The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for making this thread! You've got some excellent advice in your OP, a few little suggestions though. Firstly, as far as I'm aware, most Universities do not count Maths + Further Maths as one subject. The problem with doing A2 Maths, Further Maths and Spanish isn't the fact that you're taking Maths and Further Maths, but rather because there isn't a science subject there. Secondly, a lot of universities seem to have a strong preference for traditional sciences over Geology and Geography, so they'd much rather have applicants taking Physics or Chemistry over Geography and Geology.

Are you applying for 2016 entry?
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
Thanks for making this thread! You've got some excellent advice in your OP, a few little suggestions though. Firstly, as far as I'm aware, most Universities do not count Maths + Further Maths as one subject. The problem with doing A2 Maths, Further Maths and Spanish isn't the fact that you're taking Maths and Further Maths, but rather because there isn't a science subject there. Secondly, a lot of universities seem to have a strong preference for traditional sciences over Geology and Geography, so they'd much rather have applicants taking Physics or Chemistry over Geography and Geology.

Are you applying for 2016 entry?

I partially agree with your first point. Related subjects such as Maths and Further Maths, or Biology and Applied Biology counts as 1 subject . Exeter's entry requirement:

Spoiler

For geoscience courses such as Geology, there is not much preferential difference between Physics and Geology.Imperial entry requirement for Geology

Spoiler

This is listed in order of preference.Notice how Geography is listed last so applying for BSc Geology with Geology and Geography at A2 will not be the same as Geology and Maths for example.

Yes i am
Original post by Semaphore
I partially agree with your first point. Related subjects such as Maths and Further Maths, or Biology and Applied Biology counts as 1 subject . Exeter's entry requirement:

Spoiler

For geoscience courses such as Geology, there is not much preferential difference between Physics and Geology.Imperial entry requirement for Geology

Spoiler

. Notice how Geography is listed last so applying for BSc Geology with Geology and Geography at A2 will not be the same as Geology and Maths for example.

That may well be Exeter's requirements but I really do not think that's a general rule. I know as a fact that Oxford, Imperial and Bristol all consider Further Maths to be a full A Level in its own right. Also, I was told at Oxford and Imperial that they both consider Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics to be the best combination for their courses. Oxford's entry requirements are Maths + Chemistry or Physics.
Reply 4
That may well be Exeter's requirements but I really do not think that's a general rule. I know as a fact that Oxford, Imperial and Bristol all consider Further Maths to be a full A Level in its own right. Also, I was told at Oxford and Imperial that they both consider Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics to be the best combination for their courses. Oxford's entry requirements are Maths + Chemistry or Physics.

Oxbridge do not offer a Geology course. Generally, when we are speaking about Oxbridge, its usually different. Doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics is obviously the best option since it fufills both requirements. I think you've misunderstood what i said, FM in itself is a full A-Level, but when Universities ask for 2 science subjects, they generally do not mean Maths and Further Maths.
Original post by Semaphore
Oxbridge do not offer a Geology course. Generally, when we are speaking about Oxbridge, its usually different. Doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics is obviously the best option since it fufills both requirements. I think you've misunderstood what i said, FM in itself is a full A-Level, but when Universities ask for 2 science subjects, they generally do not mean Maths and Further Maths.

Oxford does have a Geology course, I'm about to start it in October! Anyway though, we're nitpicking. As long as you've got a good scientific and mathematical background, you're good to go for Geology.
Reply 6
Have to agree with Plagioclase here. If someone is thinking about studying geology/earth sciences then I would strongly urge them to go for A levels in core science/maths subjects rather than go for geography/geology. That being said they are still useful, relevant subjects and plenty of universities will accept them as science subjects. It is fine to pick them if you really want but just make sure you have at least two core science A levels alongside there to increase your options.

I graduated from Imperial College with a degree in Earth Sciences, and it was my observation that those with the core science subjects were the most prepared. Those with fewer core sciences had more catching up to do, regardless of whether they had studied geology before or not.
Hello, hopeful palaeontologist checking in!
Reply 8
Hoping to study Geology next year and I'm just about to start an Access to Science course for it.
I might have to do my degree part time due to having funding for previous uncompleted study :frown: If it was still 3k i could fund myself but 9k.....*cries*
I'm hoping to study geology next year, just got an A in my as exams. I think Leeds has quite a good geology course.

While I'm here does anyone have a suggestion for my epq title? I need to do it about geology or physical geography and it can't be part of the syllabus. I am doing wjec geology and Aqa geography.
Original post by Lemmy1210
I'm hoping to study geology next year, just got an A in my as exams. I think Leeds has quite a good geology course.

While I'm here does anyone have a suggestion for my epq title? I need to do it about geology or physical geography and it can't be part of the syllabus. I am doing wjec geology and Aqa geography.

Are there any topics that you think are particularly interesting? For instance, I've always been very interested in climate change and the environment so I looked at what's currently going on in the world in these areas and saw some discussions about the "Anthropocene". I thought that looked interesting, did a bit more research and (eventually, after a month or two) decided on the title "Have we entered the Anthropocene?". There must be an area that you're particularly interested in so have a look at current events in that area and see if anything catches your eye.
Are there any topics that you think are particularly interesting? For instance, I've always been very interested in climate change and the environment so I looked at what's currently going on in the world in these areas and saw some discussions about the "Anthropocene". I thought that looked interesting, did a bit more research and (eventually, after a month or two) decided on the title "Have we entered the Anthropocene?". There must be an area that you're particularly interested in so have a look at current events in that area and see if anything catches your eye.

That actually sounds really interesting (just googled it). Thank you. It's a topic that covers the geological sides and geography, I would have never thought of that. :biggrin:
That actually sounds really interesting (just googled it). Thank you. It's a topic that covers the geological sides and geography, I would have never thought of that. :biggrin:

Please don't reuse that question though, the last thing you want is to have your EPQ invalidated (you're supposed to be coming up with the question yourself!). If you do think the Anthropocene is an area that might interest you, I suggest you at least choose a slightly different question and put your own spin on it.
Please don't reuse that question though, the last thing you want is to have your EPQ invalidated (you're supposed to be coming up with the question yourself!). If you do think the Anthropocene is an area that might interest you, I suggest you at least choose a slightly different question and put your own spin on it.

I think I need to do a bit more reading around the topic first then to find my question, thanks for your help.
Original post by Zottula
Have to agree with Plagioclase here. If someone is thinking about studying geology/earth sciences then I would strongly urge them to go for A levels in core science/maths subjects rather than go for geography/geology. That being said they are still useful, relevant subjects and plenty of universities will accept them as science subjects. It is fine to pick them if you really want but just make sure you have at least two core science A levels alongside there to increase your options.

I graduated from Imperial College with a degree in Earth Sciences, and it was my observation that those with the core science subjects were the most prepared. Those with fewer core sciences had more catching up to do, regardless of whether they had studied geology before or not.

I'm doing geography geology maths and f maths, do you think this is okay?

Probably, the only university I'm aware of that you wouldn't be able to apply to is Oxford.
Reply 16

Yes maths and geology is okay
Hi, I'm applying for geophysics this year. Hoping to get into Imperial :smile:
Original post by _Carmel_
Hi, I'm applying for geophysics this year. Hoping to get into Imperial :smile:

Good luck! Where else are you applying?
Good luck! Where else are you applying?

Thanks, I'm definitely applying for UCL and Liverpool but i'm not completely decided on the last 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending