The Student Room Group

MATH GCSE REMARK . worth it?

I got an A for my math GCSE ! i do edexcel IGCSE. Those who did that paper would know how hard it was compared to other years (well the whole of my school did anyway) Normally I get high A* ! Turns out i was one mark away from an A* ! Is this worth a remark? Cause with math it is either the right answer or it isnt .. i was thinking working marks or they counted it wrongly (hopefully) so.. is it worth it?! Anyone got a remark for math before?

Scroll to see replies

Go for it, if I was one mark off in anything, I would go for it. It's not too expensive, since it's only 1 subject, and who knows, you may get that extra mark, and an A* :smile: Worst that can happen is it stays the same or goes down a few marks, but it defo won't go down to a B if you already have such a high A.
Reply 2
Wtf is "math"???

Posted from NK
Reply 3
Definitely go for it by all means if your parents are willing to pay for it! There's no way you could go down a grade, as this would require you to lose 20-25% of your total marks (which would mean the person marking your exam did a pretty bad job:biggrin:), so you've really got nothing to lose!

Good luck, hope you get the extra mark:crossedf:
Nothing to lose but £50, that is.
Reply 5
Original post by Carnationlilyrose

True, but if you can afford it, it could mean that you end up with a better grade, and the mark changes then you'll get a refund too:smile:
Original post by rupey123
True, but if you can afford it, it could mean that you end up with a better grade, and the mark changes then you'll get a refund too:smile:

Yes, that is true, but the odds are well stacked against that happening.
"Math and maths are equally acceptable abbreviations of mathematics. The only difference is that math is preferred in the U.S. and Canada, and maths is preferred in the U.K., Australia, and most other English-speaking areas of the world."
Does this answer your curt question?

Original post by Lord Kim
Wtf is "math"???

Posted from NK
thank you! :smile:
Original post by Turtlebunny
Go for it, if I was one mark off in anything, I would go for it. It's not too expensive, since it's only 1 subject, and who knows, you may get that extra mark, and an A* :smile: Worst that can happen is it stays the same or goes down a few marks, but it defo won't go down to a B if you already have such a high A.
(edited 8 years ago)
I was two marks off a B and it is vital that I achieve a B in maths for future uni entry requirments. Should I get mine remarked or is it unlikely that I will gain those two extra marks?
I would go for that remark it's best to always have faith in something like this!
Original post by Mystic mauve
I was two marks off a B and it is vital that I achieve a B in maths for future uni entry requirments. Should I get mine remarked or is it unlikely that I will gain those two extra marks?

Get it remarked mate, I'm getting my english literature remarked which needs 1 mark for a B so it's best to : )

If it's Edexcel iGCSE as she said, it is less than half the price you said. If it results in a grade change to an A*, the full amount will be refunded.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/post-results-services.html

Original post by Mystic mauve
Yes, get it remarked.
Original post by lisaisabella
thanks you! :smile:

You're welcome, good luck with your remark; are you planning on doing A-level maths?
If it's Edexcel iGCSE as she said, it is less than half the price you said. If it results in a grade change to an A*, the full amount will be refunded.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/post-results-services.html

Yes, I know. £50-ish for two papers, which was stuck in my mind from answering another question.
Yes, I know. £50-ish for two papers, which was stuck in my mind from answering another question.

You don't necessarily need to mark both papers however to gain the one mark. If she were able to get her exams officer to provide her with the paper, mark scheme and a results plus direct login, then she could re-mark strategically.
You don't necessarily need to mark both papers however to gain the one mark. If she were able to get her exams officer to provide her with the paper, mark scheme and a results plus direct login, then she could re-mark strategically.

Yes, I know. I was thinking about another thread entirely when I answered. I'm sorry for the slip in my usual standards. I understand her options perfectly. FWIW I doubt it will change.
Yes, I know. I was thinking about another thread entirely when I answered. I'm sorry for the slip in my usual standards. I understand her options perfectly. FWIW I doubt it will change.

Haha, don't worry :smile:, I'm just making sure the OP is informed to make the right decision - after all, as you said, it would be a huge annoyance, and a waste of money, if it didn't change or went down; an A is still a really good grade. While maths is fairly accurate, so it isn't advisable to remark if you're quite a few marks off, it may be a good idea to remark if you're only a couple away; mistakes do happen when examiners mark, and I know plenty of people from my school who had their marks go up, and down, in maths.
You're welcome, good luck with your remark; are you planning on doing A-level maths?

yup! that's why I'm so keen on a remark! And yourself?xx
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
I would go for that remark it's best to always have faith in something like this!

thank you !

Quick Reply

Latest