The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pastagirl
Thank you for replying:smile: when i looked at undergraduate courses in speech and language therapy the requirements are 3 alevels however i am doing 2 alevels and a BTEC, also lots of universities want biology and psychology which i don't have (i decided i wanted to do speech therapy after picking my alevel subjects).

What A levels are you taking? And isn't a BTEC an acceptable replacement for your third A level anyway? The list of preferred subjects is quite long so not having psychology or biology may be ok - you just might have to apply wisely :smile: Which unis would you be interested in?
Depends on the university. And on the BTEC.
Original post by mrsrev
I had my email at the end of the week for online enrolment, but expect this is the start of the list as my surname is a 'B'. I'm sure yours will come through soon - just keep an eye out for email stating with 'srs.enrolment'...The process is easier than I dreaded and didn't take as long as they said!.

Worth noting though is that we have to enrol on campus on Sunday 20th Sept. I wasn't expecting this and the times are according to alphabet (A-B starting at 9am!).

No details about Welcome Week yet, though...

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Gosh I hope it comes through soon, I feel like i'm at the last hurdle and just want to get over it quickly so i'm officially on the course lol!!
I'll keep a look out, thanks again!
Original post by AmyPilot
What A levels are you taking? And isn't a BTEC an acceptable replacement for your third A level anyway? The list of preferred subjects is quite long so not having psychology or biology may be ok - you just might have to apply wisely :smile: Which unis would you be interested in?

I'm taking alevels in geography and business studies and a BTEC in photography
Original post by mrsrev
I had my email at the end of the week for online enrolment, but expect this is the start of the list as my surname is a 'B'. I'm sure yours will come through soon - just keep an eye out for email stating with 'srs.enrolment'...The process is easier than I dreaded and didn't take as long as they said!.

Worth noting though is that we have to enrol on campus on Sunday 20th Sept. I wasn't expecting this and the times are according to alphabet (A-B starting at 9am!).

No details about Welcome Week yet, though...

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

I had presumed that Sunday 20th was a mistake and that they meant 21st! Seems a bit strange all the department being open on a Sunday.

If we don't here anything else I'll email later in the week.

How are you doing?
Original post by JaaySLT
Hi, thanks for your reply.
Gosh I hope it comes through soon, I feel like i'm at the last hurdle and just want to get over it quickly so i'm officially on the course lol!!
I'll keep a look out, thanks again!

I logged onto the SRS last week and saw that on-line enrollment was available (I didn't receive an email asking me to do this) so I completed it. I then had an email saying now the on-line process was done, the details of the on campus enrollment were ..... I received this on Thursday evening. I would log on to SRS and see what is says.

Good luck.
Does anyone know what we need to provide to the Uni's re our NHS Bursaries? BCU haven't asked for any details so I'm not sure what the process involves. Thanks
Original post by shropshirelass51
Does anyone know what we need to provide to the Uni's re our NHS Bursaries? BCU haven't asked for any details so I'm not sure what the process involves. Thanks

You don't need to do anything - once you have formally enrolled they tell the NHS and the fees get paid direct. It's just the same as the loan for the usual degree/SFE.

Oh ok - might be a bit more difficult with those subjects - you will have to research which unis might accept them - the list of preferred subjects (but not necessarily essential) usually includes English language, psychology sociology another language, a science or music (not an exhaustive list obviously different at each uni).

Good luck:smile:

I second Amy - it's a good idea to check out different unis to see where they stand. I know from applying this year that a few of the unis don't have specific subject requirements/are lenient(ish) in their offers - i.e. Cardiff Met tended to state a BBB offer for those with a Science A Level but ABB for those without (I personally fell into the ABB category).

And I know that if Birmingham City's the same as it was last year, then Geography will fall into their 'social science' category, and they require 1 of these for the course (I'm not sure what the case is with other unis though).

But, like I said, you'll need to research various courses, just to see what's what. Good luck, and I hope it all works out in your favour!!! :biggrin:
I logged onto the SRS last week and saw that on-line enrollment was available (I didn't receive an email asking me to do this) so I completed it. I then had an email saying now the on-line process was done, the details of the on campus enrollment were ..... I received this on Thursday evening. I would log on to SRS and see what is says.

Good luck.

Thanks Shropshirelass. Very helpful. I've just gone ahead and took your advice and completed the online enrolment on SRS. I'm now awaiting an email telling the process has been done...halfway there!! We'll get there in the end lol!!!
Original post by rhimair
I second Amy - it's a good idea to check out different unis to see where they stand. I know from applying this year that a few of the unis don't have specific subject requirements/are lenient(ish) in their offers - i.e. Cardiff Met tended to state a BBB offer for those with a Science A Level but ABB for those without (I personally fell into the ABB category).

And I know that if Birmingham City's the same as it was last year, then Geography will fall into their 'social science' category, and they require 1 of these for the course (I'm not sure what the case is with other unis though).

But, like I said, you'll need to research various courses, just to see what's what. Good luck, and I hope it all works out in your favour!!! :biggrin:

okay, think I am going to go with the pathway of do a degree in early childhood studies and then do a postgraduate in speech and language therapy:smile:
Original post by JaaySLT
Hi, and thank you for your offering to help us 'newbies'! Roughly when can we realistically expect to receive our enrolment email from BCU, and what exactly can we expect to do at the Welcome Week? I'm in two minds about attending, but only because i'll have to really switch up childcare for that week? TIA for any reply!

I honestly can't remember back to when it was, but it'll be sorted in plenty of time :smile: There were welcome lectures in the first week, consisting on lectures on the course, history of SaLT, and campaigns such as Giving Voice and more. I think it it would be worth you attending - maybe email BCU and ask what it consists of this year (as it may have changed) and you can judge better to whether it will benefit you :smile:
I had presumed that Sunday 20th was a mistake and that they meant 21st! Seems a bit strange all the department being open on a Sunday.

How are you doing?

DMU's enrolment is on a Sunday as well :,)
Original post by JordanC55
DMU's enrolment is on a Sunday as well :,)

Thanks for that. The trains from here are not at all good on a Sunday so I'll have to have a plan B I think!
Reply 3915

How are you doing?

I'm doing well thanks - it's a relief to know that the plans for SLT have come together.

I emailed about the date and it is the Sunday - I'm going to have to drive as my first train gets to Five Ways at 10.17 and I have to enrol between 9 and 10. The SLT department said that the University runs the enrolment, not the department themselves.
Original post by mrsrev
I'm doing well thanks - it's a relief to know that the plans for SLT have come together.

I emailed about the date and it is the Sunday - I'm going to have to drive as my first train gets to Five Ways at 10.17 and I have to enrol between 9 and 10. The SLT department said that the University runs the enrolment, not the department themselves.

Thanks for the update. I'm lucky that my time isn't until 11, but I will probably still be a bit late because of the trains, but don't suppose it will matter too much.

It says we have to meet the department staff / students after so I guess they all have to be in too.

Feel a bit nervous, didn't think it would really happen!
Reply 3917
Thanks for the update. I'm lucky that my time isn't until 11, but I will probably still be a bit late because of the trains, but don't suppose it will matter too much.

It says we have to meet the department staff / students after so I guess they all have to be in too.

Feel a bit nervous, didn't think it would really happen!

I know... I feel a mixture of excitement and nerves at the moment, but I'm sure it will all settle down once we start and I get to know people in person.
Has anyone else noticed that Uni of Manchester has just appeared on the clearing list for SLT? It all seems a bit weird this year lol - what's going on? Never seen so many clearing choices :biggrin:
Original post by AmyPilot
Has anyone else noticed that Uni of Manchester has just appeared on the clearing list for SLT? It all seems a bit weird this year lol - what's going on? Never seen so many clearing choices :biggrin:

What, this late in the process? Maybe people have unexpectedly had second thoughts? Or nhs have funded extra places?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest