The Student Room Group

Are my AS grades good enough for a Warwick offer (Maths)?

Firstly, my AS grades were AAB Maths, Further Maths and Physics. My A in Maths was above 90% but what I'm really concerned about is:
the B in physics
my very low A grade in Further Maths

The B in physics was due to a low score in the practical- in Unit 1 I got 96% and Unit 2 I got 94% however. If I plan to resit the practical will they take this into account?

For my low A grade in Further Maths, it was mostly due to my 72% in Decision 1. Also, I only got 89% in FP1 so will that be a concern if I'm predicted A* given I take FP2, FP3 and M2 next year? (80% in M1 as well :ashamed:). Is it possible to replace D1 with M3? I've realized I need to work much harder for good grades (though I've already worked quite hard for these) so I think I can put in a bit more effort.

Scroll to see replies

ANYONE
its possible what did u get in the course work for physics? and did u do FP1 M1 and D1 for Further maths?
Original post by jonnypdot
its possible what did u get in the course work for physics? and did u do FP1 M1 and D1 for Further maths?

In the physics coursework I got 33%... Yes, I did FP1, M1 & D1 for FM. Everyone was saying they messed up the equipment but I'm not sure and I don't think it matters
I'm planning to retake the physics coursework and only the physics coursework
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PressTabStart
In the physics coursework I got 33%... Yes, I did FP1, M1 & D1 for FM. Everyone was saying they messed up the equipment but I'm not sure and I don't think it matters
I'm planning to retake the physics coursework and only the physics coursework

yeah retaking coursework isnt an issue and i dont understand how u didnt get an A for physics did u do ocr?
yeah retaking coursework isnt an issue and i dont understand how u didnt get an A for physics did u do ocr?

I did AQA. Each unit is a 1/3 of the AS I think, so that's an average of 96%, 94% and 33%, = 74%. Would it be better if I snapped a picture of my results? Perhaps I'm reading this wrong.
I did AQA. Each unit is a 1/3 of the AS I think, so that's an average of 96%, 94% and 33%, = 74%. Would it be better if I snapped a picture of my results? Perhaps I'm reading this wrong.

oh your coursework is a 1/3. I do ocr and unit 2 is 50% unit 1 if 35% and course work is 15%.
Reply 7
Firstly, my AS grades were AAB Maths, Further Maths and Physics. My A in Maths was above 90% but what I'm really concerned about is:
the B in physics
my very low A grade in Further Maths

The B in physics was due to a low score in the practical- in Unit 1 I got 96% and Unit 2 I got 94% however. If I plan to resit the practical will they take this into account?

For my low A grade in Further Maths, it was mostly due to my 72% in Decision 1. Also, I only got 89% in FP1 so will that be a concern if I'm predicted A* given I take FP2, FP3 and M2 next year? (80% in M1 as well :ashamed:). Is it possible to replace D1 with M3? I've realized I need to work much harder for good grades (though I've already worked quite hard for these) so I think I can put in a bit more effort.

Did you only do three As levels or is there a 4th?
oh your coursework is a 1/3. I do ocr and unit 2 is 50% unit 1 if 35% and course work is 15%.

You're so lucky... :frown:

So do you think I have a chance at Warwick? I've been focusing on it since the start of Y12
Original post by Mr.bob
Did you only do three As levels or is there a 4th?

Yes there's a 4th, Chemistry but it's an E so it's practically like I've done 3.

Wrong. AQA take the ISA Practical as 20%, the written papers as 40% each.

As for what the thread starter asked, improving on the practical is hard work, but it's likely that you'll improve by the A2 year. With written AS units that high, it could potentially balance out as an A.
For further maths, the A* which (I think) you need is achieved by receiving 90% average in three A2 units, as well as 480 UMS. Assuming that you got 210 UMS at AS, which is the boundary between B and C, you need 270 UMS, or 90% in three A2 units exactly. The only usits which cannot be considered as A2 units have a C or a 1 in their code (e.g. D1, C3)
When I was on their open day they said they give an offer to anyone predicted AAB (1 grade lower than the offer in each subject, effectively they give an offer to anyone who MIGHT make it, and then let their tough entrance requirements sort out those who can do it and those who can't). In 2014 if my memory serves me, that was 1400ish offers, of which about 500 were accepted, and 256 got in.

EDIT: Go down to "How your application is dealt with."
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer
(edited 8 years ago)
You're so lucky... :frown:

So do you think I have a chance at Warwick? I've been focusing on it since the start of Y12

yes, honestly u have 3 As atm coursework dont worry u can get 100% on that coz u know what u are doing, didnt ur teacher let u retake coursework or anything?
Original post by Nuclear Ghost
Wrong. AQA take the ISA Practical as 20%, the written papers as 40% each.

As for what the thread starter asked, improving on the practical is hard work, but it's likely that you'll improve by the A2 year. With written AS units that high, it could potentially balance out as an A.
For further maths, the A* which (I think) you need is achieved by receiving 90% average in three A2 units, as well as 480 UMS. Assuming that you got 210 UMS at AS, which is the boundary between B and C, you need 270 UMS, or 90% in three A2 units exactly. The only usits which cannot be considered as A2 units have a C or a 1 in their code (e.g. D1, C3)

I'm very confused now. Under the 'mark' column it says '96' in Unit 1 and '94' in Unit 2 with '33' in Unit 3X (the practical). Were the grade boundaries at 85% this year or is the 'mark' column not direct percentages? I know it is for Maths+FM.

yes, honestly u have 3 As atm coursework dont worry u can get 100% on that coz u know what u are doing, didnt ur teacher let u retake coursework or anything?

Thankfully they allow coursework retakes. I really need to prepare better for that but coursework is 50% about intelligence so it is pretty hard to improve marks there.
I'm very confused now. Under the 'mark' column it says '96' in Unit 1 and '94' in Unit 2 with '33' in Unit 3X (the practical). Were the grade boundaries at 85% this year or is the 'mark' column not direct percentages? I know it is for Maths+FM.

Thankfully they allow coursework retakes. I really need to prepare better for that but coursework is 50% about intelligence so it is pretty hard to improve marks there.

For AQA Physics, the total UMS for a written exam is 120, the ISA is 60. That translates to 96/120, 94/120 and 33/60, or 80%, 78.3% and 55% respectively. This adds up to 74.2% overall, which is a B.
Reply 15

The units arent weighted equally, so i think if the coursework is worth 20% the 33 is actually out of 60 rather than 100. This also means that (now i dont know aqa's weightings for the various components, so take this with a pinch of salt) you got 96/120 and 94/120 in your other modules
Reply 16
For AQA Physics, the total UMS for a written exam is 120, the ISA is 60. That translates to 96/120, 94/120 and 33/60, or 80%, 78.3% and 55% respectively. This adds up to 74.2% overall, which is a B.

Bugger, your a much faster typer than me lol

Original post by Mr.bob
The units arent weighted equally, so i think if the coursework is worth 20% the 33 is actually out of 60 rather than 100. This also means that (now i dont know aqa's weightings for the various components, so take this with a pinch of salt) you got 96/120 and 94/120 in your other modules

Ah OK, thanks. Slightly disappointing but still a decent grade in Physics.
Ah OK, thanks. Slightly disappointing but still a decent grade in Physics.

Believe me, a lot of people in my Physics class made massive improvements in the second year. A friend of mine went from C to A in Physics, and it got him into Exeter (for Computing). So don't fret about what has happened, but what will happen.
Believe me, a lot of people in my Physics class made massive improvements in the second year. A friend of mine went from C to A in Physics, and it got him into Exeter (for Computing). So don't fret about what has happened, but what will happen.

Should I still retake the coursework though? Even a change from 55% -> 75% would be worthwhile, as that means I'll need 82% for an A

Quick Reply

Latest