The Student Room Group

Any advice on how to get A in Psychology AS-level, please? >.<

I just picked Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology for my AS-level subjects...o-o' Sadly, although i've done the other three subjects at GCSE level, I've never done psychology. Could anyone offer me some advice on how to get an A in AQA psychology, please? If there are any tips on revising the content quickly as well as on grasping the exam technique, that would be MASSIVELY helpful. Thank you! X)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
We were made to do graphic organisers which really helped as it summarised each part that we needed to know. for instance, in cognitive we had a section of outlining the multistore model of memory, evaluation of it etc and we did them throughout the year when we finished the topic. Writing sample essays reallys helps if you write a 12 marker for each thing that could come up on the exam you should be covered! Closer to the exams get your teacher to have a read and see where you would need to improve etc!
Reply 2
Original post by Rxx
We were made to do graphic organisers which really helped as it summarised each part that we needed to know. for instance, in cognitive we had a section of outlining the multistore model of memory, evaluation of it etc and we did them throughout the year when we finished the topic. Writing sample essays reallys helps if you write a 12 marker for each thing that could come up on the exam you should be covered! Closer to the exams get your teacher to have a read and see where you would need to improve etc!

Thank you for the advice! X) I think that I will be doing AQA Psychology... Are there a lot of essays to write? Is there a particular exam technique that I would have to learn in order to answer the questions effectively? :s-smilie: I also heard that Psychology requires a lot of memorising... Are there any other ways that would make it easier to remember all the necessary material? >.<
Reply 3
I think the spec has changed this year but there was one 12 marker on each exam and usually there is an 8 marker too and other questions with lower marks. But yeah there's lots of memorising!
Reply 4
Original post by Rxx
I think the spec has changed this year but there was one 12 marker on each exam and usually there is an 8 marker too and other questions with lower marks. But yeah there's lots of memorising!

Ah... So is there like only 1/2 essays per exam? How long would you say the essay would have to be? :redface:

Thank you, btw, for answering my questions. It is very much appreciated! X)
Reply 5
Original post by Rxx

Hi, I have also chosen the same a levels as the OP :smile: Do you enjoy psychology?
Reply 6
Pretty much on each exam yeah, but in A2 there are meant to be loads so I'm scared! I'm ngl I didn't like IT at first because you had to get used to it and it was pretty boring topic we were doing at first but im thinking about doing at uni so it does get better I guess haha!
Reply 7
hey! Ive just started my second year of a levels and I did the exact same as the op for as level, to get an a you need to get above 80/100 ums on each paper. I got 78 Ums on PSYA 1 and 81 on PSYA 2 so I just missed out on an a grade :frown: but its ok because im going to get a remark haha. As long as you stay specific to the question, learn your case studies and don't be subjective you should get that grade you want, good luck :biggrin:§
Reply 8
oh btw you will really enjoy the subject because it ties in well with bio chem and maths
Getting an A is easily possible. Its a case of practicing past papers and the 12 marker essay answers. A good video on it is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvkjqjJQUZU
We chose the same AS levels ☺️ And I have never done psychology either. What exam board are you covering?
Original post by L.Yrru
I just picked Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology for my AS-level subjects...o-o' Sadly, although i've done the other three subjects at GCSE level, I've never done psychology. Could anyone offer me some advice on how to get an A in AQA psychology, please? If there are any tips on revising the content quickly as well as on grasping the exam technique, that would be MASSIVELY helpful. Thank you! X)

Exam questions. I never studied psychology until my AS-Levels last year and I found that just practice and it will help so much. You can never start your revision too early, I began at Christmas and my predicted grade was a C but I got an A. I also found that flashcards and interactive activities with other students helped so Q&A and group or one-to-one revision sessions. I also found that apps like Quizlet helped too when studying on my own. Just keep revising! It seems hard now - but it will pay off in the end!
I'm doing the same subjects as you. Although dropping Chemistry this year. For Psych, there is a huge amount of content, but just remember you don't have to learn every single case study there is, just a good range and the key ones. Acronyms are also useful. We had quite a lot of end of term tests and quizzes so I always made sure I revised for those. The trick is revising in small chunks and regularly to get it to stick. Invest in a small whiteboard to test yourself and perhaps make a study group with friends where you can test each other. Also make a really good set of revision notes as you go along which you can refer to. Make sure that you've done an essay to a good standard for every single potential question that could come up, and get a teacher to mark these. Then make plans of the key points and redo the essays in timed conditions closer to exams. And obviously practice papers etc. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending