The Student Room Group

Im a girl with fine black hairs all over my breasts, stomach, lower back, buttocks

Is this normal? Im 19 and I practically shave my entire body apart from my arms, upper back and sides of my stomach. Its a big insecurity of mine but I try to tell myself its inevitable my mother is asian (although hairless?!) but my dad is very hairy.The hairs are not wiry or thick and coarse, but because they are fine and black they are very noticeable. I am currently on birth control (pill) which I started almost 2 years ago, and before this I had regular periods every month since I was 11. I also do not grow hair on my chin/neck, so I don't really think it could be PCOS. I was wondering if this is considered excess body hair/if it is a cause for concern?

Scroll to see replies

I don't have any hair on my breasts, stomach etc. The only place where I do is on my arms and legs or at least that's where they are noticeable anyway. I'd consider it a little excessive as I didn't know you could grow hair in some of those places you mentioned but may just be because your mum is asian and they usually tend to have more body hair so you shouldn't worry?
dont worry about it at all, i have hair in similar places - loads of women do!! it is completely normal, even though the media have portrayed it to be abnormal/unattractive it isnt, i dont bother shaving it half the time (only when i want to) because it is a natural thing! also i would recommend not shaving as it can cause hairs to grow back thicker, maybe try using hair removal cream or another method instead if you already are worried about it
It does seem unusual, but not extremely alarming. Did it start before or after you started going on the pill? It may well be caused by some hormonal imbalance as a result of this.

Otherwise, I'd suggest looking into waxing or even electrolysis treatment. As a guy, I experimented with shaving the body for a while but found it way too tedious, not to mention qute bad for regrowth, stubble, ingrowns etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I don't have any hair on my breasts, stomach etc. The only place where I do is on my arms and legs or at least that's where they are noticeable anyway. I'd consider it a little excessive as I didn't know you could grow hair in some of those places you mentioned but may just be because your mum is asian and they usually tend to have more body hair so you shouldn't worry?

I know its quite common for girls to grow hair on their stomach, and around their nipples but not all over the breast. Yeah only thing about my mum is she literally has NO hair on her arms and tweezes strays out of her legs. she said she was hairy as a young girl but it "fell off". Not sure if thats true though or if she got it removed. I want to maybe tell my doctor but I don't know if its petty
Reply 5
dont worry about it at all, i have hair in similar places - loads of women do!! it is completely normal, even though the media have portrayed it to be abnormal/unattractive it isnt, i dont bother shaving it half the time (only when i want to) because it is a natural thing! also i would recommend not shaving as it can cause hairs to grow back thicker, maybe try using hair removal cream or another method instead if you already are worried about it

Glad to hear it! I don't bother shaving it either unless my boyfriend is going to see lol. Only reason I was worrying is because when I googled it some people say It could be an underlying medical condition. Yeah I am going to try and use hair removal on stomach/back, but stick to shaving legs as its quick.
I thought everyone had fine hairs all over their body, it's usually not noticeable because the hair is fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by sjgriffiths
It does seem unusual, but not extremely alarming. Did it start before or after you started going on the pill? It may well be caused by some hormonal imbalance as a result of this.

Otherwise, I'd suggest looking into waxing or even electrolysis treatment. As a guy, I experimented with shaving the body for a while but found it way too tedious, not to mention qute bad for regrowth, stubble, ingrowns etc.

It started long before, maybe even when I was 13/14, so don't think the pill has any affect. Yeah might start waxing j!
Reply 8
Original post by TheGreatImposter
I thought everyone had fine hairs all over their body, it's usually not noticeable because the hair is fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, its a bit more noticeable than peach fuzz I think as the hairs, if not maintained grow to a noticeable, but still very short length.
Glad to hear it! I don't bother shaving it either unless my boyfriend is going to see lol. Only reason I was worrying is because when I googled it some people say It could be an underlying medical condition. Yeah I am going to try and use hair removal on stomach/back, but stick to shaving legs as its quick.

if you are really worried about it then pop and see your GP - better to be safe than sorry i suppose! but i dont think its much to worry about at all!
Yeah, basically everyone has fine, effectively translucent vellus hair, which is triggered to mature into black terminal hair through androgenic hormones.

It's perfectly natural; it's just that the process occurs more noticeablely in males on average due to the male androgenic hormones being responsible. The hormonal balance varies from person to person, so whether or not there really is a controllable cause, it's not cause for alarm.
Original post by sjgriffiths
Yeah, basically everyone has fine, effectively translucent vellus hair, which is triggered to mature into black terminal hair through androgenic hormones.

It's perfectly natural; it's just that the process occurs more noticeablely in males on average due to the male androgenic hormones being responsible. The hormonal balance varies from person to person, so whether or not there really is a controllable cause, it's not cause for alarm.

Okay so your saying if it was caused by androgenic hormones, its totally normal for females to have them too?
Okay so your saying if it was caused by androgenic hormones, its totally normal for females to have them too?

Yep, you get females with higher-than-average levels of these hormones just like you get males with lower-than-average levels; there's not necessarily any specific cause outside of genetics.
if you are really worried about it then pop and see your GP - better to be safe than sorry i suppose! but i dont think its much to worry about at all!

Yeah I might do that as I am seeing her soon for another reason and might just ask at the end! You could be right to be honest, as even though the hair is in a lot of places, its not very dense like on my thighs iI don't even shave on the inside portion of them because it practically doesn't grow there.
I am pretty much exactly the same as you. There isn't anything to worry about. I just remove it when I do need to.
Reply 15
Society tells girls to remove all facial and body hair except your head. I do not believe in what society said. I believe that beauty comes form your heart and not your body appearance. I do not believe in what society said. I believe that natural girls/ladies are just as beautiful as girls/ladies with little or no facial or body hairs. I believe that beauty comes form your heart and not your body appearance. Here are some reasons that girls/ladies have more facial or body hairs, family genes, medicines you taken, health issues, higher levels of testosterone inside your blood stream, Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome or are a natural lady. I would be a beautiful confidant lady, you will do well in life. I hope this is helpful. Thank you, R.T.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0210RTT
Society tells girls to remove all facial and body hair except your head. I do not believe in what society said. I believe that beauty comes form your heart and not your body appearance. I do not believe in what society said. I believe that natural girls/ladies are just as beautiful as girls/ladies with little or no facial or body hairs. I believe that beauty comes form your heart and not your body appearance. Here are some reasons that girls/ladies have more facial or body hairs, family genes, medicines you taken, health issues, higher levels of testosterone inside your blood stream, Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome or are a natural lady. I would be a beautiful confidant lady, you will do well in life. I hope this is helpful. Thank you, R.T.

Chewbacca
Reply 18
I've always been super hairy and I started waxing my legs when I was nine. When I was around 11 I started growing back hair and started waxing my back as well then when I was twelve I started noticing stomach hair same fine black as you. From what I know some people have the same problem as us and usually just wax. Don't shave or else it will grow back faster and thicker. I recommend waxing either at home or with professionals ( I usually go professionals because as most people it would be really hard to wax it on my own unless you have a friend helping ) or an epilator which is a machine that plucks out hairs (search it up) at first it might hurt but you get used to it after a while and it becomes a mild sting. Hope this helped😁
this is completely normal, most likely genetic. i'm a girl and i have hair literally everywhere, even the places you described not having hair, don't worry :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest