The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stardude8
I got one a day or two after results day, not sure how many of them to buy now and how many to look for at uni in librairies/borrowing. Have you not got yours yet? If not, it should come in a few days/weeks so dw. What uni are you going to?

No I haven't got mine! It's really frustrating. I'm scared that all of the books are going to be very expensive.
Cambridge - what about you?
Original post by hannahtetteh
No I haven't got mine! It's really frustrating. I'm scared that all of the books are going to be very expensive.
Cambridge - what about you?

Don't buy any! Everything you need can be borrowed

Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Damn, that's a big difference :tongue:Hey what's the difference between BA and BSc when it comes to employability?

I don't think it makes much difference, it comes down to personal preference.
Reply 3842
Original post by cacra
Good luck!

Do you have any plans for a gap year if you don't get in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Yeah if my remark is unsuccessful and I have to take a gap year then I'll probably get a work placement and resit C3 and C4 and maybe do AS Further Maths as well. I'd still rather just get in now though:/
Reply 3843
So my remark stayed the same meaning I've missed my UCL offer by 1 mark. I'm considering saying no to Bath and reapplying to other unis during a gap year spent mostly doing a work placement, whilst resitting C3 and C4 and doing AS further maths, and maybe even resitting a physics module to try get another A*.

I was wondering, does anyone here know of anyone who got into Oxford/Cambridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick when applying during a gap year? Bearing in mind I had 10 A*s at GCSE but I didn't do as well at A Level due to extenuating medical circumstances which disadvantaged me greatly, do you think I'd have a realistic chance of getting an offer if I applied to the aforementioned unis during my gap year?
Original post by fha96
So my remark stayed the same meaning I've missed my UCL offer by 1 mark. I'm considering saying no to Bath and reapplying to other unis during a gap year spent mostly doing a work placement, whilst resitting C3 and C4 and doing AS further maths, and maybe even resitting a physics module to try get another A*.

I was wondering, does anyone here know of anyone who got into Oxford/Cambridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick when applying during a gap year? Bearing in mind I had 10 A*s at GCSE but I didn't do as well at A Level due to extenuating medical circumstances which disadvantaged me greatly, do you think I'd have a realistic chance of getting an offer if I applied to the aforementioned unis during my gap year?

What were your a level results?
Original post by fha96

I was rejected by warwick and Cambridge and so I firmed bath but I also debated taking a gap year. In the end the only rational decision was to go to bath as it is only marginally inferior to the other 2 in terms of job prospects due to the placement year and it seems an awesome student city!
Original post by fha96

Sorry to hear that, was hoping you'd get that mark :frown:
Take Bath, with the placement year, I think, it's only marginally worse than UCL, and the placement year is invaluable.
I think with the extenuating circumstances, you'd get the offer from them, not sure what would happen with regards to their resit policy.
Original post by fha96

I would take Bath. The difference in prospects between bath and Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick isn't worth taking a gap year for unless you're set on IB imo. I'm unsure on whether they would look kindly upon the fact you're essentially taking your A levels across 3 years. I know that UCL specify that the grades must be achieved in the first sitting.
Reply 3848
Original post by NinjaPandaa
What were your a level results?

I got A*AAA with the A* in Welsh Bac and the As in maths, biology and physics.

Original post by louisjones
I was rejected by warwick and Cambridge and so I firmed bath but I also debated taking a gap year. In the end the only rational decision was to go to bath as it is only marginally inferior to the other 2 in terms of job prospects due to the placement year and it seems an awesome student city!

That's fair enough, personally I didn't like the city even though the university is nice and modern. The city is just too old and boring for me lol

Original post by H0PEL3SS
Sorry to hear that, was hoping you'd get that mark :frown:
Take Bath, with the placement year, I think, it's only marginally worse than UCL, and the placement year is invaluable.
I think with the extenuating circumstances, you'd get the offer from them, not sure what would happen with regards to their resit policy.

Ah well, it's extremely gutting but can't do anything about it now man :frown: I've contacted the unis and they said they'd consider me since I was disadvantaged with my extenuating circumstances first time around. Graduate prospects for Bath are really good I guess but still, I'd rather have a top, top unis name on my CV tbh

Original post by Bloxorus
I would take Bath. The difference in prospects between bath and Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick isn't worth taking a gap year for unless you're set on IB imo. I'm unsure on whether they would look kindly upon the fact you're essentially taking your A levels across 3 years. I know that UCL specify that the grades must be achieved in the first sitting.

My main aim is IB atm but I'm open to other careers like management consultancy as well. I've explained my situation to the unis and they said they would consider me if I reapplied, but I'm just more concerned about knowing whether others have managed to get into these top unis when applying during a gap year, since I don't want to use 4 of my 5 application slots on 4 top unis which barely ever take post-gap year students
Original post by fha96
I got A*AAA with the A* in Welsh Bac and the As in maths, biology and physics.

That's fair enough, personally I didn't like the city even though the university is nice and modern. The city is just too old and boring for me lol

Ah well, it's extremely gutting but can't do anything about it now man :frown: I've contacted the unis and they said they'd consider me since I was disadvantaged with my extenuating circumstances first time around. Graduate prospects for Bath are really good I guess but still, I'd rather have a top, top unis name on my CV tbh

My main aim is IB atm but I'm open to other careers like management consultancy as well. I've explained my situation to the unis and they said they would consider me if I reapplied, but I'm just more concerned about knowing whether others have managed to get into these top unis when applying during a gap year, since I don't want to use 4 of my 5 application slots on 4 top unis which barely ever take post-gap year students

I'm really sorry but I'm not convinced after looking at the Welsh bacc requirements on each unis websites that you'll be making a competitive application (unless you've spoken to the unis and they've said something different)

Ucl do accept the Welsh bacc but would require you to have a*a* in two other a levels including maths

Lse do accept Welsh bacc but state it is a less preferred subject and considering how competitive the uni is I'd imagine this would put you at a significant disadvantage

Cambridge was less clear but considering the average student there has 3A* I'd imagine you wouldn't be very competitive

Oxford would not include Welsh bacc in any offer so you would be below the entry requirements

Warwick would not consider the Welsh bacc in place of one a level as it is just a 3 a level offer so you wouldn't meet their standard offer

In my opinion you should stick with bath it's a top uni and a lovely place, but again this is info I've just got from the websites and if the unis have said anything different go with that

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really sorry but I'm not convinced after looking at the Welsh bacc requirements on each unis websites that you'll be making a competitive application (unless you've spoken to the unis and they've said something different)

Ucl do accept the Welsh bacc but would require you to have a*a* in two other a levels including maths

Lse do accept Welsh bacc but state it is a less preferred subject and considering how competitive the uni is I'd imagine this would put you at a significant disadvantage

Cambridge was less clear but considering the average student there has 3A* I'd imagine you wouldn't be very competitive

Oxford would not include Welsh bacc in any offer so you would be below the entry requirements

Warwick would not consider the Welsh bacc in place of one a level as it is just a 3 a level offer so you wouldn't meet their standard offer

In my opinion you should stick with bath it's a top uni and a lovely place, but again this is info I've just got from the websites and if the unis have said anything different go with that

Posted from TSR Mobile

i applied to lse with welsh bacc and it didnt mention in my offer so just supporting the argument i dont think it would help make u that competative.
I got A*s in maths and further maths and then A's in geography and economics
Taking a gap year and volunteering for three months then getting a job

Reckon Warwick would take me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rugbybeast
I got A*s in maths and further maths and then A's in geography and economics
Taking a gap year and volunteering for three months then getting a job

Reckon Warwick would take me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you've got a good chance I'd say - you're above the entry reqs so just need a decent personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3853

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm aware of how the different unis view the Welsh Bac and it's not the biggest achievement to get an A* in it loooool. I am under the entry requirements with AAA in my other three subjects but due to my medical circumstances I wasn't actually able to finish answering almost all of my exam papers. It's so frustrating because the ones I did manage to finish, like PH5, I got around 93% in, so I know AAA is way under par, especially since I had the best GCSEs in my year. There's no way I'd get an offer with just AAA, hence why I want to resit a few modules to improve that to A*A*A, which I think I could get if I did my exams under normal circumstances. I contacted those unis who have said they'd definitely consider me, I'm just wondering if anyone else has got in to those unis for economics after a gap year.
Hey guys, so I'm thinking about applying to bristol for Economics and Finance which want AAA, now i messed up a bit at AS and I got AABC, B in maths (edexcel D1 screwed me lol), are my chances still good because I got 7A*s and 3As at GCSE and I'm going to drop the C in physics - I took biology economics physics and maths
Original post by tiengoku
Hey guys, so I'm thinking about applying to bristol for Economics and Finance which want AAA, now i messed up a bit at AS and I got AABC, B in maths (edexcel D1 screwed me lol), are my chances still good because I got 7A*s and 3As at GCSE and I'm going to drop the C in physics - I took biology economics physics and maths

They're okay. Not great, but not bad either.
Resitting D1 is something you should be thinking about, what was your UMS for it out of interest?
GCSE's are good, but Bristol does value predictions fairly highly, IIRC.
They're okay. Not great, but not bad either.
Resitting D1 is something you should be thinking about, what was your UMS for it out of interest?
GCSE's are good, but Bristol does value predictions fairly highly, IIRC.

I think i should be okay with predictions and maths was 90 ums Core 1, 76 ums core 2, and 68 umd D1
I think i should be okay with predictions and maths was 90 ums Core 1, 76 ums core 2, and 68 umd D1

You'll need to resit C2 as well, most likely, seeing how C3 and C4 are harder.
Bristol want an A in Maths, and for me, they asked for an A in Economics too.
So you stand a decent chance, it's just about making sure that you can boost that chance as much as possible.
A good PS and a reference to match are definitely needed.
You'll need to resit C2 as well, most likely, seeing how C3 and C4 are harder.
Bristol want an A in Maths, and for me, they asked for an A in Economics too.
So you stand a decent chance, it's just about making sure that you can boost that chance as much as possible.
A good PS and a reference to match are definitely needed.

Thanks, and yeah i was thinking about resitting C2 as well, I think for this year it was a combination of physics dragging me down and being unlucky with C2, but do you think that resitting 3 exams would hinder my performance at A2?- got a 76 in Macroeconomics this year
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks, and yeah i was thinking about resitting C2 as well, I think for this year it was a combination of physics dragging me down and being unlucky with C2, but do you think that resitting 3 exams would hinder my performance at A2?- got a 76 in Macroeconomics this year

3 exams aren't too many to resit, and the ones you're planning on doing mean it's not even as bad as that.
C2- C3 and C4 will both cover topics in C2 (Trig, Calculus) so that should mean if you master C3+C4, you'll have no real trouble with C2. Only a few hours of revision necessary.
Macro A2 builds on AS stuff, so that should be the same as above.
Which means you only need to revise D1, and even then, that's about mastering past papers.
I take it Physics revision got in the way of maths and econ revision?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending