The Student Room Group

Need help choosing 4th A Level option

Hello there.
I'm starting my sixth form in a week or so and on the 4th of September is the day where I finally confirm my A levels.
I want to do a Law degree in University and the A levels I've choosen so far is English Literature, Sociology, Goverment and Politics. The 4th option is either History or Economics, bear in mind I haven't studied History for GCSE I did Geography instead. Need advice please
Reply 1
I would advise choosing History as I've been told it develops very good skills requires for studying law. I did well in History gcse and A level but found that doing gcse History made no difference whatsoever to my success in a level, what does make a difference with this subject is whether you have an interest in it or not. If you dislike the course content it will be very hard to motivate yourself to learn such a high workload. Hope this helps hun :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I did basically the same a levels too by the way. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cjmro
I would advise choosing History as I've been told it develops very good skills requires for studying law. I did well in History gcse and A level but found that doing gcse History made no difference whatsoever to my success in a level, what does make a difference with this subject is whether you have an interest in it or not. If you dislike the course content it will be very hard to motivate yourself to learn such a high workload. Hope this helps hun :smile: x

Hey there, Thank you very much, this advice helped a ton. Now I'm leaning towards A Level History. Thank you a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey
Original post by cjmro

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there, thanks a ton. This advice has been very helpful and now I'm leaning towards A Level History. Thank you very much 😊😉😉
Reply 5
Original post by SheriffAbdi212
Hey there, thanks a ton. This advice has been very helpful and now I'm leaning towards A Level History. Thank you very much 😊😉😉

Awww I'm glad it has helped you! Don't hesitate to pm me if you have any other questions regarding this or a levels in general. I'm doing History and English at uni this year so might have some advice you could benefit from if you wanted x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello there.
I'm starting my sixth form in a week or so and on the 4th of September is the day where I finally confirm my A levels.
I want to do a Law degree in University and the A levels I've choosen so far is English Literature, Sociology, Goverment and Politics. The 4th option is either History or Economics, bear in mind I haven't studied History for GCSE I did Geography instead. Need advice please

You seem to have already made up your mind, but I thought that I would point out that doing History is a very common way into doing Law. Lots of people start off in the law career by doing a History degree, as it gives you vital skills in arguing. I'm not saying you should do a degree in History, but doing an A Level in it is definitely a good thing to do.
Reply 7
Hey, I know that universities like to see you studying at least two or three facilitating subjects (especially Russell Group ones), so I think that History would be the better option provided that you will enjoy the subject. It's also really great for studying Law; hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8
Hello there.

my friend was exactly like you as she had taken geography at GCSE but opted for history at Alevel and instantly it became her favourite subject. It may take a little more research as some stuff is the same as GCSE, so most students will already know stuff they covered the year before.
I think history probably goes better with your other choices, although a good economic grade does show strong maths capabilities which can be an asset to have

Quick Reply

Latest