The Student Room Group

Best methods to study a level aqa a physics and best resources.

Hi guys, I'm writing to make enquiries on the best revision methods for a level physics - i aim to integrate these methods within my current methods etc. I also wish to know if there are any useful sites which have proved to be of great benefit to the students who sat the AQA A A LEVEL and AS PHYSICS EXAM.

If anyone does answer, i'd be grateful if they said what grade they got in physics and gave tips to get the same grade or higher.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Shamim1
Hi guys, I'm writing to make enquiries on the best revision methods for a level physics - i aim to integrate these methods within my current methods etc. I also wish to know if there are any useful sites which have proved to be of great benefit to the students who sat the AQA A A LEVEL and AS PHYSICS EXAM.

If anyone does answer, i'd be grateful if they said what grade they got in physics and gave tips to get the same grade or higher.

I did physics on ocr but the advice should be the same
just keep doing past papers over and over again and then notes on the bits you are getting wrong
I got an A overall at A-Level doing this
Reply 2
I think doing past papers is the most important thing for A-level Physics, knowing the specific answers and phrases the mark scheme wants is vital. Do take time to remember and understand the information required but past papers should take up plenty of revision time. I got an A at AS.(AQA)
Reply 3
Thank you guys! Any useful websites? For aqa maths would the revision guide and a big textbook of questions & past papers suffice? Or should I use a website like examsolutions too?
Original post by Shamim1
Thank you guys! Any useful websites? For aqa maths would the revision guide and a big textbook of questions & past papers suffice? Or should I use a website like examsolutions too?

Yo, just copped A*s in AQA physics and maths, so ask away:tongue: for maths, ukmathsteacher on youtube is a must
Reply 5
Original post by DeuteriumPie
Yo, just copped A*s in AQA physics and maths, so ask away:tongue: for maths, ukmathsteacher on youtube is a must

How did you revise for both maths and physics? Tips for me? I'm going college starting September. Doing maths bio chem phy. Please give details I'd really appreciate it ..
Original post by Shamim1
How did you revise for both maths and physics? Tips for me? I'm going college starting September. Doing maths bio chem phy. Please give details I'd really appreciate it ..

Maths - AS is quite easy, so it wasn't the case that I did every question from every chapter. We did the easy stuff in class, and I'd do the last few questions as exercises to make certain I was confident with it all. The youtube guy was super good at clearing up any uncertainties. Just be confident with basic techniques, cos they like manipulation, and even more so at A2.
Chem (ocr b salters) - it actually took a good deal of getting used to, but I made notes from every textbook chapter, including some A2 chapters (albeit much later than I should have) and it all came together. Mark schemes are quite important
Bio (edexcel) - the content overall's pretty good, with human bio being the most interesting. I found that working fairly constantly with bio really helped - I ended up making a disgusting amount of notes, and drained myself out, actually. The textbook had loads of context crap, and so I often looked to other sources.
Physics - unit 1's not actually that bad, but go by everything you're taught (my physics notes were the best) because teachers probably have more materials than you would ever have access too. The spec is really dodgy I find, so do this. The textbook is decent, it think, but there are loads of mistake, and a fair bit of waffle. For unit 2, learn mechanics by yourself - and not within the narrow confines of the spec, or what you've been taught - because then you could answer anything, really. When I sat my unit 2, there was a moments question that I think even further mathematicians (who do M1 and M2) couldn't all do, or at least struggled with. I went home thinking I had gotten wrong, since I guessed it, but I was right, and they were wrong aahahahahaha. Learn markscheme answers for fibre optics (wasn't in my exam though:frown:)

Obviously doing all exam papers is a must, I found.
I was not confident collecting my results, but I got >90%, so something must've worked:wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Maths - AS is quite easy, so it wasn't the case that I did every question from every chapter. We did the easy stuff in class, and I'd do the last few questions as exercises to make certain I was confident with it all. The youtube guy was super good at clearing up any uncertainties. Just be confident with basic techniques, cos they like manipulation, and even more so at A2.
Chem (ocr b salters) - it actually took a good deal of getting used to, but I made notes from every textbook chapter, including some A2 chapters (albeit much later than I should have) and it all came together. Mark schemes are quite important
Bio (edexcel) - the content overall's pretty good, with human bio being the most interesting. I found that working fairly constantly with bio really helped - I ended up making a disgusting amount of notes, and drained myself out, actually. The textbook had loads of context crap, and so I often looked to other sources.
Physics - unit 1's not actually that bad, but go by everything you're taught (my physics notes were the best) because teachers probably have more materials than you would ever have access too. The spec is really dodgy I find, so do this. The textbook is decent, it think, but there are loads of mistake, and a fair bit of waffle. For unit 2, learn mechanics by yourself - and not within the narrow confines of the spec, or what you've been taught - because then you could answer anything, really. When I sat my unit 2, there was a moments question that I think even further mathematicians (who do M1 and M2) couldn't all do, or at least struggled with. I went home thinking I had gotten wrong, since I guessed it, but I was right, and they were wrong aahahahahaha. Learn markscheme answers for fibre optics (wasn't in my exam though:frown:)

Obviously doing all exam papers is a must, I found.
I was not confident collecting my results, but I got >90%, so something must've worked:wink:

Wow thank you very much. I will be saving that message on ever note. Thanks. I read it all and thank you for that. By the way, I got cgp guides for my subjects, what websites would you recommend for learning physics bio and chem, also can you link me the maths tutor YouTube, there's quite a few accounts, although my exam board is for maths and physics is AQA A.
Original post by Shamim1
Wow thank you very much. I will be saving that message on ever note. Thanks. I read it all and thank you for that. By the way, I got cgp guides for my subjects, what websites would you recommend for learning physics bio and chem, also can you link me the maths tutor YouTube, there's quite a few accounts, although my exam board is for maths and physics is AQA A.

No problem. I used cgp for chem, which was fairly useful, and a bit more so for physics. My usage of them came much later on in the year, though. They were useful in part I guess. I used an official rev guide for bio.
https://www.youtube.com/user/schoolmaths
http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/
https://ranelaghalevelphysics.wikispaces.com/ASPhysics

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrPhysicsA
They should all (where applicable) be appropriate for AQA A maths and physics - I'd know cos I did them!
Reply 9
No problem. I used cgp for chem, which was fairly useful, and a bit more so for physics. My usage of them came much later on in the year, though. They were useful in part I guess. I used an official rev guide for bio.
https://www.youtube.com/user/schoolmaths
http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/
https://ranelaghalevelphysics.wikispaces.com/ASPhysics

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrPhysicsA
They should all (where applicable) be appropriate for AQA A maths and physics - I'd know cos I did them!

Wow, out of interest are you going on to do medicine or engineering?

Thank you so much. Honestly I'm truly grateful for these, I'm going through them now thoroughly.
Original post by Shamim1
Wow, out of interest are you going on to do medicine or engineering?

Thank you so much. Honestly I'm truly grateful for these, I'm going through them now thoroughly.

Again, no problem. There's nothing better than going into an exam knowing everything and a little bit more. I'm gonna be starting a theoretical physics degree in October
Reply 11
on ranelagh website, did you print of all them worksheets and presentations?
Reply 12
Again, no problem. There's nothing better than going into an exam knowing everything and a little bit more. I'm gonna be starting a theoretical physics degree in October

I hope you do amazing and get the best degree, certainly one that matches your ability - which from what i know seems to be immense!
Original post by Shamim1
on ranelagh website, did you print of all them worksheets and presentations?

My teacher gave me enough worksheets as it was - I didn't need any more. I just went through the presentations and added to notes where necessary (this was in my A2 year; didn't use it at AS)
Original post by Shamim1
I hope you do amazing and get the best degree, certainly one that matches your ability - which from what i know seems to be immense!

Haha, thanks. I've got a long way to go, but I'd love to become a physicist/applied mathematician one day. What about yourself?
Reply 15

Good God, I'm done with my A levels, now, but I can't believe I didn't come across this. Looks so good!!
Reply 17
Good God, I'm done with my A levels, now, but I can't believe I didn't come across this. Looks so good!!

Hahaha yeah I couldn't believe my luck when I stumbled across it whilst procrastinating :biggrin: I think it is very recent so that might explain why you didn't find it. I think it'll get pretty big...it's the only dedicated a level phys channel from what I've found. And he uses Lego characters so what's not to like
Reply 18
Thanks guys deuterium I want to be a doctor. And I hope you succeed in fulfilling your desires. Fudge I'm gonna take a look at that and by The sounds of it, it seems amazing.
Reply 19

Is that channel for AS, a lot seems A2 like. Have you got any UK recommendations for
Wjec as biology
Aqa as maths & physics (I've got some already )
OCR a chemistry

Quick Reply

Latest