The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Depleted
**** you lot got me hungry now

I know right ?
Original post by e aí rapaz
It had worcester sauce and balsamic vinegar too. Basically play it by ear on what you've got but I would build it heavily around the bbq sauce, bourbon and brown sugar.

I did steal the idea from a website, I'll try to find it.

Cheers man.

If you can't find it, what spices did you use? And chillies?
Original post by e aí rapaz
Jalfrezi is the one. It's my go-to curry every time.

Yeah defo. Not even the biggest fan of south asian curries(prefer a jamaican chicken curry) but it does the trick. What meat dish you like on it the most? I like the proper muscular meat you have to bite through but it falls off when you do bite it.

Also how do you guys thicken your sauces? I guess slow cooking helps but I use mixture of lentils and high fat dairy products(milk/cheese/butter) to thicken my sauces, it does it quicker but I guess you get the consistency when you slow cook it.
Has anyone (Wilf) been to the Turtle Bay near New Street? Caribbean place. Heavenly. Jerk chicken :sexface:
Original post by jam277
Also how do you guys thicken your sauces? I guess slow cooking helps but I use mixture of lentils and high fat dairy products(milk/cheese/butter) to thicken my sauces, it does it quicker but I guess you get the consistency when you slow cook it.

What sauces?

Cottage pie - flour
Curry - cook until it is the consistency I like

Original post by little_wizard123
Has anyone (Wilf) been to the Turtle Bay near New Street? Caribbean place. Heavenly. Jerk chicken :sexface:

Never :eek:

Might have to try it.
Original post by sr90
Remember one of my friends at uni hitting the gym one summer and he ate nothing but chicken for an entire week. It was quite funny coming in to the kitchen at 8am seeing him cooking up an entire chicken :lol:

Man is doing it wrong. But anyhow, was he fit?
Original post by Wilfred Little
What sauces?

Cottage pie - flour

Never :eek:

Might have to try it.

Yeah. Completely depends on the sauce. I generally cook stuff where flour is needed (cottage pie, gravy etc).

I'd definitely recommend it. Pretty rammed on a Saturday (you have to book). Pretty loud in there but who seriously wants to talk when eating ffs.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186402-d6548459-Reviews-Turtle_Bay_Caribbean_Restaurant-Birmingham_West_Midlands_England.html

94 out of 1,666 in Birmingham. Not too shabby.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little
What sauces?

Cottage pie - flour

I have a special sauce that I use(basically a cocktail involving ingredients such as Maggi, black pepper, chilli powder, Soy sauce, cloves, garlic, Rosemary, ginger, onions and whatever else I find around depending on the dish, usually curry powder/jerk powder/cumin seeds/beans etc)

I add tomatoes to it depending on the dish but that depends of course.

But I wanted to know, I guess slow cooking is the answer to my question, but I wanted to know what thickening agents people use. Flour seems interesting though.

Ain't got work tomorrow so I think I might just buy some flour and make a dish.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Yeah defo. Not even the biggest fan of south asian curries(prefer a jamaican chicken curry) but it does the trick. What meat dish you like on it the most? I like the proper muscular meat you have to bite through but it falls off when you do bite it.

I always used to have it with lamb. I love lamb so much.

But I don't eat meat anymore anyway.

Re: thickening, I also don't use anything. Just cook it until it simmers down to the consistency I want. My mum used to sometimes add cornflour though if she needed to thicken something in a hurry. It's basically flavourless.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
really big steak guy these days, got in to wine recently too. used to hate the stuff during first year because id buy the cheap crap to get drunk a$ap but the expensive stuff is actually nice and sweet.

Wine and Steak is something I'd like to try. Usually have my steak with a beer but I assume a sweet wine with some steak would be better as a meal in general.
Yeah. Completely depends on the sauce. I generally cook stuff where flour is needed (cottage pie, gravy etc).

If you've never tried it, make your cottage pie as normal but add a bottle of either strong English ale or double stout. Then cook until it's thickened up. The mince melts in your mouth. The smell once the ale is in is :cool:

I'd definitely recommend it. Pretty rammed on a Saturday (you have to book). Pretty loud in there but who seriously wants to talk when eating ffs.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186402-d6548459-Reviews-Turtle_Bay_Caribbean_Restaurant-Birmingham_West_Midlands_England.html

Cheers, looks decent mate.

Original post by jam277
I have a special sauce that I use(basically a cocktail involving ingredients such as Maggi, black pepper, chilli powder, Soy sauce, cloves, garlic, Rosemary, ginger, onions and whatever else I find around depending on the dish, usually curry powder/jerk powder/cumin seeds/beans etc)

I add tomatoes to it depending on the dish but that depends of course.

But I wanted to know, I guess slow cooking is the answer to my question, but I wanted to know what thickening agents people use. Flour seems interesting though.

Ain't got work tomorrow so I think I might just buy some flour and make a dish.

Don't use flour in a curry though.

Yeah I like to eat with a lot of people so that I don't feel forced to chip in with conversation.

Find it weird when guys take girls on dates to places because you have to talk to them.
Original post by jam277
Yeah I like to eat with a lot of people so that I don't feel forced to chip in with conversation.

Find it weird when guys take girls on dates to places because you have to talk to them.

Taken a few girls on dates in a restaurant. Not too bad as they just talk all the time and I can get on with why I'm there (to eat). Only issue is having to make eye contact and pretending to listen whilst avoiding dribbling katsu curry sauce down your shirt.

Some restaurants don't even let you do that. Some places like Flat Iron have a crowded place with music on. Takes pretending to listen to a whole new level.
Original post by jam277
Wine and Steak is something I'd like to try. Usually have my steak with a beer but I assume a sweet wine with some steak would be better as a meal in general.

You should, meals can get quite expensive if you're out though. There's a whole art of pairing wine with different cuts and cooks of beef, i'm not on that level, bit too noncey for me yet.
On a selfie stick do you use the self timing camera or is there a function on the stick where you can poke the capture button, I've always wondered :confused:
This is the Student Room right? f*ck me growing up sounds depressing
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
On a selfie stick do you use the self timing camera or is there a function on the stick where you can poke the capture button, I've always wondered :confused:

Just ask someone at the Emirates
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

most have the button but some dont
Original post by TornadoGR4
Just ask someone at the Emirates

:lol:

Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
most have the button but some dont

Oooh interesting :holmes:
Hope your intending to buy that selfie stick to club yourself to death with it for even considering buying one.

nah tbf it's different for girls, if a mate of mine bought and used one I wouldn't want to talk to him again

Latest