The Student Room Group

Michael Kors, the new commoner's aspirational brand

True or false? So dank to see every common muck spending their benefits on those bags and watches.
As far as I'm concerned, it's a fairly low-end brand that sells average stuff. It's not a proper designer label.
Reply 2
Original post by Most Competitive
As far as I'm concerned, it's a fairly low-end brand that sells average stuff. It's not a proper designer label.

Yeah , guess in these times of post recession, it will have to do. It is the new Burberry in some parts.
Hate it
Reply 4
Why does everyone have one of those horrid bags?! :lol:
I don't mean to sound snobby here, as I am far from rich and I admit I can't afford handbags that cost thousands of pounds. But I tend to save up my money so I can afford a luxury product whether it be a handbag or clothing, rather than a load of cheap tat. And in my opinion, Michael Kors is way too basic for me.. you go on instagram or into town and 90% of girls either have one of those REALLY original handbags or one of those tacky gold watches. I'm all for girls wearing what they want and that's totally cool with me, there's no law on what you can and can't wear. But I see it as a triangle; one person goes out and buys it and then everybody follows like sheep. I tend to find random bits of clothing or handbags in shops that most people haven't heard of, at least that way I'm not wearing something that thousands of other girls have on. But like I said, I'm all for girls wearing what they want. But personally I'm not into buying something just because of one small logo.
I'm a commoner and I find it tacky :erm:
I don't see the point in them tbh.Waste of money IMO .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
True or false? So dank to see every common muck spending their benefits on those bags and watches.

As an ex MK fan-girl I have to agree. I LOVED Michael Kors handbags for a long time before it became the go to accessory for every basic b****. The quality, style and originality of his handbags has gone downhill in the last 3 years and it saddens me to see nearly every woman down the street rocking a fluorescent Selma in the crook of their arm with pride. MK as a brand is fabulous however the market he targets not so. What tends to be the case is that people purchase expensive accessories but do not have the style to match and you end up with £250 handbags alongside Primark leggings over-sized jumpers and Converse. Not that there's anything wrong with that but this cheapens the brand somewhat.

I've since moved up in the handbag world to Balenciaga.:h:
Original post by Technetium
As an ex MK fan-girl I have to agree. I LOVED Michael Kors handbags for a long time before it became the go to accessory for every basic b****. The quality, style and originality of his handbags has gone downhill in the last 3 years and it saddens me to see nearly every woman down the street rocking a fluorescent Selma in the crook of their arm with pride. MK as a brand is fabulous however the market he targets not so. What tends to be the case is that people purchase expensive accessories but do not have the style to match and you end up with £250 handbags alongside Primark leggings over-sized jumpers and Converse. Not that there's anything wrong with that but this cheapens the brand somewhat.

I've since moved up in the handbag world to Balenciaga.:h:

Personally I don't see why people have to follow designer brands. If I see something nice then I may buy it, whether it has a brand or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elliemayxo
Personally I don't see why people have to follow designer brands. If I see something nice then I may buy it, whether it has a brand or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am the same when it comes to clothes but regarding (some) handbags and perfumes certain designers and perfume houses add a unique edge to the craftsmanship/composition of their products. Some people buy designer labels to show off and to make a statement whereas others buy/follow designers because they appreciate the quality and "niche-ness" of the brand.
hate it
a lot of my friends pine over this stuff
and the wise buyers few smile as we sit checking premium watches (mines a tag but two boy have rolexes, one has a patek) and the few girls in our contingent sit with gucci, prada and vuitton's
Original post by Technetium
I am the same when it comes to clothes but regarding (some) handbags and perfumes certain designers and perfume houses add a unique edge to the craftsmanship/composition of their products. Some people buy designer labels to show off and to make a statement whereas others buy/follow designers because they appreciate the quality and "niche-ness" of the brand.

I completely agree x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest