The Student Room Group

Anyone doing maths further maths chemistry AS or A-level

If so do you have any advice as I am starting maths further maths chemistry economics next week
any advice on how and when to start revising the difficulty and how doable it is and how much revision i should aim to do a week
also will i cope with them especially with new a levels -i got 5A*s 3As at gcse btw

Scroll to see replies

Original post by youreanutter
If so do you have any advice as I am starting maths further maths chemistry economics next week
any advice on how and when to start revising the difficulty and how doable it is and how much revision i should aim to do a week
also will i cope with them especially with new a levels -i got 5A*s 3As at gcse btw

They're fine, Not sure about the new 2 year syllabus but i did As and i started revising around April and sat tests in May/June. I didn't do much homework at all, they are all fairly easy.
Further Maths is easier than Math most likely.
Reply 2

I did chemistry and I struggled but with grades grades I think you will be alright :smile: Start making revision notes from the start.
Original post by 
They're fine, Not sure about the new 2 year syllabus but i did As and i started revising around April and sat tests in May/June. I didn't do much homework at all, they are all fairly easy.

Why is further maths easier than maths?Isnt it the other way and which is harder further math or chemistry and why and how did u revise for each
Why is further maths easier than maths?Isnt it the other way and which is harder further math or chemistry and why and how did u revise for each

Further math is just Further pure and Chosen Modules, The Modules are the easiest part of Math.
Chemistry is quite easy, however a lot of people in my school did bad. If you are good at math and science then you will easily get an A. I mean good as in not just loaded with memorising and revising, actually being able to do it.

I began revising in April, all you need to do for Math is read the book (i bought my own which was much better) and complete exercises. Once that is done just do past papers.
Chemistry is easy, the hardest part is applying your knowledge in the empa(practical) but that is made better because you get plenty of time before hand to revise. I read two chemistry books and covered everything, did the exercise questions and then the past papers.

I achieved an A in chem and A* in maths at GCSE so I continued these two on. I found with maths that past papers are the best way to revise, yet practicing using handouts/ examples prepares you to tackle a paper. Keep going over a topic until you understand it, as it will most likely show up in the exam.
However, chem for me was harder work. You definitely need to know how to apply your knowledge and be able to answer questions. I knew the content yet the questions usually require a specific answer and that is what you need to know, not just knowledge.
Overall, it will be your judgement of how hard you find the subjects based on your ability. Start revising when you need to- I started in November as I had January mocks. Just don't leave it too late, make your own judgment! And good luck in the future:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 

FM is not easier than maths, otherwise the achieved grades would be very different. Most FM students will get an A* in single maths at A2 but not in FM.
Original post by 
Further math is just Further pure and Chosen Modules, The Modules are the easiest part of Math.
Chemistry is quite easy, however a lot of people in my school did bad. If you are good at math and science then you will easily get an A. I mean good as in not just loaded with memorising and revising, actually being able to do it.

I began revising in April, all you need to do for Math is read the book (i bought my own which was much better) and complete exercises. Once that is done just do past papers.
Chemistry is easy, the hardest part is applying your knowledge in the empa(practical) but that is made better because you get plenty of time before hand to revise. I read two chemistry books and covered everything, did the exercise questions and then the past papers.

did u do physics(if so or if not)how does it compare to chemistry and further maths in terms of difficulty and step up from gcse and which would u recommend as i am slightly better at chem but apparently its much harder than the other two at a level
if you dont mind me asking what did u get at a level and gcse for each?
did u do physics(if so or if not)how does it compare to chemistry and further maths in terms of difficulty and step up from gcse and which would u recommend as i am slightly better at chem but apparently its much harder than the other two at a level

Imo physics is much harder at a level than gcse and much harder than chemistry in terms of getting raw marks in exams. However, usually the grade boundaries in physics are lower than chemistry so some people find it easier. Some gcse physics is actually expanded on in the a level chemistry course whereas a large amount of a level physics is completely new. So it's up to you,all I'll say is that originally I wanted to go into physics but after a year of a level I now want to study (bio)chemistry in uni because the of how different the physics a level is to the Gcse. As for maths', if you're good at maths then you can easily get good grades in them.
A levels:maths,chemistry,Fmaths and physics.

A* GCSE and A's at As. I mean, physics was similar to chemistry. Physics won't really help much, if anything the Mechanics will help with physics but it's quite simple in physics.I found Chem much easier than physics to learn, only problem was because the grade boundaries were really high. Other than the grade boundaries the content of chemistry is much easier, especially if u are better because i was better at physics in GCSE.
Original post by Ohmycosh
FM is not easier than maths, otherwise the achieved grades would be very different. Most FM students will get an A* in single maths at A2 but not in FM.

That's because most of the time the modules took for Further Math would have been higher UMS and so swapped around for Maths to make normal Math the higher grade.

That's because it isn't.
Mathematics consists of:
4 AS Modules (C1,C2,S1,D1/M1)
2 A2 Modules (C3, C4)

You can clearly see that it's biased on AS content, that's why Maths is one of the easiest A levels

Further Mathematics consists of:
1 AS Module (FP1, which in itself is harder than all other AS Maths module)
5 A2 Modules (FP2 is common, usually taken with a mix mash of A2 from Mechanics and Stats)

Mostly A2 rendering it much more difficult,-- to even start FP2 you need to have done C3 and C4 and know it pretty well.
Some people are a bit -lazy- and get 2 AS modules assigned to their Further Maths because they did D1 with S1 and M1.

Original post by 

Original post by 
That's because most of the time the modules took for Further Math would have been higher UMS and so swapped around for Maths to make normal Math the higher grade.

Many universities which look at modules for say engineering courses prefer M2/M3. Mathematics courses often demand some knowledge into the FP series since it's relevant to their course,-- interesting that the subjects often asked by universities are relegated exclusively to FM modules no?
I mean what you're suggesting is ridiculous, I already know from past experience that students who do S1 are literally brain dead when it comes to the subject because they have no actual understanding of even the most rudimentary elemental statistical theory. D1 is mentally demeaning, C1 through C4 is GCSE Maths 2.0 and M1 is just what something like 7 formulas with exam questions which are always a variation of a previous one the years before.
Original post by Mathsfairy
I achieved an A in chem and A* in maths at GCSE so I continued these two on. I found with maths that past papers are the best way to revise, yet practicing using handouts/ examples prepares you to tackle a paper. Keep going over a topic until you understand it, as it will most likely show up in the exam.
However, chem for me was harder work. You definitely need to know how to apply your knowledge and be able to answer questions. I knew the content yet the questions usually require a specific answer and that is what you need to know, not just knowledge.
Overall, it will be your judgement of how hard you find the subjects based on your ability. Start revising when you need to- I started in November as I had January mocks. Just don't leave it too late, make your own judgment! And good luck in the future:smile:

aha did u do well in AS
Original post by hughmanatee787
Imo physics is much harder at a level than gcse and much harder than chemistry in terms of getting raw marks in exams. However, usually the grade boundaries in physics are lower than chemistry so some people find it easier. Some gcse physics is actually expanded on in the a level chemistry course whereas a large amount of a level physics is completely new. So it's up to you,all I'll say is that originally I wanted to go into physics but after a year of a level I now want to study (bio)chemistry in uni because the of how different the physics a level is to the Gcse. As for maths', if you're good at maths then you can easily get good grades in them.
A levels:maths,chemistry,Fmaths and physics.

wow really tough a levels i admire you for picking them probably hardest combo out there
if you dont mind could you give me an idea of how hard they are by telling me what did u get at gcse for each and what did u get at as and how do chemistry further maths and physics compare in terms of difficulty
this questions open to anyone btw
Original post by 
A* GCSE and A's at As. I mean, physics was similar to chemistry. Physics won't really help much, if anything the Mechanics will help with physics but it's quite simple in physics.I found Chem much easier than physics to learn, only problem was because the grade boundaries were really high. Other than the grade boundaries the content of chemistry is much easier, especially if u are better because i was better at physics in GCSE.

ok thanks this was useful so from this is it safe to say chemistry is easier to learn and understand and get marks but the grade boundaries make it hard to get a high grade and physics dont help with mechanics its the other way around(i hope so as the only reason i considered physics as i thought it would help further maths) and with mechanics paper and mechanics heavy elemnt of physics being removed this year i dont think it will be as useful to help with maths as i thought
Original post by Adjunct Bias
That's because it isn't.
Mathematics consists of:
4 AS Modules (C1,C2,S1,D1/M1)
2 A2 Modules (C3, C4)

You can clearly see that it's biased on AS content, that's why Maths is one of the easiest A levels

Further Mathematics consists of:
1 AS Module (FP1, which in itself is harder than all other AS Maths module)
5 A2 Modules (FP2 is common, usually taken with a mix mash of A2 from Mechanics and Stats)

Mostly A2 rendering it much more difficult,-- to even start FP2 you need to have done C3 and C4 and know it pretty well.
Some people are a bit -lazy- and get 2 AS modules assigned to their Further Maths because they did D1 with S1 and M1.

Many universities which look at modules for say engineering courses prefer M2/M3. Mathematics courses often demand some knowledge into the FP series since it's relevant to their course,-- interesting that the subjects often asked by universities are relegated exclusively to FM modules no?
I mean what you're suggesting is ridiculous, I already know from past experience that students who do S1 are literally brain dead when it comes to the subject because they have no actual understanding of even the most rudimentary elemental statistical theory. D1 is mentally demeaning, C1 through C4 is GCSE Maths 2.0 and M1 is just what something like 7 formulas with exam questions which are always a variation of a previous one the years before.

aha seems like you know a lot about the maths modules
is further maths a lot harder than normal maths for someone who got an A* at gcse and also which is easier out of M2 or D1 after having studied M1 as i will have the choice in further maths this year aha
aha seems like you know a lot about the maths modules
is further maths a lot harder than normal maths for someone who got an A* at gcse and also which is easier out of M2 or D1 after having studied M1 as i will have the choice in further maths this year aha

Sorry for not replying sooner,

I also got an A* at GCSE and obtained an A at A-level for Further Mathematics so I wouldn't say it's immensely hard considering I wasn't the best of students. Realistically speaking it's down to you and how you plan on divvying up your time,-- I'm doing actuarial science so I plotted myself down the maths route. If you end up wanting to do a science you may find yourself aiming for higher grades in other subjects and as such not spend as much here. That being said you could be incredibly bright so maybe you won't feel pressured.

The fact you got an A* at GCSE demonstrates at least to me you have a good understanding of mathematical concepts as they come to you (You being in the top 6% of your year's intake at minimum) so I certainly think with effort you could do well!

For me M2 was better than D1.
D1 is taken by virtually everyone, mostly brimming with non-further maths students. The test itself isn't mathematics fundamentally, rather, it's more like following a pattern and extrapolating knowledge for which you already know the answer (Seriously, 4 marks to be able to list 5 names in alphabetical order is a middle finger to your education). I wouldn't advise anyone to take it just to it being so mind numbingly dull and irrelevant and there are so much more better ways to teach discrete maths.

Oh, and as a result of it not being Maths (As in, even Fine Art students could do it, not that there's anything wrong in doing that subject) it means that everyone gets good grades.

I do believe an A at one point in D1 was once set at 70-71 a few years back out of 75 raw marks so yeah not fun. Even if you're good at maths, manage to pull A*s on your FP2 and FP3 you could still end up with a B in Discrete Maths because a small mistake is equatable to a grade and a half.

I hope this helps.
Original post by 

Further maths is harder no doubt about it! I dont know where you're getting your wrong facts from

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Further maths is harder no doubt about it! I dont know where you're getting your wrong facts from

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well from my experience Further Maths is easier. Not a wrong fact, it's an opinion. How the fudge do u have a wrong fact?
Original post by Adjunct Bias
Sorry for not replying sooner,

I also got an A* at GCSE and obtained an A at A-level for Further Mathematics so I wouldn't say it's immensely hard considering I wasn't the best of students. Realistically speaking it's down to you and how you plan on divvying up your time,-- I'm doing actuarial science so I plotted myself down the maths route. If you end up wanting to do a science you may find yourself aiming for higher grades in other subjects and as such not spend as much here. That being said you could be incredibly bright so maybe you won't feel pressured.

The fact you got an A* at GCSE demonstrates at least to me you have a good understanding of mathematical concepts as they come to you (You being in the top 6% of your year's intake at minimum) so I certainly think with effort you could do well!

For me M2 was better than D1.
D1 is taken by virtually everyone, mostly brimming with non-further maths students. The test itself isn't mathematics fundamentally, rather, it's more like following a pattern and extrapolating knowledge for which you already know the answer (Seriously, 4 marks to be able to list 5 names in alphabetical order is a middle finger to your education). I wouldn't advise anyone to take it just to it being so mind numbingly dull and irrelevant and there are so much more better ways to teach discrete maths.

Oh, and as a result of it not being Maths (As in, even Fine Art students could do it, not that there's anything wrong in doing that subject) it means that everyone gets good grades.

I do believe an A at one point in D1 was once set at 70-71 a few years back out of 75 raw marks so yeah not fun. Even if you're good at maths, manage to pull A*s on your FP2 and FP3 you could still end up with a B in Discrete Maths because a small mistake is equatable to a grade and a half.

I hope this helps.

thanks for l;engtrhy reply i will take ur advice u seem to know what ua re saying
so i guess i should take m2 right?
also what other a levels did u do and how did they compare in terms of workload and difficulty to further maths

Quick Reply

Latest