The Student Room Group

How can I get into Uni?

Hi,

Please can someone help me? I am currently working full time and 19 although 20 in October. I want to go to uni but currently only have GCSE'S. What courses online could I take to get into uni? I'm living in Chester and don't know of any evening Access to He courses so I was thinking of an online Btec or HNC but don't know of any?

Can someone please give me advice?

Scroll to see replies

Sit 3 AS levels and 3 A2 levels the next year (the same subjects). 3 A2s is the typical university offer (ie AAA or BBC). Pick three subjects you are passionate about and can see yourself pursuing a degree and career in.. Which subjects did you enjoy at GCSE level?

Don't mean to be judgemental but if a uni accepts BTECs then they're sort of not worth the £45,000+ investment.. (Just a general rule - don't want any hate off people doing BTECs 😳)

Pick a few universities you like the look of and are respectable - you can work this out by looking at graduate prospects, cross analysis of the various league tables, etc - you will only know which ones to apply for once you have your AS results - ie at the end if your first year of study

It will be costly but as you're working full time it shouldn't be out of your reach :smile:

I studied independently with Open Study College and found it to be pretty much what I was expecting - comprehensive materials and a responsive tutor who even prioritised my assignments to ensure I got a predicted grade in time for my university (I sat AS/A2 in 1 year) - either way it was good enough for me to get an A in 1 year with no previous experience in the subject AND whilst travelling around Australia, so I'd say it is a safe bet!

Good luck with pursuing your ambition to go to university - if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask (I'm a soon-to-be first year so I can only advise on UCAS and A levels, not on university life)
Hi ,

Thanks for your reply. Couple of things, I work full time and dont know where i can do a btec but a btec is what i want to do however i cant see any accredited online couses. Also A levels are changing in september 2016 and im better at coursework instead of exams.

Furthermore what online colleges could i do a btec in?
Original post by danavfc96
Don't mean to be judgemental but if a uni accepts BTECs then they're sort of not worth the £45,000+ investment.. (Just a general rule - don't want any hate off people doing BTECs 😳)

You clearly don't know what you're on about. Almost every uni accepts BTEC.
If you choose to do BTECs you do limit yourself in terms of what universities you can apply to/realistically expect to get an offer from, however that's your choice!

On a serious note, stay away from universities like Greenwich, Bolton, Southampton Solent, pretty much any university below the 'top 50'. they exist purely on the basis that everyone "deserves" a higher education, but in reality provide neither the economy nor the degree holder with any real life advantage. If you're going to go to university, choose a traditional subject (STEM subjects, certain humanities subjects such as languages, you pretty much can't go wrong with these) and a traditional/high-to-mid-ranking university. It really is a case of go hard or don't go at all so that you don't waste at least 3 years of your life and get encumbered with £45,000 worth of debt you can't make a dent in, due to the sheer volume of candidates who are being pushed towards university to study frankly vocational subjects (Media Studies, Event Management) which dont require such education.

You should really consider whether or not university is your best option - what would you like to study at university? Would an apprenticeship be a more suitable option, if you're insistent on BTECs?

I can't help you with finding an accredited provider of BTEC courses unfortunately, I have no experience in them. Hopefully somebody else will be able to assist
Original post by callum_law
You clearly don't know what you're on about. Almost every uni accepts BTEC.

Yeah every university accepts BTECs (or at least says they do) to avoid discrimination, but you don't see many (if any) Oxbridge undergrads with a BTEC diploma instead of stellar A Level results, do you?

Same applies for the top 10-15 universities

"You've gone from saying that is uni accepts BTEC then they are worthless" to saying "Well all unis accept BTECs, but they don't really mean it". The message you are putting out there is confused and you're performing the classic No true Scotsman fallacy. Just admit you're wrong and we can get over it.

I can't help you with finding an accredited provider of BTEC courses unfortunately, I have no experience in them. Hopefully somebody else will be able to assist

You also have no experience of the top 15 universities to understand how many people at those universities studied BTECs, but didn't stop you offering your expertise.
(edited 8 years ago)
"You've gone from saying that is uni accepts BTEC then they are worthless" to saying "Well all unis accept BTECs, but they don't really mean it". The message you are putting out there is confused and you're performing the classic No true Scotsman fallacy. Just admit you're wrong and we can get over it.

there's a difference between accepting BTECs and claiming you accept BTECs..

OP wanted to do BTECs; I stated that if a university accepts BTECs, they are not worth going to (as they are less prestigious, academically worse, etc) - sorry, I should have finished my point.

I didn't state, however, that a university which says it accepts BTECs isn't worth going to, because you would have to discount every university on 'the list', as you rightly pointed out.

We could argue on the technicality of it all day, at the end of it all, you inferred incorrectly what I meant by what I said, which was right.

I was thinking more in terms of practicality and OP getting an offer, as well as the fact that I know of LITERALLY no-one who got into a decent* university on BTECs alone.

*lets face it, if snobbery is merited anywhere in the world, it's the world of university - the prestige a university carries is undeniably important - my girlfriend's aunt is the head of AMP in Australia, and she practically wet herself when I said I was going to study at Warwick, due to the prestige it has accrued and the alumni it has produced. Therefore it is important to aim high in order to justify going at all
Step 1: Hang around outside university of your choice
Step 2: Wait until somebody opens the door to go into one of the buildings
Step 3: Follow them close enough that you can get in before the door closes.

Success!

Seriously though, great answers from other users, basically, most common way is Secondary School>6th Form>Uni (From my experience, although it is certainly not the only way)

OP wanted to do BTECs; I stated that if a university accepts BTECs, they are not worth going to (as they are less prestigious, academically worse, etc) - sorry, I should have finished my point.

I didn't state, however, that a university which says it accepts BTECs isn't worth going to, because you would have to discount every university on 'the list', as you rightly pointed out.

We could argue on the technicality of it all day, at the end of it all, you inferred incorrectly what I meant by what I said, which was right.

I was thinking more in terms of practicality and OP getting an offer, as well as the fact that I know of LITERALLY no-one who got into a decent* university on BTECs alone.

*lets face it, if snobbery is merited anywhere in the world, it's the world of university - the prestige a university carries is undeniably important - my girlfriend's aunt is the head of AMP in Australia, and she practically wet herself when I said I was going to study at Warwick, due to the prestige it has accrued and the alumni it has produced. Therefore it is important to aim high in order to justify going at all

Oh, the certainty of the inexperienced teenager!

BTECs are a perfectly good way of getting into university to study certain subjects such as engineering or film production. Very good universities for the former such as Southampton and Brunel definitely accept BTEC students.

However, BTECs would be less suitable for 'traditional' subjects such as History or English Literature at a good uni. It depends what the OP wants to study.

If I misunderstood your point, it is because you expressed your point poorly.

as well as the fact that I know of LITERALLY no-one who got into a decent* university.

This is exactly why I mentioned your not having studied at university yet. If you had, you'd meet several people on your course who have completed a BTEC. Perhaps if you'd have actually studied at a university, your LITERALLY having not known any at a decent uni with a BTEC would be somewhat persuasive. "I don't know anyone on the ISS who likes fish." Do you know anyone on the ISS? "No." It's not very persuasive, is it?

my girlfriend's aunt is the head of AMP in Australia, and she practically wet herself when I said I was going to study at Warwick, due to the prestige it has accrued and the alumni it has produced.

Great story. So essentially if OP wants your girlfriend's auntie to piss herself, he should go to Warwick because it doesn't accept BTECs even though it does nominally and actually accept BTECs.

You jumped into something you have no experience of and created an indefensible position. Stop trying to fight it and just accept you have not been to uni, you don't know anything about BTECs, and we can all go back to watching Shark Tank. Cushty.
(edited 8 years ago)
Seems as though Callum has absolutely owned the Villa fan.

Good entertainment though :smile:
Original post by ageshallnot
Oh, the certainty of the inexperienced teenager!

BTECs are a perfectly good way of getting into university to study certain subjects such as engineering or film production. Very good universities for the former such as Southampton and Brunel definitely accept BTEC students.

However, BTECs would be less suitable for 'traditional' subjects such as History or English Literature at a good uni. It depends what the OP wants to study.

hence why I asked what he wanted to study - as BTECs are traditionally more vocational, I thought that a vocational path would be more suited - eg apprenticeships
If I misunderstood your point, it is because you expressed your point poorly.

This is exactly why I mentioned your not having studied at university yet. If you had, you'd meet several people on your course who have completed a BTEC. Perhaps if you'd have actually studied at a university, your LITERALLY having not known any at a decent uni with a BTEC would be somewhat persuasive. "I don't know anyone on the ISS who likes fish." Do you know anyone on the ISS? "No." It's not very persuasive, is it?

Great story. So essentially if OP wants your girlfriend's auntie to piss herself, he should go to Warwick because it doesn't accept BTECs even though it does nominally and actually accept BTECs.

You jumped into something you have no experience of and created an indefensible position. Stop trying to fight it and just accept you have not been to uni, you don't know anything about BTECs, and we can all go back to watching Shark Tank. Cushty.

Just because I haven't begun my degree, doesn't mean I haven't been to university..

I have been to open days at Warwick, Oxford, Cambridge, York, Manchester, LSE, Imperial, UCL. I also have friends as current students at Cambridge, Sheffield, Bath, Nottingham, Oxford. Now before you try to immaturely mock me again, the reason I mention this is that I have been to all of these universities, spoken with current students, in fact at pretty much all of them, admissions tutors or current students were asked about BTECs in particular, and it was massively obvious that BTECs put you at a significant disadvantage (certain people actually went as far as to say that if you were applying with BTECs you may as well add another choice to your UCAS instead)

Please don't be so short-sighted as to think that, just because I haven't started university for myself, I know nothing - we all spent two years (or at least should have) thoroughly researching, visiting and finding out pretty much everything possible about the universities that interested us. As mine were predominantly top 10 universities, that is the knowledge I can share, and the bottom line is BTECs are nowhere near as respected as A levels at these institutions, and as such won't result in an offer, notwithstanding extremely extenuating circumstances.

Well yeah, and given that she's the CEO of a A$700m company of AMP's reputation, I'd say that's the sort of person you want to be impressing, wouldn't you?

I know that you're a budding lawyer and all, and trust me, I love an argument as much as all of you LLB students, but for OP's sake, do you actually disagree with my point (my actual point, however badly it was made) or are you creating an argument for argument's sake? (I totally understand if its the latter! I'm a pedantic b*****d myself :biggrin:)

EDIT: I presumed this was a given, but I'm talking about a BTEC in place of an A level, not in addition. Yeah there were people who had completed BTECs, mainly at GCSE equiv. level, but even when at A Level equiv. the BTEC wasn't considered as part of the offer
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Sit 3 AS levels and 3 A2 levels the next year (the same subjects). 3 A2s is the typical university offer (ie AAA or BBC). Pick three subjects you are passionate about and can see yourself pursuing a degree and career in.. Which subjects did you enjoy at GCSE level?

Pick a few universities you like the look of and are respectable - you can work this out by looking at graduate prospects, cross analysis of the various league tables, etc - you will only know which ones to apply for once you have your AS results - ie at the end if your first year of study

It will be costly but as you're working full time it shouldn't be out of your reach :smile:

I studied independently with Open Study College and found it to be pretty much what I was expecting - comprehensive materials and a responsive tutor who even prioritised my assignments to ensure I got a predicted grade in time for my university (I sat AS/A2 in 1 year) - either way it was good enough for me to get an A in 1 year with no previous experience in the subject AND whilst travelling around Australia, so I'd say it is a safe bet!

Good luck with pursuing your ambition to go to university - if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask (I'm a soon-to-be first year so I can only advise on UCAS and A levels, not on university life)

I did a Computing BTEC and Im a second year Computer Science student at Royal Holloway how is that not worth the investment?

Most Russell group universities accept BTECs (for relevant courses) including: Oxford, UCL, Durham, Southampton, Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff, Birmingham, QMUL, Newcastle, KCL, Nottingham, Leeds, Bristol and York........ are they 'not worth' it either?

People from my BTEC class got into (and are doing well at): Southampton, Manchester, Bath, Surrey, Royal Holloway, Kings College London, Reading, Cardiff and Birmingham, still 'not worth' it?

Finally, you are statistically more likely to get a job after graduating if you have done a BTEC previously, 80% employment, whereas having A levels + a degree the employment rate is only 73%.........so i ask again, is doing a BTEC and going to a good university 'not worth it'?

Go and read the entry requirements for degree subjects also offered as level 3 BTECs. I know you said you didnt want any 'hate' but you need to seriously get your facts straight before posting rubbish like this (bold), sorry
Reply 15

I got into: Royal Holloway, Kings College London, Cardiff, Bath and Surrey to study Computer Science, this was with my Computing BTEC alone, i am now a second year at Royal Holloway
Original post by yt7777
I did a Computing BTEC and Im a second year Computer Science student at Royal Holloway how is that not worth the investment?

Most Russell group universities accept BTECs (for relevant courses) including: Oxford, UCL, Durham, Southampton, Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff, Birmingham, QMUL, Newcastle, KCL, Nottingham, Leeds, Bristol and York........ are they 'not worth' it either?

People from my BTEC class got into (and are doing well at): Southampton, Manchester, Bath, Surrey, Royal Holloway, Kings College London, Reading, Cardiff and Birmingham, still 'not worth' it?

Finally, you are statistically more likely to get a job after graduating if you have done a BTEC previously, 80% employment, whereas having A levels + a degree the employment rate is only 73%.........so i ask again, is doing a BTEC and going to a good university 'not worth it'?

Go and read the entry requirements for degree subjects also offered as level 3 BTECs. I know you said you didnt want any 'hate' but you need to seriously get your facts straight before posting rubbish like this (bold), sorry

I was mainly talking about vocational degrees - in response to OP - to find out if what he wanted to study merited a university course or would be better suited to an apprenticeship or other vocational path.

This is why I said general rule - obviously there are exceptions and yours is one of them.

I didn't mean to disparage BTECs in any way, I was more trying to warn OP away from doing a 'new-age' or vocational degree and paying out of his nose for it when an apprenticeship would be a better option - depending on what he wanted to do, which was what I was trying to find out.
Original post by yt7777
I got into: Royal Holloway, Kings College London, Cardiff, Bath and Surrey to study Computer Science, this was with my Computing BTEC alone, i am now a second year at Royal Holloway

actually, I concede that I didn't consider the situation with Computing BTECs so I take that one back.

I am not an omniscient being - I was only speaking from personal experience and the universities that I looked at and what I was told for the courses I was applying to.

Apologies to anyone I have offended, it was too broad a statement to make with regards BTECs as there are exceptions to the rule.

I think I have made my point quite clearly here, so it's not particularly useful to go into it further.

Other people who have actually studied BTEC and got onto decent unis can share their experiences. But for me ... I'm out. Shark Tank here I come, baby!
I think I have made my point quite clearly here, so it's not particularly useful to go into it further.

Other people who have actually studied BTEC and got onto decent unis can share their experiences. But for me ... I'm out. Shark Tank here I come, baby!

yo ****, I thought Shark Tank was that movie with those really cool fishies!

That's Shark Tale..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending