The Student Room Group

How many AS resits is too many?

Hi,
This year I received my AS results with which I was slightly disappointed.
My grades were:
General Studies B
Media Studies C
English language D
Geography D
Biology U

They were broken down as follows:
General studies B Unit 1 64c
General Studies B Unit 2 76b
Media Studies Unit 1 46e
Media Studies Unit 2 85a
English Language B Unit 1 59e
English Language B Unit 2 49c
Geography Unit 1 70d
Geography Unit 2 35d
Biology Unit 1 27u
Biology Unit 2 50u
Biology Unit 3X 30d

Given that my targets were:
Media Studies C
English Language C
Geography B
Biology B
I think I was rightly disappointed.

So, I know it isn't ideal but I was planning on doing resits for Media Studies Unit 1 (Grade E) and English Language B Unit 1 (Grade E). I think that if I work hard I can pull them both up to a C, therefore improving my overall AS grades. I was then thinking that I could also resit one of my geography exams which leads to my main question- Would 3 AS resits be too many whilst I am also doing A2 Media Studies, English Language, Geography and General Studies. If you hadn't already guessed from results Biology is the subject I will be dropping. Not simply because it is nearly impossible to rectify my biology grades and that it would mean more resits but also I just hated biology more than I've ever hated anything before.

So, I did 8 AS exams and if I did resits for AS media and English that would mean I would do the same amount of exams this year: 1 Media, 1 English, 2 Geography, 2 General Studies and the 2 resits. However if I also did a geography resit that would mean I would doing 3 AS resits whilst also doing my 6 other A2 exams.

Are 3 resits too many? Will I cope with 2? Have I made the right choice continuing with A2 general studies (It was my best grade at AS) and how much will the resits effect my A2 studies?
Thank you for taking the time to read this
Any advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by GeorgeFoggy
Hi,
This year I received my AS results with which I was slightly disappointed.
My grades were:
General Studies B
Media Studies C
English language D
Geography D
Biology U

They were broken down as follows:
General studies B Unit 1 64c
General Studies B Unit 2 76b
Media Studies Unit 1 46e
Media Studies Unit 2 85a
English Language B Unit 1 59e
English Language B Unit 2 49c
Geography Unit 1 70d
Geography Unit 2 35d
Biology Unit 1 27u
Biology Unit 2 50u
Biology Unit 3X 30d

Given that my targets were:
Media Studies C
English Language C
Geography B
Biology B
I think I was rightly disappointed.

So, I know it isn't ideal but I was planning on doing resits for Media Studies Unit 1 (Grade E) and English Language B Unit 1 (Grade E). I think that if I work hard I can pull them both up to a C, therefore improving my overall AS grades. I was then thinking that I could also resit one of my geography exams which leads to my main question- Would 3 AS resits be too many whilst I am also doing A2 Media Studies, English Language, Geography and General Studies. If you hadn't already guessed from results Biology is the subject I will be dropping. Not simply because it is nearly impossible to rectify my biology grades and that it would mean more resits but also I just hated biology more than I've ever hated anything before.

So, I did 8 AS exams and if I did resits for AS media and English that would mean I would do the same amount of exams this year: 1 Media, 1 English, 2 Geography, 2 General Studies and the 2 resits. However if I also did a geography resit that would mean I would doing 3 AS resits whilst also doing my 6 other A2 exams.

Are 3 resits too many? Will I cope with 2? Have I made the right choice continuing with A2 general studies (It was my best grade at AS) and how much will the resits effect my A2 studies?
Thank you for taking the time to read this
Any advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance.

What uni courses are you looking at? What grades do they want? If you think you can achieve that grades they want without a resit then that would be good. I am considering resitting 3 of mine too, so I am in the same boat. 3 should be manageable I think, as long as you don't give less time to a particular subject; unless your super confident with it. I would talk to your teachers and see what they think, that is what I am going to do. All the best, good luck, I hope you achieve what you want to achieve :smile: !
Reply 2
Original post by Emsta
What uni courses are you looking at? What grades do they want? If you think you can achieve that grades they want without a resit then that would be good. I am considering resitting 3 of mine too, so I am in the same boat. 3 should be manageable I think, as long as you don't give less time to a particular subject; unless your super confident with it. I would talk to your teachers and see what they think, that is what I am going to do. All the best, good luck, I hope you achieve what you want to achieve :smile: !

Thank you for your advice. I will talk to my teachers when I get back and hopefully everything will work out well in the end. I am looking at university courses such as Marketing, Advertising, Journalism and Media Studies. At the end of the day all I want is a minimum of 3 Cs but a B and 2 Cs would be ideal. Thanks again and all the best to you too :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you for your advice. I will talk to my teachers when I get back and hopefully everything will work out well in the end. I am looking at university courses such as Marketing, Advertising, Journalism and Media Studies. At the end of the day all I want is a minimum of 3 Cs but a B and 2 Cs would be ideal. Thanks again and all the best to you too :smile:

Thanks and yeah just see your teachers and have a look at what grades the courses want, the ucas website and whats uni are good websites :smile:
Reply 4
Is media studies and general studies hard? I was looking to take the media AS and general studies whole a level alongside my A2 as the workload is very light apparently. I ideally want C's for both so any tips?
regarding your situation 2 is for sure manageable and if you put the work in three will be fine too.
Reply 5
Original post by alexp98
Is media studies and general studies hard? I was looking to take the media AS and general studies whole a level alongside my A2 as the workload is very light apparently. I ideally want C's for both so any tips?
regarding your situation 2 is for sure manageable and if you put the work in three will be fine too.

I took Media Studies for AS having not done it at GCSE. It instantly became my favourite subject and has since shaped my career aspirations. It is not a particularly difficult subject and the coursework was actually enjoyable. General Studies is not hard at all. I didn't revise for the exams and didn't turn up to a couple of lessons and came out with a B. Obviously I don't recommend you do the same. It's a bit of doss subject hence why most universities don't accept it as a qualification. However some do and I have decided to continue with it at A2 since it was my best AS grade and is only one lesson a week. The workload is extremely light in general studies although, bear in mind that it is an extra 2 exams. C's in both is achievable if you work hard. Media is commonly thought of as an easy subject and this was part of the reason I took it for AS without really knowing what it was about. I found it enjoyable and not particularly challenging but as always speak to your teachers to find out more. Feel free to ask me any questions, I'm happy to help. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I took Media Studies for AS having not done it at GCSE. It instantly became my favourite subject and has since shaped my career aspirations. It is not a particularly difficult subject and the coursework was actually enjoyable. General Studies is not hard at all. I didn't revise for the exams and didn't turn up to a couple of lessons and came out with a B. Obviously I don't recommend you do the same. It's a bit of doss subject hence why most universities don't accept it as a qualification. However some do and I have decided to continue with it at A2 since it was my best AS grade and is only one lesson a week. The workload is extremely light in general studies although, bear in mind that it is an extra 2 exams. C's in both is achievable if you work hard. Media is commonly thought of as an easy subject and this was part of the reason I took it for AS without really knowing what it was about. I found it enjoyable and not particularly challenging but as always speak to your teachers to find out more. Feel free to ask me any questions, I'm happy to help. :smile:

Thanks a lot, regarding general studies is there anything that can help as i'm applying to a uni that does accept it so need to do well, at least a C. WIll have an extra 4 exams as i'm doing the whole A level. Also, for Media what is the coursework like and what do you do? I'm not sure on my exam board yet, will find out when i get back to school and what would be a good score to get in the coursework that would be me in a very good position in the exam to get a C? Thanks, any help appreciated :smile:

Also, just any general tips/ revision tips or regrets you had while doing media would be helpful so ii can hit the ground running!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by alexp98
Thanks a lot, regarding general studies is there anything that can help as i'm applying to a uni that does accept it so need to do well, at least a C. WIll have an extra 4 exams as i'm doing the whole A level. Also, for Media what is the coursework like and what do you do? I'm not sure on my exam board yet, will find out when i get back to school and what would be a good score to get in the coursework that would be me in a very good position in the exam to get a C? Thanks, any help appreciated :smile:

Also, just any general tips/ revision tips or regrets you had while doing media would be helpful so ii can hit the ground running!

Unfortunately there's not a lot of help I can give you regarding general studies. It's a lot of common knowledge really with topics such as politics, environmental issues, conflict ect. It's really about what's going on in the world so watch the news every so often and you'll be fine.
As for media studies, the coursework module gives you a great deal of creative freedom. For my AS coursework I created 4 pages of a magazine (including the front cover) and 3 website pages that were part of a fully functioning website. You must do all your own photography which was probably the most challenging part as I found it difficult getting the images to look professional (a lot of editing was required). My coursework got 85 marks which was an A however I got an E in the exam with 46 marks so I can't really judge what a good coursework score would be to put you in a good position in the exam. It's not really difficult to get a good coursework grade so the I'm sure you'll be in a good position for the exam anyway.
One tip for the media coursework and I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times from all your teachers but choose a coursework topic that you'll enjoy, for example I based mine around football because it's a major hobby of mine. It's also something I know a lot about and I could therefore easily write articles for my magazine and website. The coursework takes up a good chunk of the course so it'd be a huge disadvantage if you chose to work with a topic that doesn't interest you. :smile:
I didn't do well at AS and I plan on retaking at least 2 of my subjects, alongside A2! I'm sure that this probably doesn't help you but at least you know you're not alone in regards to retaking. If you think you could balance all the work then you should go for it. :smile: good luck. :biggrin:
Reply 9
sorry to hijack thread, but is 4 resits in bio/chem unit 1s and c1,s1 workable with a2s in maths/bio/chem?
Original post by Sammy9898
I didn't do well at AS and I plan on retaking at least 2 of my subjects, alongside A2! I'm sure that this probably doesn't help you but at least you know you're not alone in regards to retaking. If you think you could balance all the work then you should go for it. :smile: good luck. :biggrin:

Thank you! Good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by dash52
sorry to hijack thread, but is 4 resits in bio/chem unit 1s and c1,s1 workable with a2s in maths/bio/chem?

No problem. 4 resits sounds like a stretch in those subjects but they're not subjects that I'm familiar with so I can't really judge whether the workload would be too much or not. You might need to speak to someone who has more experience studying these subjects. Sorry I couldn't really help :/
I advise you to start a new thread so you can speak to people who can provide you with more information than I can. Again, sorry for not being all that helpful. Good luck in the future :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by dash52

After learning C3 and C4 I you're in good shape you will send C1 to hell I'd say quite confidently. Stats takes a bit more effort I think as you're not going over the content again and will need to dedicate more of your own time.
Reply 13
Original post by Asurat
After learning C3 and C4 I you're in good shape you will send C1 to hell I'd say quite confidently. Stats takes a bit more effort I think as you're not going over the content again and will need to dedicate more of your own time.

going to work hardcore n efficiently this year. I saw your grow your grades thread congrats on grades! How do u post a new thread
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by dash52
going to work hardcore n efficiently this year. I saw your grow your grades thread congrats on grades! How do u post a new thread

Thanks man, and you have to wait until next year for the new competition, I'll be sure to follow along!

Quick Reply

Latest