The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

They're rated correctly. As the places to go if you cannot get into Oxbridge.
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
They're rated correctly. As the places to go if you cannot get into Oxbridge.

Really? So they are as good or better than UCL?
Original post by King of the Ring
Really? So they are as good or better than UCL?

They're not as good as Imperial, LSE or UCL. I would not put these unis in the Oxbridge reject category simply because they are the top for some specific courses. E.g. Obviously Economics for LSE.
They're not as good as Imperial, LSE or UCL. I would not put these unis in the Oxbridge reject category simply because they are the top for some specific courses. E.g. Obviously Economics for LSE.

I've always thought of LSE, Imperial and UCL as rivals to Oxbridge, with Durham and St Andrews taking the junk that the others don't want?
I've always thought of LSE, Imperial and UCL as rivals to Oxbridge, with Durham and St Andrews taking the junk that the others don't want?

There are no rivals to Oxbridge within these islands. :smile:
There are no rivals to Oxbridge within these islands. :smile:

They have been in recent years, according to the World rankings, QS in particular.
They have been in recent years, according to the World rankings, QS in particular.

Oxbridge is more than about tables, it's a legacy and worldwide brand. So you go to one of those London universities then I take it :lol:.

edit: "I have visted Oxbridge and UCL in recent weeks, and Oxbridge seems to be miles ahead in terms of the prestige and beauty of the universities. Who else even comes close?"

You're damn right son.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oxbridge is more than about tables, it's a legacy and worldwide brand. So you go to one of those London universities then I take it :lol:.

It is true that they are part of history, but they can't hide behind that forever, especially if they get consistently overtaken by the top London universities in World rankings and REF.

edit: "I have visted Oxbridge and UCL in recent weeks, and Oxbridge seems to be miles ahead in terms of the prestige and beauty of the universities. Who else even comes close?"

You're damn right son.

That was for the buildings, not the quality of the universities.
That was for the buildings, not the quality of the universities.

Oxbridge is the best, by some distance.
Oxbridge is the best, by some distance.

London unis have caught up though, and are snapping at their heels.
London unis have caught up though, and are snapping at their heels.

They have an inferiority complex, that is for sure...

They have not caught up, that is also for sure. Look at the legacy of Oxbridge and the people they have produced. No single university compares by a long stretch.
They have an inferiority complex, that is for sure...

They have not caught up, that is also for sure. Look at the legacy of Oxbridge and the people they have produced. No single university compares by a long stretch.

I am talking about research power and academic rankings.
I am talking about research power and academic rankings.

Research power: are you postgraduate?
Academic rankings: are a load of rubbish. Newcastle University was ranked no.1 Law School in the UK by the Sunday Times the other year. I stopped taking these seriously.

Kid, just apply for Oxbridge, you will get a much more enriched experience in life just because of the networking you can do everyday.
Research power: are you postgraduate?
Academic rankings: are a load of rubbish. Newcastle University was ranked no.1 Law School in the UK by the Sunday Times the other year. I stopped taking these seriously.

Kid, just apply for Oxbridge, you will get a much more enriched experience in life just because of the networking you can do everyday.

It could just happen one day that UCL becomes the UK's richest and most decorated research university. They may not attract the very best students, ever, but that won't stop them becoming the UK's strongest research university.
It could just happen one day that UCL becomes the UK's richest and most decorated research university. They may not attract the very best students, ever, but that won't stop them becoming the UK's strongest research university.

Of course, in the future with money anything is possible.
Of course, in the future with money anything is possible.

UCL have already overtaken Oxford for annual income, and with further expansion plans in the near future, their income will soon eclipse Cambridge.
UCL have already overtaken Oxford for annual income, and with further expansion plans in the near future, their income will soon eclipse Cambridge.

Have you applied for university yet?
I think the poll may be missing a third option:
"Both Durham and St. Andrews are respectable in their own right."

Latest

Trending

Trending