The Student Room Group

A level Changes

What exactly changed about the courses? Will they be more challenging now?
The subjects I am doing are Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infiniteketchup

They made AS and A levels separate qualifications. Hence, you have to decide at the start whether to study an AS or full A level and it's harder to drop a different subject to the one you initially intended to drop. With a full A level, all the exams are at the end of the two years. I expect this will indeed make them more challenginf - however I believe it affects the sciences and maths less as their AS level is the same as the first year of the full A level? So they're easier to switch?
Original post by infiniteketchup

Hi there,

Are you already studying or are you starting in September 2015?

If you are already studying then your A2 year will continue in the same way as your AS - nothing will change.

If you are starting in 2015 (and your courses are changing) then things will be a bit different for you! A levels are now being split up into Year 1 and Year 2 (rather than AS and A level) and you take ALL of your exams at the end of the 2 years. This means that you need to revise 2 years of work for the exams.

If you want to complete and AS rather than the full A level, you can sit an AS exam at the end of the first year. However, if you do well and decide you want to continue the course through to A level, you will need to sit ALL EXAMS again at the end of the course (your AS mark will NOT contribute to your A level)

Hope that makes it a bit clearer for you!

M
If we do not get the grades we want at the end of two years, then does that we mean we have to re-sit whole 2 years or are we not allowed to re sit and have to go uni with the grades we get?
Original post by priyankatiwari
If we do not get the grades we want at the end of two years, then does that we mean we have to re-sit whole 2 years or are we not allowed to re sit and have to go uni with the grades we get?

If you do not get the A level results which you require in 2017 (when you take your A level exams) you will not be able to resit the exams until 2018 (the following summer)

Obviously 2017 is 2 years away and things may change slightly between now and then, however the best solution would be to ace your exams first time round and get into your first choice university :smile:

Good Luck with your studies

M
Original post by LearnOnline
If you do not get the A level results which you require in 2017 (when you take your A level exams) you will not be able to resit the exams until 2018 (the following summer)

Obviously 2017 is 2 years away and things may change slightly between now and then, however the best solution would be to ace your exams first time round and get into your first choice university :smile:

Good Luck with your studies

M

What about if your in A2 and decide to pick up an AS level will i be able to sit the old syllabus as there will be resits for A2 students hence the examinations will take place in the summer of 2016
Original post by Subeyr Ahmed 124
What about if your in A2 and decide to pick up an AS level will i be able to sit the old syllabus as there will be resits for A2 students hence the examinations will take place in the summer of 2016

You are able to sit the current AS or A2 course and sit the exams in 2016
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Hey uhh.. just to clarify - If i wanted to do chemistry, would I sit unit 1 and 2 in AS, and then do unit 3 and 4 in A2? (plus the practical thing)
And for maths would I just sit c1 c2 and the side module in AS, and then just go on to do c3 c4 and another side module in A2?
And for further maths would I sit my AS and then just go onto the A2 exams without having to do the AS again?
And for economics.. would I have to sit all four units in A2?

Assume that I won't retake anything...

Thanks ;D
Original post by LearnOnline
You are able to sit the current AS or A2 course and sit the exams in 2010

Do we have to pay for the time machine?
This sounds like a stupid decision 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, I'm confused lol
Original post by HarunH1
Hey uhh.. just to clarify - If i wanted to do chemistry, would I sit unit 1 and 2 in AS, and then do unit 3 and 4 in A2? (plus the practical thing)
And for maths would I just sit c1 c2 and the side module in AS, and then just go on to do c3 c4 and another side module in A2?
And for further maths would I sit my AS and then just go onto the A2 exams without having to do the AS again?
And for economics.. would I have to sit all four units in A2?

Assume that I won't retake anything...

Thanks ;D

If you start a two year A level course in England this September.
Maths is unchanged, you will complete maths and further maths units exactly as they have done in the past. Usually 3 units for an AS in maths and 3 for an AS in FM in the first year, then complete the A2 the following year (some do maths in the first year and FM in the second)
For economics and chemistry you will study a completely new syllabus with different content and exam structure and for chemistry an entirely new practical assessment. To be awarded a full A level you would be tested on all of the content studied over the two years at the end of your second year of study. Your school may optionally choose to enter you for AS exams at the end of the first year but the results don't count towards your full A level grade.

Note: Wales and Northern Ireland are implementing different reforms.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
If you start a two year A level course in the UK this September.
Maths is unchanged, you will complete maths and further maths units exactly as they have done in the past. Usually 3 units for an AS in maths and 3 for an AS in FM in the first year, then complete the A2 the following year (some do maths in the first year and FM in the second)
For economics and chemistry you will study a completely new syllabus with different content and exam structure and for chemistry an entirely new practical assessment. To be awarded a full A level you would be tested on all of the content studied over the two years at the end of your second year of study. Your school may optionally choose to enter you for AS exams at the end of the first year but the results don't count towards your full A level grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not all boards are changing. Although the majority of them are you may still be able to do exams in the old system. Look up your boards 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
So if I decide to pick up AS physics it will stay the same as I am an A2 student as the exams will still be there next year??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Subeyr Ahmed 124
So if I decide to pick up AS physics it will stay the same as I am an A2 student as the exams will still be there next year??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assuming AQA/Edexcel/OCR Although the AS exams for the current physics specification will be available from the examiner next summer your school will be teaching the new syllabus to year 12. If when you say "pick up" you hope to attend lessons it will be the new syllabus that is being taught. They may or may not offer the old spec exams ( depends if they have any resit candidates from this year) and may or may not run the old spec practical assessment. Don't make assumptions. You'll need to ask and make plans accordingly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kendellex
Not all boards are changing. Although the majority of them are you may still be able to do exams in the old system. Look up your boards 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

True. Wales and Northern Ireland are implementing different reforms and CIE international A levels are unaffected.
https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/ucas-guide-to-qualification-reform.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Are you able to take the AS/Year 1 exams in all of your four subjects in the first year and then depending on your AS results you then choose what subjects you would like to do as a full a-level?
Original post by Calzyhill
Are you able to take the AS/Year 1 exams in all of your four subjects in the first year and then depending on your AS results you then choose what subjects you would like to do as a full a-level?

In theory yes, though it somewhat defeats the objective of removing formal external exams from year 12 to enable more teaching time.
Some schools plan to do it, some don't. Some will ask you to choose the 4th subject you plan to drop early in year 12 so that you only take AS in that subject. You will need to ask your sixth form what strategy they have decided upon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
In theory yes, though it somewhat defeats the objective of removing formal external exams from year 12 to enable more teaching time.
Some schools plan to do it, some don't. Some will ask you to choose the 4th subject you plan to drop early in year 12 so that you only take AS in that subject. You will need to ask your sixth form what strategy they have decided upon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, okay I will hopefully know by Friday as that is the first day of term. I just thought the separate AS level examinations give you somewhat of a representation as to whether you will be better at the full A-level in subject X than subject Y, for example.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Calzyhill
Oh, okay I will hopefully know by Friday as that is the first day of term. I just thought the separate AS level examinations give you somewhat of a representation as to whether you will be better at the full A-level in subject X than subject Y, for example.

I agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest