The Student Room Group

Help on paying this charge please?

About two weeks ago I was running late for work and when I got there (about 8 AM) the car park was already full. So I parked in the car park of a nearby superstore. I was only there for just over three hours.

For the record, this particular superstore's car park is nearly always empty but anyhow I've been hit with a £100 fine (can be reduced to £60 if paid by tomorrow). As far as I can tell it's not from the police or the council but rather from "ParkingEye Car Park Solutions" who appear to be a private company managing a private car park.

Can I ask what my options are here? I am a new and inexperienced driver and I have definitely learnt my lesson. But that is a ridiculous amount to pay and I am really struggling for money at the moment. What will happen if I simply don't pay it? Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Best to google this - there's loads of info around. Search parking eye response letter.

Unfortunately they recently came out better in a court case (Google this also) meaning that they can continue invoicing (it isn't a fine) people ridiculous amounts.

Also unfortunately, Parking Eye have been taking non-payers to court more and more recently. If you don't pay and don't send an appeal letter (or similar) you may well receive a summons for court - and that's something you can't ignore.

Pay it or fight it - up until a year or so ago I'd have said ignore it, but that's becoming much less easy to do, and they'll almost certainly continue chasing you.
Reply 2
Original post by shaymarriott
Best to google this - there's loads of info around. Search parking eye response letter.

Unfortunately they recently came out better in a court case (Google this also) meaning that they can continue invoicing (it isn't a fine) people ridiculous amounts.

Also unfortunately, Parking Eye have been taking non-payers to court more and more recently. If you don't pay and don't send an appeal letter (or similar) you may well receive a summons for court - and that's something you can't ignore.

Pay it or fight it - up until a year or so ago I'd have said ignore it, but that's becoming much less easy to do, and they'll almost certainly continue chasing you.

Ah ****, I'd probably be better off paying it then :frown:
Original post by phagocyte
ah ****, i'd probably be better off paying it then :frown:

dont pay it
They are only allowed to charge you for "reasonable profit lost" which IMO £60 pound is waay too much! It's alot easier to fight it and not pay then pay it then try get the money back!

I had an exam last year in a leisure centre and forgot to pay for a ticket! I managed to get off it by saying that the fine charged "£60" was inproportionate to the amount I would've had to pay for a ticket (6.50 for a day ticket)
PM me if you want me to send you the template I sent them!
Reply 5
Original post by Phagocyte
Ah ****, I'd probably be better off paying it then :frown:

The money saving expert forums have a lot of guides on parking invoices, you'd be best off referring to those.
Reply 6
Original post by I.D.G.A.F.O.S
IMO £60 pound is waay too much!

Unfortunately your opinion does not match that of the court.
Original post by Reue
Unfortunately your opinion does not match that of the court.

From what the OP says it's not from the council so the worst the company can do is take you to a small claims court... Read up on the subject :smile: I have successfully appealed a ticket I got in July,
Read this
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets

From what the OP says, The car park is never full and so the supermarket can't claim loss of profit. It is unfair and exorbitant and so she can appeal :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by I.D.G.A.F.O.S
From what the OP says it's not from the council so the worst the company can do is take you to a small claims court... Read up on the subject :smile: I have successfully appealed a ticket I got in July,
Read this
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets

I have read up plenty :smile:

And previous court test cases have shown that £60 is considered a reasonable invoice amount.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending