The Student Room Group
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth

|| Falmouth Freshers 2015 ||

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josef Cooper
Haha yea believe it or not I've actually been given a single room in glasney tonight haha! Couldn't believe It ! Same here I was given a single room at the Sidings too but I really wanted Glasney so I left it!

Ahh you've made the wrong choice, should've picked the sidings :wink:

jk. Glasney is pretty cool. Both are tbh.
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth
Original post by Novascope
Ahh you've made the wrong choice, should've picked the sidings :wink:

jk. Glasney is pretty cool. Both are tbh.

hahaha well im sure we'll see each other at uni at some point :biggrin:
Original post by Josef Cooper
hahaha well im sure we'll see each other at uni at some point :biggrin:

We might do! The house I'm living in this year is a 5 min walk from Glasney. So you might see me struggling to walk up the mountain steps they have :frown:
We might do! The house I'm living in this year is a 5 min walk from Glasney. So you might see me struggling to walk up the mountain steps they have :frown:

Woah woah woah... steps?? I hope you mean near your new house and not Glasney. O:
Original post by charlottei
Woah woah woah... steps?? I hope you mean near your new house and not Glasney. O:

Basically there are massive steps around glasney, and the whole of campus really. But depending on where you're put you may have to use the mountain steps which are next to a bus stop most Glasney people get off at from nights out/town, or if you want a short cut to your flat. So I have to use it because it's closer to my house, unless I want to walk a longer route.
Hey, I noticed the 2014 Falmouth freshers thread was already made by this point in the year, so I thought it was about time we had one too! :biggrin:

So who has received offers from/firmed Falmouth, and what subjects are you all doing?

Is Falmouth pronounced as Fal-muth? Who here is from a private school?
Basically there are massive steps around glasney, and the whole of campus really. But depending on where you're put you may have to use the mountain steps which are next to a bus stop most Glasney people get off at from nights out/town, or if you want a short cut to your flat. So I have to use it because it's closer to my house, unless I want to walk a longer route.

Ahhh no! I was looking forward not having to trek up stairs every day (like I do to get to the place I've been working)... Haha I'm sure I'll cope. :smile: Fingers crossed I get a decent spot.

Original post by nothepreacher

Yep! And not me but I'm sure someone will be...
Original post by nothepreacher

Haha yea Fal-muth :biggrin: aye I went to a private school haha
Ahhh no! I was looking forward not having to trek up stairs every day (like I do to get to the place I've been working)... Haha I'm sure I'll cope. :smile: Fingers crossed I get a decent spot.

Yep! And not me but I'm sure someone will be...

Yep you better get used to it! Many lovely hills to walk up around Penryn/Falmouth haha.
Yep you better get used to it! Many lovely hills to walk up around Penryn/Falmouth haha.

Oh I can cope a bit better with hills, aha. And I'm thinking maybe my grudge against stairs is due to the fact I have to manage 8 flights (over 4 floors, admittedly) every morning at the moment!

How have you found the uni buildings? They looked great when I visited, but admittedly that was the open day so might not be an accurate representation. :P
Oh I can cope a bit better with hills, aha. And I'm thinking maybe my grudge against stairs is due to the fact I have to manage 8 flights (over 4 floors, admittedly) every morning at the moment!

How have you found the uni buildings? They looked great when I visited, but admittedly that was the open day so might not be an accurate representation. :P

Oh well that's good. I hate walking around town aha. I feel sorry for you and those stairs :frown:

The buildings are pretty lovely actually. Pretty accurate to open day aha. They've been building new extensions around campus from what I remember and they might be done by September. Both campuses are really beautiful.
Oh well that's good. I hate walking around town aha. I feel sorry for you and those stairs :frown:

The buildings are pretty lovely actually. Pretty accurate to open day aha. They've been building new extensions around campus from what I remember and they might be done by September. Both campuses are really beautiful.

Haha, I'm exactly the same - really not into walking if I can avoid it!

And ahh that's so good to hear. I was really hoping that was the case. All the pictures I've seen look amazing... I'm so excited to go now. :biggrin:
Haha, I'm exactly the same - really not into walking if I can avoid it!

And ahh that's so good to hear. I was really hoping that was the case. All the pictures I've seen look amazing... I'm so excited to go now. :biggrin:

You'll love Falmouth :smile: just make the most of everything otherwise you'll regret it. What course are you doing? Also ignore people who say first year doesn't count. Do your best in it. Better to have bagged a first or 2:1 in first year than a 3rd or 2:2 and have to work extra hard next year.
You'll love Falmouth :smile: just make the most of everything otherwise you'll regret it. What course are you doing? Also ignore people who say first year doesn't count. Do your best in it. Better to have bagged a first or 2:1 in first year than a 3rd or 2:2 and have to work extra hard next year.

I really hope so! And I'm doing Graphic Design.

Yeah I've heard that a lot of people waste their first year, and I'm determined not to do that. I'll do my best, but my main worry is being able to balance everything. I want to still have fun in my first year whilst keeping on top of my studies. :/ I'm hoping it won't be a case of the classic conundrum... Good grades / A social life / Enough sleep - pick two. :P

How did you find it? Does it get easier after the first couple of months?
I really hope so! And I'm doing Graphic Design.

Yeah I've heard that a lot of people waste their first year, and I'm determined not to do that. I'll do my best, but my main worry is being able to balance everything. I want to still have fun in my first year whilst keeping on top of my studies. :/ I'm hoping it won't be a case of the classic conundrum... Good grades / A social life / Enough sleep - pick two. :P

How did you find it? Does it get easier after the first couple of months?

Ahh cool, one of my old flatmates does that. Except he doesn't seem to be taking uni seriously lol.

Hmm tbh I think you can balance both. What I've learnt that I could've done in first year is after finishing my lectures/seminars, if I have any work to do just go straight to the library and complete it. That way I don't have to go home and fight of temptations to laze around or go out. Monday-Wednesday are pretty quiet nights in town, they have like open mic and quiz night in the Stannary, but you could easily skip those and revise, or complete work that way by the weekend you should be free enough to have time to yourself :smile: That's what I'm going to do this year.
Ahh cool, one of my old flatmates does that. Except he doesn't seem to be taking uni seriously lol.

Hmm tbh I think you can balance both. What I've learnt that I could've done in first year is after finishing my lectures/seminars, if I have any work to do just go straight to the library and complete it. That way I don't have to go home and fight of temptations to laze around or go out. Monday-Wednesday are pretty quiet nights in town, they have like open mic and quiz night in the Stannary, but you could easily skip those and revise, or complete work that way by the weekend you should be free enough to have time to yourself :smile: That's what I'm going to do this year.

Haha well here's hoping I don't end up like your flatmate!

And that makes a lot of sense. I guess it's best to get into good habits early on. :smile: I'm wondering what studying in the library will be like - I absolutely hated it at college. But then we didn't have a great library, and it was always busy and loud. Still, I bet the temptation to go home will be pretty strong.

Thanks for your tips by the way. (: I like the idea of freeing up the weekends!
Haha well here's hoping I don't end up like your flatmate!

And that makes a lot of sense. I guess it's best to get into good habits early on. :smile: I'm wondering what studying in the library will be like - I absolutely hated it at college. But then we didn't have a great library, and it was always busy and loud. Still, I bet the temptation to go home will be pretty strong.

Thanks for your tips by the way. (: I like the idea of freeing up the weekends!

As someone who never really stepped foot in my local library or college library, I love the library on campus. There's a brilliant quiet section for those who need peace (which they get) group sections, and other parts which are still easy to concentrate in. You're even allowed to bring in food to eat (did an all nighter with some friends and got dominoes in haha) The fact that it's open 24/7 is great for those who may need to just get out of their halls/house for some alone time, or want to finish something for the next day.

And no problem! I wish I had someone to tell me little useful tips, so I'm always more than happy to help :smile:
As someone who never really stepped foot in my local library or college library, I love the library on campus. There's a brilliant quiet section for those who need peace (which they get) group sections, and other parts which are still easy to concentrate in. You're even allowed to bring in food to eat (did an all nighter with some friends and got dominoes in haha) The fact that it's open 24/7 is great for those who may need to just get out of their halls/house for some alone time, or want to finish something for the next day.

And no problem! I wish I had someone to tell me little useful tips, so I'm always more than happy to help :smile:

Wow that sounds great! Especially the food thing, that's really surprising. It's such a little thing to be able to do but I bet it would make a really big difference during marathon study sessions. Haha I remember seeing student carrying a Dominoes box last time I came to Falmouth, I got really over excited. :')
Reply 398
This is a question for people who are staying/have stayed in the Sidings. According to the booking site the first rent payment is due on Wednesday, but I don't know how we're meant to pay it? The maintenance loan etc isnt being paid into our accounts until the first day, right? And I can't afford to pay £500 right now. I thought we were meant to use the student loan for rent but how can we pay before we've even got the money? I've contacted them about this but I was wondering if you guys knew anything?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending