The Student Room Group

Not knowing what to do at university is getting me down

Hi everyone, I apologise in advance that this will be a long post, but I'd really love some advice.

I am having a really hard time at the moment, in that I still don't know what subject to apply for at university. I am just about to start my gap year, having completed my A Levels and received my results this August. I previously applied for degrees in Geology and Physical Geography/variations of this, and got into my firm choice, but I decided I wasn't ready to go this year, hence the gap year. Unfortunately, I realised that in order to go to university in September 2016, I need to apply this year, which is where the problem lies.

I've been suffering with low mood for some time now, but it's been particularly low since June after I felt that one exam, specifically for geology, my best A Level subject, went badly. However, even since getting my result back and getting an A overall, my confidence and (vague) interest in geology still haven't returned.

I started a course of antidepressants about a week ago to try and improve my mood, and although I know they will take a while to start working, I am becoming genuinely concerned over my apathy towards degree subjects. Geology and physical geography are the only subjects which I have ever taken even a small amount of interest in, and it's worrying me that I have now lost interest in these as well. I have booked an open day to visit the University of Hull in October to find out more about their BSc Geology with Physical Geography course, but I already feel so apathetic towards it, I don't know what to do anymore!

The ONLY reason I am still looking into geology is because I was naturally good at it at A Level, and I found it fairly straightforward. And seeing as I have zero interest in any other subject, I figured I may as well study it as a degree, considering I did well in it at A Level. Does this sound logical, or am I making a big mistake? I honestly don't know what to do.

Any and all advice is appreciated! :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi everyone, I apologise in advance that this will be a long post, but I'd really love some advice.

I am having a really hard time at the moment, in that I still don't know what subject to apply for at university. I am just about to start my gap year, having completed my A Levels and received my results this August. I previously applied for degrees in Geology and Physical Geography/variations of this, and got into my firm choice, but I decided I wasn't ready to go this year, hence the gap year. Unfortunately, I realised that in order to go to university in September 2016, I need to apply this year, which is where the problem lies.

I've been suffering with low mood for some time now, but it's been particularly low since June after I felt that one exam, specifically for geology, my best A Level subject, went badly. However, even since getting my result back and getting an A overall, my confidence and (vague) interest in geology still haven't returned.

I started a course of antidepressants about a week ago to try and improve my mood, and although I know they will take a while to start working, I am becoming genuinely concerned over my apathy towards degree subjects. Geology and physical geography are the only subjects which I have ever taken even a small amount of interest in, and it's worrying me that I have now lost interest in these as well. I have booked an open day to visit the University of Hull in October to find out more about their BSc Geology with Physical Geography course, but I already feel so apathetic towards it, I don't know what to do anymore!

The ONLY reason I am still looking into geology is because I was naturally good at it at A Level, and I found it fairly straightforward. And seeing as I have zero interest in any other subject, I figured I may as well study it as a degree, considering I did well in it at A Level. Does this sound logical, or am I making a big mistake? I honestly don't know what to do.

Hello,

Right then, from what you've explained the answer to your question is you are making the right decision, that's the straight forward answer. If you have an interest in it and you've done fairly well in it so far, then do it and see where it takes you.

However,

If it's something you aren't majorly passionate about I don't see you sticking the course out, you will lose the interest you have for it (maybe) and maybe come to a point where you drop it. Any course will put stress on somebody and if the anti-depressants work then you'll be fine, if you find you struggle with them and they don't work then I think you'll struggle, I know that's quite personal but I'm purely going off a friend of mine at university he has gone through first year with depression.

If you would like to talk about this more, please feel free to PM me.
If not, then I wish you all the best with your decision making and I'm sure you'll make the right one.
Reply 2

Hi

The good thing is that with your gap year, you do have a little bit of extra time to think things over.
What I think you should consider is that a lot of people aren't starting uni 100% sure about the subject they're studying. It is a pretty big decision after all. I'm starting to study anthropology this fall and I've doubted that decision and my interest in that subject, too.

Do you live close to a university offering a BA geology? Maybe you could ask them if you're allowed to listen to a few lectures to figure out if it's the right subject for you. That's probably a bit more realistic than an open door.
Don't let anyone pressure you into studying something you don't want to, ok?

I hope the anti-depressants will help you and I really hope you'll find a subject you feel at least a bit enthusiastic about!

Also, if you want to talk, send me a dm. :smile: I'll answer as quickly as I can.
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello,

Right then, from what you've explained the answer to your question is you are making the right decision, that's the straight forward answer. If you have an interest in it and you've done fairly well in it so far, then do it and see where it takes you.

However,

If it's something you aren't majorly passionate about I don't see you sticking the course out, you will lose the interest you have for it (maybe) and maybe come to a point where you drop it. Any course will put stress on somebody and if the anti-depressants work then you'll be fine, if you find you struggle with them and they don't work then I think you'll struggle, I know that's quite personal but I'm purely going off a friend of mine at university he has gone through first year with depression.

If you would like to talk about this more, please feel free to PM me.
If not, then I wish you all the best with your decision making and I'm sure you'll make the right one.

Thank you for your reply. I think what I'll do is go to the Hull open day and see what their course and campus are like, and if they're decent I'll apply there. If I get in, I'll go along and try the course, and if I really hate it I'll drop out and know that geology definitely isn't for me. It's just so difficult to know without going and trying it.

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by LouiseMM
Hi

The good thing is that with your gap year, you do have a little bit of extra time to think things over.
What I think you should consider is that a lot of people aren't starting uni 100% sure about the subject they're studying. It is a pretty big decision after all. I'm starting to study anthropology this fall and I've doubted that decision and my interest in that subject, too.

Do you live close to a university offering a BA geology? Maybe you could ask them if you're allowed to listen to a few lectures to figure out if it's the right subject for you. That's probably a bit more realistic than an open door.
Don't let anyone pressure you into studying something you don't want to, ok?

I hope the anti-depressants will help you and I really hope you'll find a subject you feel at least a bit enthusiastic about!

Also, if you want to talk, send me a dm. :smile: I'll answer as quickly as I can.

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately, the closest universities offering a geology degree are all a minimum of an hour and a half drive away. Choosing geology does seem like the best plan at the moment considering I have no interest/natural ability in anything else, and if it turns out that I go to Hull/wherever and I hate it, at least then I'll know that it isn't for me.

Thank you for your reply. I think what I'll do is go to the Hull open day and see what their course and campus are like, and if they're decent I'll apply there. If I get in, I'll go along and try the course, and if I really hate it I'll drop out and know that geology definitely isn't for me. It's just so difficult to know without going and trying it.

No problem, it's what I'm here for.
Yeah, I think that's a good idea. Just go test it out and see what you think. There is no harm in trying but it let you definitely know whether to take that path or not.

Good luck with it all! :smile:
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
No problem, it's what I'm here for.
Yeah, I think that's a good idea. Just go test it out and see what you think. There is no harm in trying but it let you definitely know whether to take that path or not.

Good luck with it all! :smile:

Thank you very much :smile:
you do know that you don't have to go to uni right away there are some carriers or jobs that are really quite fun (and well paid) you could try and apply for things like cabin crew or being a pilot if you can find a course right now. Or do you do any sports coaching can be very rewarding.

my point is you don't have to go to uni if you don't see anything your passionate about go to the open day but don't be pressured in to anything if you don't want to now the uni is always there and you have the grades now so you have the option later if you want.
My mate dropped out of Leicester doing geo because you just 'describe rocks all day '.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending