The Student Room Group

AS Geography

I'm doing some bridging work and I've got the main question 'How does the development of a country impact on the quality and security of its population?'.
This is then split into 2 smaller questions:
1) What is the relationship between development and life expectancy?
2) What is the relationship between development and the impact of natural hazards?
I'm not entirely sure whether I've put the right kinds of things down, so if you could clarify this that would be fab!

Answer to 1):As a country develops, the life expectancy should rise as more jobs will be created,leading to a better wage and this will improve the quality of life for a person. In Europe, the countries are MEDCs and therefore are developed. This means that there will be a high life expectancy as there is access to good medical care and a better overall quality of life.In Asia, in India particularly, more people will migrate to the city in search of work and this money gained will be sent back to the families so they can stay alive. This means that there will be more rural-urban migration and the life expectancy will go up as the people have access to food.In Africa, in countries like Uganda and Mali, the life expectancy is rather low because there simply is not enough food to go around and therefore children and adults suffer from malnutrition and this can be fatal. This is why families have about 7/8 children or more as they need the children to go to work to earn money that then can be spent on food for the family.

Answer to 2):
In MEDCs, like the UK and USA, they develop at a quicker rate because they are more economically stable. As they have more money, they can build more houses and other buildings for the population which are as resistant as possible to natural hazards e.g. earthquakes, where buildings sway with the shake.
However in LEDCs, like Haiti, they do not have the economic provisions to do this as they have a poor government. These countries are usually the most prone to natural hazards and therefore as the impact cannot be managed through hazard proof buildings etc so the damage is worse than in MEDCs.

I need to include as many case studies/examples as possible so if you guys have any please share them, and please do the same with other relevant information. Thanks :smile:
Original post by emilyisapanda
I'm doing some bridging work and I've got the main question 'How does the development of a country impact on the quality and security of its population?'.
This is then split into 2 smaller questions:
1) What is the relationship between development and life expectancy?
2) What is the relationship between development and the impact of natural hazards?
I'm not entirely sure whether I've put the right kinds of things down, so if you could clarify this that would be fab!

Answer to 1):As a country develops, the life expectancy should rise as more jobs will be created,leading to a better wage and this will improve the quality of life for a person. In Europe, the countries are MEDCs and therefore are developed. This means that there will be a high life expectancy as there is access to good medical care and a better overall quality of life.In Asia, in India particularly, more people will migrate to the city in search of work and this money gained will be sent back to the families so they can stay alive. This means that there will be more rural-urban migration and the life expectancy will go up as the people have access to food.In Africa, in countries like Uganda and Mali, the life expectancy is rather low because there simply is not enough food to go around and therefore children and adults suffer from malnutrition and this can be fatal. This is why families have about 7/8 children or more as they need the children to go to work to earn money that then can be spent on food for the family.

Answer to 2):
In MEDCs, like the UK and USA, they develop at a quicker rate because they are more economically stable. As they have more money, they can build more houses and other buildings for the population which are as resistant as possible to natural hazards e.g. earthquakes, where buildings sway with the shake.
However in LEDCs, like Haiti, they do not have the economic provisions to do this as they have a poor government. These countries are usually the most prone to natural hazards and therefore as the impact cannot be managed through hazard proof buildings etc so the damage is worse than in MEDCs.

I need to include as many case studies/examples as possible so if you guys have any please share them, and please do the same with other relevant information. Thanks :smile:

Hi! Which exam board will you be using? I've just finished AQA AS geography.

Your answers are great! However, it lacks cohesiveness in that it seems that you've just thought of sentences to stick together and you're going with the flow rather than actually approaching the questions with a plan. For example, low life expectancy is evident in Malia and Uganda as a result of malnutrition, insufficient healthcare and poor hygiene. Birth rate is extremely high with around 7-8 children per household, further damaging the demographics of these countries (then go on to explain education, pollution, population density etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the help! I'll be doing the AQA board, is there any other tips you would give? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the help! I'll be doing the AQA board, is there any other tips you would give? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any other ideas?
Do you know of any useful websites for AQA Geography? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you have any other ideas?
Do you know of any useful websites for AQA Geography? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

What topics will you be doing? I did coasts, energy, population and rivers. I honestly didn't use any websites or many resources, I just revised what the teacher told me to through the use of past papers and the A level CPG book and occasionally the 'cool geography' website

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
What topics will you be doing? I did coasts, energy, population and rivers. I honestly didn't use any websites or many resources, I just revised what the teacher told me to through the use of past papers and the A level CPG book and occasionally the 'cool geography' website

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing rivers, coasts, food and population I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest