae

Well done on the A, which exam board? Oh and what are you studying at uni? :smile:
Just finished AS maths and AS further maths and got an A in both, ExamSolutions on youtube was very helpful when I didn't quite understand certain things! But when it comes to revision, past papers is the best thing to do! My maths and further maths teacher forced all of their students to complete pretty much every single past paper there is and I am so thankful they did! They help you recognise the style of question you're likely to get in the actual exam and it's so helpful! Would recommend even doing certain papers twice if you find them to be quite difficult. Good luck!

for physics, theres the CGP revision guides (i think its aqa only) but those are really helpful. theres a guy called drphysicsA or something like that, look him up, he uses paper and highlighters to film (gotta sllightly odd accent, youll recognise him straight away). for maths though, you just gotta hammer past papers repeatedly. my maths is a good revision resource too however
Original post by naked mouse boy
for physics, theres the CGP revision guides (i think its aqa only) but those are really helpful. theres a guy called drphysicsA or something like that, look him up, he uses paper and highlighters to film (gotta sllightly odd accent, youll recognise him straight away). for maths though, you just gotta hammer past papers repeatedly. my maths is a good revision resource too however

Eek I'm doing physics maths and further maths. Excited, but what is the work load like? How many hours do you work roughly everyday outside school
Well... I was a massive slaker I did like an hour in total each night (that's a lie probably more like 45mins) but you should be aiming for at least an hour and a half. AT LEAST. Just make sure you have time for other stuff too. At th start of the year the work load isn't bad but as the year goes on, the teacher will set the same amount of work AND expect you to be doing a bit extra. If there's any advice I really you'll give, it's that you should listen to your teachers right from the get go.
Original post by naked mouse boy
Well... I was a massive slaker I did like an hour in total each night (that's a lie probably more like 45mins) but you should be aiming for at least an hour and a half. AT LEAST. Just make sure you have time for other stuff too. At th start of the year the work load isn't bad but as the year goes on, the teacher will set the same amount of work AND expect you to be doing a bit extra. If there's any advice I really you'll give, it's that you should listen to your teachers right from the get go.

What were your GCSE and A level results, if you dont mind my asking?

Quick Reply

Latest