The Student Room Group

AS AQA Psychology A Unit 1 Remark?

Okay, so I just got my Unit 1 script back for AQA AS Psychology Unit 1.

I got a D in this exam, which was very strange seeing as I've been hitting As throughout the year, and I revised thoroughly for this one. It felt like this exam went really well.

I'm just wondering if anyone else got their script back, and if you also got strange marks (or lack of?).

Throughout the paper I was losing one or two marks here and there which seemed fine, but on the 12 marker I apparently only got 1 AO1 mark and 1 AO2 mark? Reading it back through, it does seem like I should have got a lot more than that, unless I am completely misunderstanding the question on Bowlby's Theory of Attachment.

I'm stumped. I will go through it with my teacher when I'm back, but I would really like to know what's going on.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dhanihk

I got a D in this exam, which was very strange seeing as I've been hitting As throughout the year, and I revised thoroughly for this one. It felt like this exam went really well.

I'm just wondering if anyone else got their script back, and if you also got strange marks (or lack of?).

Throughout the paper I was losing one or two marks here and there which seemed fine, but on the 12 marker I apparently only got 1 AO1 mark and 1 AO2 mark? Reading it back through, it does seem like I should have got a lot more than that, unless I am completely misunderstanding the question on Bowlby's Theory of Attachment.

I'm stumped. I will go through it with my teacher when I'm back, but I would really like to know what's going on.

Hi there,

It is possible that your marks for the 12 mark questions may not be correct, your teacher will have a look at it and should be able to give you an idea of how many marks they think that you should have got. If your teacher thinks that your marks are too low, you should ask for a remark of the paper. I think you have until September 20th to ask for a remark, so don't panic :smile:

Hope it all works out and you pickup some extra marks and your grade jumps up a few grades :smile:

Matt
LearnOnline
Reply 2
Original post by LearnOnline
Hi there,

It is possible that your marks for the 12 mark questions may not be correct, your teacher will have a look at it and should be able to give you an idea of how many marks they think that you should have got. If your teacher thinks that your marks are too low, you should ask for a remark of the paper. I think you have until September 20th to ask for a remark, so don't panic :smile:

Hope it all works out and you pickup some extra marks and your grade jumps up a few grades :smile:

Matt
LearnOnline

Hey Matt,

Thanks for your reply, that is reassuring. I hope you're right, I'll definitely get my teacher to take a look at it. :smile: I wasn't sure how possible it was for exam markers to be wrong, but I guess it is possible.

Thanks again,
From another Matt
Original post by Dhanihk
Hey Matt,

Thanks for your reply, that is reassuring. I hope you're right, I'll definitely get my teacher to take a look at it. :smile: I wasn't sure how possible it was for exam markers to be wrong, but I guess it is possible.

Thanks again,
From another Matt

Hey Matt, everybody makes mistakes, even exam boards and test markers!

Don't sweat it, see what your teacher says and take it from there :smile:

Matt
LearnOnline
I agree with you completely, I sat AQA Psychology AS (Unit A & B). I overall got an U, which is strange because I was getting Bs and Cs throughout the year. I don't know what has happened because I have the knowledge of the topics that came up on the paper.
Reply 5
Original post by mollie-brunyee
I agree with you completely, I sat AQA Psychology AS (Unit A & B). I overall got an U, which is strange because I was getting Bs and Cs throughout the year. I don't know what has happened because I have the knowledge of the topics that came up on the paper.

Ah I'm really sorry to hear that :/ a lot of other people in my class got lower than expected, too. Have you got your script back to go through it with your teacher?
Original post by Dhanihk
Ah I'm really sorry to hear that :/ a lot of other people in my class got lower than expected, too. Have you got your script back to go through it with your teacher?

No I don't, and unfortunately my teacher has left because she was pregnant, waiting to find out who my new one is.
Reply 7
No I don't, and unfortunately my teacher has left because she was pregnant, waiting to find out who my new one is.

That's annoying. :[ Do you know how close to the boundaries you were? It might be worth a remark, if you're willing to gamble about £50...
Original post by Dhanihk
That's annoying. :[ Do you know how close to the boundaries you were? It might be worth a remark, if you're willing to gamble about £50...

Hmmm, I will defiantly consider it or am I better off re-sitting?
Reply 9
Hmmm, I will defiantly consider it or am I better off re-sitting?

Oh, resitting is probably your best bet, in which case it's a good idea to get your scripts back if you still can so you can go through it with your new teacher, whoever that may be.

Are you not dropping Psychology, then?
Original post by Dhanihk
Oh, resitting is probably your best bet, in which case it's a good idea to get your scripts back if you still can so you can go through it with your new teacher, whoever that may be.

Are you not dropping Psychology, then?

Yeah I'll get my scripts back anyway. I honestly don't want to drop psychology so I'm guessing I'll just retake. It all depends on what my sixth form is planning to do with the lesson, as the highest grade someone got was an E in the lesson.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It feels like this happens to a lot of people. The reason probably is that your teacher (Or whomever) is taking you for the course is not marking with the same scrutiny as the examiners, or, there is just some exam performance issues. I would never take my grades in class for that as being representative of what I would get in A level psychology.

I was predicted around U/E for my entire AS year due to my class tests and assessments coming back as U/E but I knew I wasn't that bad. So when I did my AS exams I got a B. It's not representative. I would do some work around what the teacher has taught you (Get some textbooks or something, maybe some online resources) and learn those ontop of the class teachings. That way you are entirely prepared.
Reply 12
Original post by Dhanihk

Hiya,
I do Psych A aswell and have been getting straight A's throughout the year, however when my result came back as a B, i was disappointed. Im planning on sending off PSYA1 for a remark, even though i need another 4-5 marks for an A and doubt i will get that from one paper. Even if it goes up by one mark i dont mind to be honest - after all, every ums counts :smile:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-YN4_YfkBkVfkk3ZlRDZWZpd05tUkV0bWdXV1cyQVJIbGhPdEdQYjVDdE56Q0YtNUVXRDQ&usp=drive_web&tid=0B-YN4_YfkBkVfkZiYUNtd1k3dnFKMHZXdWlZVHQyZzVOS2YyQWlDcDBaSXBaWmdDU3FYS1k

If you havent already come across this, and i dont know whether it will be of any use, but it has the exam paper we sat, the mark scheme and exam report for psychology. My teacher had given me a breakdown of my marks for per question, so i sat down and recalled as much as i could of the answers i gave for the questions and then compared them to the markscheme, so i could work out whether it would be worth sending off my paper for a remark or not.

Hope it will be of use, and good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Ezgi18
Hiya,
I do Psych A aswell and have been getting straight A's throughout the year, however when my result came back as a B, i was disappointed. Im planning on sending off PSYA1 for a remark, even though i need another 4-5 marks for an A and doubt i will get that from one paper. Even if it goes up by one mark i dont mind to be honest - after all, every ums counts :smile:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-YN4_YfkBkVfkk3ZlRDZWZpd05tUkV0bWdXV1cyQVJIbGhPdEdQYjVDdE56Q0YtNUVXRDQ&usp=drive_web&tid=0B-YN4_YfkBkVfkZiYUNtd1k3dnFKMHZXdWlZVHQyZzVOS2YyQWlDcDBaSXBaWmdDU3FYS1k

If you havent already come across this, and i dont know whether it will be of any use, but it has the exam paper we sat, the mark scheme and exam report for psychology. My teacher had given me a breakdown of my marks for per question, so i sat down and recalled as much as i could of the answers i gave for the questions and then compared them to the markscheme, so i could work out whether it would be worth sending off my paper for a remark or not.

Hope it will be of use, and good luck :smile:

Hey, thank you for this!

I hope your grade does go up - have you got your paper back to see if the marker made a mistake at all?

I got my paper back and let my teacher look through it, and he thinks that something went wrong with the marking on my essay question. They gave me 1 mark for AO1 and 1 for AO2, and I think when he went over it, he gave me 3 for AO1 and 6 for AO2...

I've sent mine off for a remark now, so hopefully my grade will be going up as I was only 3 UMS off of an overall B. I hope yours goes up to - if not, you can always make up for it in A2 c:
Reply 14
Original post by Dhanihk
Hey, thank you for this!

I hope your grade does go up - have you got your paper back to see if the marker made a mistake at all?

I got my paper back and let my teacher look through it, and he thinks that something went wrong with the marking on my essay question. They gave me 1 mark for AO1 and 1 for AO2, and I think when he went over it, he gave me 3 for AO1 and 6 for AO2...

I've sent mine off for a remark now, so hopefully my grade will be going up as I was only 3 UMS off of an overall B. I hope yours goes up to - if not, you can always make up for it in A2 c:

GOOD LUCK
If it comes back this week can you put on here what the result is??

I'm in a similar situation but i didnt get my paper back.
I got a D, 6 off a C...

I'm still shocked and surprised after how the exam went though, and looking at the paper on the link someone sent earlier i STILL cant work out what went wrong.

Maybe i got my hopes up, but i know that A LOT of people are feeling the same as me...

I'm just in a tricky situation of...do i risk 50, or even 100 quid for these remarks....becasue i came out the exams thinking it wouldnt be lower than a C (that sounds really cocky, but you know what i mean)

I have a massive worry that some AQA examiner just sat there and got bored so made up half of these results

Although, of course, there is the fact that i just did terrible....but i didnt do anything differently from what i did to get A's and B's in past papers....

Okay sorry for the rant..

from ANOTHER Matt lmao
Reply 15
Original post by MW-19--
GOOD LUCK
If it comes back this week can you put on here what the result is??

I'm in a similar situation but i didnt get my paper back.
I got a D, 6 off a C...

I'm still shocked and surprised after how the exam went though, and looking at the paper on the link someone sent earlier i STILL cant work out what went wrong.

Maybe i got my hopes up, but i know that A LOT of people are feeling the same as me...

I'm just in a tricky situation of...do i risk 50, or even 100 quid for these remarks....becasue i came out the exams thinking it wouldnt be lower than a C (that sounds really cocky, but you know what i mean)

I have a massive worry that some AQA examiner just sat there and got bored so made up half of these results

Although, of course, there is the fact that i just did terrible....but i didnt do anything differently from what i did to get A's and B's in past papers....

Okay sorry for the rant..

from ANOTHER Matt lmao

Hey other Matt xD

It does sound like we're in a very similar boat, then - I think I got 5 marks off a C in Unit 1. I'll definitely post my result if it comes back within the week. Perhaps you suffered from a lazy marker... my psychology teacher said that because of the changing syllabus next year, AQA (and probably other exam boards) struggled to find markers, which might be why AQA results seemed so off this year (well, at my school, anyway).

I totally understand the "should I gamble 50 quid for a chance of my grade going up" thing, I honestly don't know why they charge so much - I'd imagine it's to put people off getting it remarked. I think the reason I'm willing to pay it is because my AQA English Language went up 8 UMS with a remark, and the school's paying for my whole year's AQA English Lit remarks because the results were so amiss. So my faith in AQA markers is now pretty much non-existent.... :angry:

I hope it all works out for you, too. This education system is so awful.
Reply 16
Original post by Dhanihk
Hey other Matt xD

It does sound like we're in a very similar boat, then - I think I got 5 marks off a C in Unit 1. I'll definitely post my result if it comes back within the week. Perhaps you suffered from a lazy marker... my psychology teacher said that because of the changing syllabus next year, AQA (and probably other exam boards) struggled to find markers, which might be why AQA results seemed so off this year (well, at my school, anyway).

I totally understand the "should I gamble 50 quid for a chance of my grade going up" thing, I honestly don't know why they charge so much - I'd imagine it's to put people off getting it remarked. I think the reason I'm willing to pay it is because my AQA English Language went up 8 UMS with a remark, and the school's paying for my whole year's AQA English Lit remarks because the results were so amiss. So my faith in AQA markers is now pretty much non-existent.... :angry:

I hope it all works out for you, too. This education system is so awful.

Well i'm going to submit at least one for a remark because I only need 6 UMS so hopefully thats only a few marks!
Just hope it pays off!!
Reply 17
I need 14 ums for the next grade (A) in psychology unit 1. Felt as though the exam went alot better. Whats the chances of it going up???

Has anyone got their remark back and if so how much did it go up by
Reply 18
OMG HELP PLEASE - THIS COULD APPLY TO YOU

RIGHT SO I JUST READ THIS ARTICLE http://timadamssport.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/revealed-some-level-results-from-aqa.html

First of all - it could be all made up, i know i know

Okay so for those qho dont wanna read it, its discussing allegations of AQA messing up UMS and raw marks

aka they might have forgot to convert raw marks

this may explian my result

I got 114 'UMS' (D)

I worked very hard for this subject... and came out the exam thinking it went the best out of exams like ever

so
PSYA1 - 60 'ums'....but it could be 60 raw marks....

now the article says it hastn happened to everyone...but could this explain such terrible marks

please respond any ideas because i am having a remark dilemma!!!
Reply 19
Original post by MW-19--
OMG HELP PLEASE - THIS COULD APPLY TO YOU

RIGHT SO I JUST READ THIS ARTICLE http://timadamssport.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/revealed-some-level-results-from-aqa.html

First of all - it could be all made up, i know i know

Okay so for those qho dont wanna read it, its discussing allegations of AQA messing up UMS and raw marks

aka they might have forgot to convert raw marks

this may explian my result

I got 114 'UMS' (D)

I worked very hard for this subject... and came out the exam thinking it went the best out of exams like ever

so
PSYA1 - 60 'ums'....but it could be 60 raw marks....

now the article says it hastn happened to everyone...but could this explain such terrible marks

please respond any ideas because i am having a remark dilemma!!!

Hey Matt,

Hm, well it's always a possibility that something could've gone wrong. But I really wouldn't jump to immediate conclusions.

I, too, worked very hard for this subject and came out thinking the Unit 1 paper was the easiest exam ever. But most of the marking seemed to be accurate when I got my paper back, so I might have just done badly for whatever reason. I did, however, get my remark back today which went up 9 UMS (so I now have a B at AS c: ) which is probably due to initial poor marking on my essay question more than anything else.

When do you have to give remark forms in by? - because at my school the deadline was yesterday. If you still can get a remark then I'd go for it if you have money to spare, as you don't think it's accurate and are quite sure that something went wrong. Hopefully it goes up! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending