The Student Room Group

Medical Speciality

Starting 3rd year and still have no idea of what I want to get into. Want to do an intercalated degree but is there any magical way of finding out what specialities I would like? Any stories about how people became interested in their field?
Well having no idea in 3rd year is pretty normal. That is why FY1 gives you a few options.

I have not done an intercalated degree but I doubt it is designed to restrictive for future choices.
Reply 2
Original post by Medist
Starting 3rd year and still have no idea of what I want to get into. Want to do an intercalated degree but is there any magical way of finding out what specialities I would like? Any stories about how people became interested in their field?

Doesn't matter if your intercalated degree is particularly related at the moment, if you're not sure. Pick something you like the sound of and try to do well, the points for your grade and any publications will still count whatever you go into.
Reply 3
The closest way to a magical way is using the BMA's access to Sci59 which is (relatively) evidence based and accredited. It will give you a ranked list of specialties from most fitting to least fitting your personality, your goals, what you enjoy, etc. It's a Myers Briggs kind of thing - speaking of Myers Briggs if you know your type there's a published list of, again, (relatively) evidence based correlations between type and specialty.
Reply 4
For an intercalated degree the most important thing is to do something you are genuinely interested in. A year can be a pretty long time stuck doing something you hate. Some intercalations are geared pretty specifically towards certain specialties eg. Emergency Care at Peninsula, but most are more general. And even if your interests change dramatically, doing any intercalation will give you points on your FP and specialty applications.

With regards to what speciality you're interested in... Honestly, it will come over time. You can't really work out whether you like something until you've seen it in action. You will experience a lot of specialities over clinical and foundation years, and will get a good idea of what you're into. There are also taster weeks in foundation years that are designed to help you work this stuff out

A few things that might help you start thinking about it though:
Medicine or Surgery? This is a pretty big split, and you'll want to know which you're interested in by foundation. Most people don't find this bit difficult
Competitiveness - are you interested in slaving yourself to death getting into neurosurgery? If not, you can probably strike it off
Lifestyle - different specialities have different lifestyle in terms of unsociable hours and on-calls. Comsider Emergency medicine vs. dermatology. What kind of life do you want to lead?

Honestly, if nothing stands out hugely to you that's okay. Some people have an interest in a certain field from day one, but most don't. Most people I've spoken to went into their field as a result of a strongly positive experience working a certain job. For example an oncology consultant who teaches us did an oncology foundation post and found the patients were extremely grateful and friendly, and his consultant was extremely nice and supportive. So he stuck with it. It doesn't have to be anything deeper than that.

I don't really know what I want to do either. I'm currently interested in Emergency Medicine, but while it may be fun as a student, working the job is very different. I don't know whether it will suit me. Otherwise... definitely medicine, and interested in trying out psych and GP, but I honestly have no idea. I think it's good to keep your options open and not blinker yourself too much as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending