The Student Room Group

I find it awkward telling people I'm Pakistani

For example when it comes up in conversations or they ask my ethnicity. I feel like it changes their perception of me because Pakistanis don't have the best reputation in the world, and I've noticed people acting differently towards me when I do tell them; this includes both people my age and older adults.

Sometimes I just avoid it and say I'm Indian which technically isn't untrue.

I don't know what to do :s-smilie: Can anyone relate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
For example when it comes up in conversations or they ask my ethnicity. I feel like it changes their perception of me because Pakistanis don't have the best reputation in the world, and I've noticed people acting differently towards me when I do tell them; this includes both people my age and older adults.

Try being Libyan.

'Where are you from?'
'Libya'
'Oh...'
Even though it's hardly the best place in the world, you're you.

Pretty flowers all grow from mud :smile:

Don't say libyan like the guy above, most likely you won't look libyan and you won't be thought of as arabic, so they won't ask you any questions about arab culture or etc.
If someone says where are you from, say "I was born here, but my parents were born in Asia". Something along those lines, don't lie.

Worst case scenario just tell them you are pakistani, many people are pakistani so i doubt it will have an affect.
Reply 4
I feel ya. I am from Iran but luckily Iran is also called Persia but most people here don't know that Iran and Persia is the same country. Persia has a MUCH better connotation than Iran for some reason so I always say I'm Persian so they don't look down at me or something.
I cannot relate as Pakistan's bad reputation cannot define me as a human. Those who actually judge me on my ethnicity are useless people. I would rather not talk to them. So no issue. Idc how bad Pakistan's reputation is, I would always be happy with my ethnicity. Simply because my ethnicity cannot define my worth.

However, I do understand what you mean because sometimes as soon as you tell people about you being from Pakistan, their behaviour starts to differ. I find that ridiculous. That shows their personality, shouldn't bother me though.

Tell them your Pakistani, and if they act differently or change their perception of you because of it, PROVE THEM WRONG. Make it your mission to show them how awesome Pakistanis really are and challenge those preconceptions and prejudices.
Original post by 
Don't say libyan like the guy above, most likely you won't look libyan and you won't be thought of as arabic, so they won't ask you any questions about arab culture or etc.
If someone says where are you from, say "I was born here, but my parents were born in Asia". Something along those lines, don't lie.

Worst case scenario just tell them you are pakistani, many people are pakistani so i doubt it will have an affect.

I didn't say try being libyan literally
I meant that I'm in a similar situation except im libyan, Libya ain't the best place to be from right now either
While growing up, I felt the same way about being half Chinese. Then at university, I realized it can be an asset with certain people, so I hung out with them. Now I almost never even think about being Asian. It can be the same for you - it's a question of choosing the right people.
I`m pakistani and I don`t find it weird... I hate the culture but I`m proud of me!

no-one actually cares btw... ;-)
Original post by yasmin#2
I didn't say try being libyan literally
I meant that I'm in a similar situation except im libyan, Libya ain't the best place to be from right now either

Ooooooooh hahaha sorry bud. I know quite a lot of Libyan people tbh and they've moved to libya because business is booming there.
Have confidence in yourself. Your whole self.
Just wink after you say you are from Pakistan and they wouldn't know if you are being serious or making a bad joke.
That's a shame.
Why dont you try telling them asia instead of pakistan

I'm Pakistani, and I'm so proud to be one. Our culture is so rich, what is there not to like?
LMAO I'm asian and people used to ask me if I was a muslim all the time. I'm not really religous, but I'd always say I'm Jewish, completely mindufcked people.

> tell them your jewish
Original post by Saya k
I feel ya. I am from Iran but luckily Iran is also called Persia but most people here don't know that Iran and Persia is the same country. Persia has a MUCH better connotation than Iran for some reason so I always say I'm Persian so they don't look down at me or something.

lol do you know any Mesopotamians or Thracians?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Say you are from Italy or France.

Although, I did, in the past feel kind of embarrassed by my origin. I guess it heals over time. The more exposure you have to your culture, the more it tends to interest you and make you feel proud to be a part of that culture.

Latest