The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Study Abroad option for 2nd year

Hi everyone,
Im about to start my first year at keele to do a dual honours in English and Human Biology and Im deciding my electives for first year, so i can only choose up to a maximum of 30 credits.
Ive picked my approved programme elective for english and now i am choosing my free standing elective.
I want to study abroad in 2nd year (hopefully with erasmus) and I read that keele recommend i choose the intercultural communication as a free standing in preparation for it, however i want to continue to studying spanish (as i did it at a level and i really enjoyed it)

Do you have to take the Intercultural communication module to be eligible for studying abroad in 2nd year?

Pls reply thnx :yep::colondollar::s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ocelot_eyes
Hi everyone,
Im about to start my first year at keele to do a dual honours in English and Human Biology and Im deciding my electives for first year, so i can only choose up to a maximum of 30 credits.
Ive picked my approved programme elective for english and now i am choosing my free standing elective.
I want to study abroad in 2nd year (hopefully with erasmus) and I read that keele recommend i choose the intercultural communication as a free standing in preparation for it, however i want to continue to studying spanish (as i did it at a level and i really enjoyed it)

Do you have to take the Intercultural communication module to be eligible for studying abroad in 2nd year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

From what I gather I don't think you have to do the module to study abroad, it just prepare you for it. I think you'll learn about visas and insurance and things like that, I've chosen it but it's not compulsory for studying abroad! :smile:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Hi everyone,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm pretty sure it's compulsory to take the module if you want to study abroad. I remember them saying that in my first year. The best bet is to call them and ask! They're open Monday to Friday :-)
Hi everyone,

Posted from TSR Mobile

My name's Jodie. I work in the Student Services Centre which is where electives are based. You do not need to take Intercultural Communication module to do study abroad. It used to be compulsory but it no longer is for study abroad.

If you wanted to do all three modules you do have the option to pay for spanish as an additional module.

Hope this helps :smile:

If you have any more questions feel free to ask me :smile:
Original post by Keele University
My name's Jodie. I work in the Student Services Centre which is where electives are based. You do not need to take Intercultural Communication module to do study abroad. It used to be compulsory but it no longer is for study abroad.

If you wanted to do all three modules you do have the option to pay for spanish as an additional module.

Hope this helps :smile:

If you have any more questions feel free to ask me :smile:

Hi :smile:
I am also really wanting to study abroad in North America or Oceania for Geology but im just wondering how competitive is it?
Also, how many people apply typically every year compared to those accepted. Studying abroad is such an opportunity im really going to try and take but im wondering what my chances are. Any insight would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by Velocity_
Hi :smile:
I am also really wanting to study abroad in North America or Oceania for Geology but im just wondering how competitive is it?
Also, how many people apply typically every year compared to those accepted. Studying abroad is such an opportunity im really going to try and take but im wondering what my chances are. Any insight would be appreciated :smile:

I've just given the Study Abroad office a call. Lisa (Global Education and Erasmus Officer) has said they try to send all students who apply. Usually the only reason you wouldn't get to go on study abroad is if you don't have good academic standing - so if you do poorly in your exams. Also they wouldn't send you if it wasn't suitable for the course you are on.

Which sounds pretty good I think :smile:

Jodie
Original post by Keele University
I've just given the Study Abroad office a call. Lisa (Global Education and Erasmus Officer) has said they try to send all students who apply. Usually the only reason you wouldn't get to go on study abroad is if you don't have good academic standing - so if you do poorly in your exams. Also they wouldn't send you if it wasn't suitable for the course you are on.

Which sounds pretty good I think :smile:

Jodie

Oh ok thank you :smile:
Its pretty clear and sounds really exciting but one thing... haha what exactly is "good academic standing"? Its subjective but i think a good one would be a 2:2 or 2:1? i presume it is in the end up to the study abroad office.
Thanks anyway :smile:
Original post by Velocity_
Oh ok thank you :smile:
Its pretty clear and sounds really exciting but one thing... haha what exactly is "good academic standing"? Its subjective but i think a good one would be a 2:2 or 2:1? i presume it is in the end up to the study abroad office.
Thanks anyway :smile:

So since you are studying Geology you would have to go on Study Abroad in the 1st semester of your 2nd year.

Good academic standing means:
You need to get 55% or more on average in your 1st year. Also you cannot get below %50 in any principle subject modules (ones related to your course)

The study abroad fair is on 22nd October at Keele so you can go along to that and sign up for the information sessions.

Hope this helps!

Jodie

Quick Reply

Latest