The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
I don't think you realise how much you've helped people on here. We all really appreciate it. :hugs:

That's such a lovely thing to hear! Thank you, too!:colondollar:
Hi all,
I guess I can finally call myself a current student - due to start on Monday 7th :smile:

It's been a rocky road even getting to this point (I was due to start my PGCE last year but had to defer due to a bereavement) and I've been following the thread for a good couple of years, but I'm so exited to be starting soon, no matter the tears and trials to come!

I think I've gone overboard with buying new clothes and stationary ... Still, better to be overstocked!
Good luck to all the new NQTs from the thread this year :smile:
Original post by magic_box
Hi all,
I guess I can finally call myself a current student - due to start on Monday 7th :smile:

It's been a rocky road even getting to this point (I was due to start my PGCE last year but had to defer due to a bereavement) and I've been following the thread for a good couple of years, but I'm so exited to be starting soon, no matter the tears and trials to come!

I think I've gone overboard with buying new clothes and stationary ... Still, better to be overstocked!
Good luck to all the new NQTs from the thread this year :smile:

Welcome! I can promise you you will find support here.
Reply 7283
Well, I'm up and running! First few lessons done. Started with a year 7 class, so of course we were as nervous as each other, but luckily I can pretend not to be!

I was unsure about the idea of teaching from the first day (because I'm on Schools Direct in a school that believes in getting straight into teaching) before I've had any real input on the training side. But in reality, there was a lot of support. Lesson plans were checked thoroughly by my mentor, lots of advice given and discrete encouragement during the lessons. Because I'm a mature starter, I don't think the yr 7's had any idea I was a trainee.....though the year 8's were more canny about what the situation was, I think! Anyhow, in both cases the kids were great and I enjoyed my first experiences.

So I've got through the first-night nerves of doing my first lessons, and I now know the mountain of learning and development I need to do to become an effective teacher. That does mean that when the Uni stuff starts shortly, I will already have some experience to relate back to.

Of course, the reality also now kicks in that I have to do it all again, from next Tuesday!

Good luck to everyone who is starting next week :smile:
Original post by neilcn
Well, I'm up and running! First few lessons done. Started with a year 7 class, so of course we were as nervous as each other, but luckily I can pretend not to be!

I was unsure about the idea of teaching from the first day (because I'm on Schools Direct in a school that believes in getting straight into teaching) before I've had any real input on the training side. But in reality, there was a lot of support. Lesson plans were checked thoroughly by my mentor, lots of advice given and discrete encouragement during the lessons. Because I'm a mature starter, I don't think the yr 7's had any idea I was a trainee.....though the year 8's were more canny about what the situation was, I think! Anyhow, in both cases the kids were great and I enjoyed my first experiences.

So I've got through the first-night nerves of doing my first lessons, and I now know the mountain of learning and development I need to do to become an effective teacher. That does mean that when the Uni stuff starts shortly, I will already have some experience to relate back to.

Of course, the reality also now kicks in that I have to do it all again, from next Tuesday!

Fantastic, well done :smile:
Original post by neilcn
Well, I'm up and running!

Congratulations! Wow, I didn't realise schools direct meant teaching from the very first week!

I'm starting to get nervous about my week long placement. I'm going back to my old junior school, and I kind of wish I wasn't now just because it'll be strange.

One of my actual teachers is still there and I feel they might think it's nice to put me in her class. I was terrified of her as a kid, so it'll be weird either way- either to find out I'm still intimidated by her (haha) or find out she's really nice.

And on an "even sillier concerns" front, the only time I could get my hair coloured is the Monday night so I'll start my placement with mousey hair and come back the second day with red (auburn, not Ronald mcdonald). God, what if the pupils bully me for being a ginger...?! Ha. :mmm:
(edited 8 years ago)
When people were looking at universities to study a PGCE at what criteria were you looking at to help you pick?
Original post by TunaTunnel
When people were looking at universities to study a PGCE at what criteria were you looking at to help you pick?

Atmosphere, attitude to teaching and learning, impression I got from open events, structure of the course, testimonials.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just picked a city I really wanted to live and work in once I'm qualified, because obviously it gives you a chance to get to know an area and get an idea of schools etc. I didn't really want to do a PGCE and then move again for NQT. I don't really understand people who talk about going to certain universities for the 'name' because it's fairly irrelevant with teacher training. Then as the OP said you get a feel for the place from the way they interview you, admissions etc and can decide if that suits you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laura.a.c265
I just picked a city I really wanted to live and work in once I'm qualified, because obviously it gives you a chance to get to know an area and get an idea of schools etc. I didn't really want to do a PGCE and then move again for NQT. I don't really understand people who talk about going to certain universities for the 'name' because it's fairly irrelevant with teacher training. Then as the OP said you get a feel for the place from the way they interview you, admissions etc and can decide if that suits you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by kpwxx
Atmosphere, attitude to teaching and learning, impression I got from open events, structure of the course, testimonials.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys, one of my main reasons was I like the collegiate system we use in Durham. Seems most of my shortlist are similar to Durham (Old, has collegiate system, traditional). Having spent 4 years at Durham and lived in a small village I dont think a big city university i.e Manchester would suit me. I guess this comes down to atmosphere and attitude with me not really wanting to go to a vastly different university.

Kind of the only thing I looked at was location because I knew I was living at home for my PGCE and that narrowed it down to two unis really.

Name doesn't matter at all for a PGCE, so I didn't take that into account.
Hi all!

For anyone who's interested, I'm writing a blog over the course of the year where I will be talking about my experiences as a School Direct trainee in a secondary school teaching Modern Languages (although it should apply to most trainee teachers).

I really hope this doesn't come across as a cheap advertisement, it's just in case any current or prospective PGCE students want an outlook on other people's experiences as it can be quite a daunting and pretty confusing thing to take on.

https://myschooldirectpgceexperience.wordpress.com/

Best of luck to everyone with your teaching.
I just picked a city I really wanted to live and work in once I'm qualified, because obviously it gives you a chance to get to know an area and get an idea of schools etc. I didn't really want to do a PGCE and then move again for NQT. I don't really understand people who talk about going to certain universities for the 'name' because it's fairly irrelevant with teacher training. Then as the OP said you get a feel for the place from the way they interview you]

Ditto. I'd not spent much time (literally two days) in my chosen city, but I knew it ticked all my boxes. Big city, lots to do, well connected to London but far enough from my home town in the South East to be independent, relatively cheap housing and the possibility to buy here some day on a teacher's salary.

Then I came up for my interview and totally fell in love. I was wandering around before my interview going "meh, it's not that great. You don't want it that much" to try and undo how invested I'd become!

The interviewers were so nice and friendly, even when I forgot to breathe during my presentation and probably worried them that I was going to pass out from nerves! And they got back to me so quickly (literally less than an hour after the interview) which just made me like them even more.

I didn't even look at league tables (do they even exist for PGCE?). My undergraduate uni (UCL) regularly scores among the best in the world and it still lacked in a lot of ways pastorally so I know league tables don't paint the whole picture. On a stressful and intense course like the PGCE, I'd put more stock in pastoral than academic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JoannaMilano
Ditto. I'd not spent much time (literally two days) in my chosen city, but I knew it ticked all my boxes. Big city, lots to do, well connected to London but far enough from my home town in the South East to be independent, relatively cheap housing and the possibility to buy here some day on a teacher's salary.

Then I came up for my interview and totally fell in love. I was wandering around before my interview going "meh, it's not that great. You don't want it that much" to try and undo how invested I'd become!

The interviewers were so nice and friendly, even when I forgot to breathe during my presentation and probably worried them that I was going to pass out from nerves! And they got back to me so quickly (literally less than an hour after the interview) which just made me like them even more.

I didn't even look at league tables (do they even exist for PGCE?). My undergraduate uni (UCL) regularly scores among the best in the world and it still lacked in a lot of ways pastorally so I know league tables don't paint the whole picture. On a stressful and intense course like the PGCE, I'd put more stock in pastoral than academic.

Haha same. I had been to York on a day trip and fell in love! It was the only place I wanted to apply to because it was just so perfect for me. My second visit was my interview day 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoannaMilano

Thats why I like the collegiate system. I was at Loughborough university before transferring to Durham and the collegiate system has a profound effect on the pastoral side as your college in essence a miniature university with the pastoral side included.
It is all starting to feel very real now. My timetable was due to be released tomorrow, but was already up last night. I am so happy with my hours :biggrin:

My husband's timetable is also excellent.

Everything seems to be falling into place. :u:
Original post by redmel1621
It is all starting to feel very real now. My timetable was due to be released tomorrow, but was already up last night. I am so happy with my hours :biggrin:

My husband's timetable is also excellent.

Everything seems to be falling into place. :u:

Are you both doing pgce?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The nervous have really started to set in now, after months of waiting and excitement I finally start my PGCE next week. I've still got some worries about my subject knowledge (RE) but I'm sure it'll all work out.
Are you both doing pgce?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He is going into the 2nd year of a maths degree. Same uni but completely different campus. I had been worrying about childcare, but with these hours it will all work out fine.
Original post by BrightonPPE93
The nervous have really started to set in now, after months of waiting and excitement I finally start my PGCE next week. I've still got some worries about my subject knowledge (RE) but I'm sure it'll all work out.

I'm nervous too! I start on Thursday so only a few days to wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending