The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

I was wondering if I could seek some advice, maybe from people who have been in a similar experience.

Due to extenuating circumstances throughout pretty much my whole school career, which saw me go into care and that, I didn't achieve very well and didn't get any chemistry at A-level. I am finding that quite a lot of uni's are turning their nose up at me for it. However during my undergrad course I did significant amount of it for modules, such as pharmacology, which is fine for some uni's but not for others.

I know alot of the post grad courses don't really care that much about A-levels, but with my CAT score of 635 I can't really apply for them, so... in a bit of a predicament. My plan is to sit chemistry as an Alevel this year if im rejected everywhere, but for applying this year does anyone know of anything I can do or people to speak to regarding as to why I don't have chemistry and to demonstrate I have done it to A level standard during my course?

Thanks
Reply 1781
Feel like my whole life is on hold waiting for a decision to be made about my retest. So much anxiety 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any science grads including info about their dissertation in their personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clunkles
Any science grads including info about their dissertation in their personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mentioned my final year project briefly. Attempted to highlight the importance of science in medicine. Not sure if I should keep it in though..
Reply 1784

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking of putting mine in, mainly because it was a group project and ran using EEG/EOG/EMG. Include about reading and analysing the recordings giving insight into interpreting tests like ECG etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ummmm if I were you i wouldnt say much about it as it just emphisises on your scinece knowledge and you need to focus on your experiences more in my opinion :tongue:
Guys any idea what Newcastle are asking for grad entry...? like any specific voluntary or work experience..... I just finished biomedical sciences got 2:1 and ABB in a levels that includes chemistry, maths and physics and got 2A* 5As 1B 1C at GCSEs....and currently working for NHS as a Higher Healthcare technical officer and first aider with St Johns...dont know what else I can do like any recommendations people...?
Original post by saudkhan2508
Guys any idea what Newcastle are asking for grad entry...? like any specific voluntary or work experience..... I just finished biomedical sciences got 2:1 and ABB in a levels that includes chemistry, maths and physics and got 2A* 5As 1B 1C at GCSEs....and currently working for NHS as a Higher Healthcare technical officer and first aider with St Johns...dont know what else I can do like any recommendations people...?

Google is your friend

"This course is designed for graduates of any discipline, and for others who have relevant experience which includes a substantial amount of contact with patients gained as an established health care professional within the NHS or equivalent body (eg RGN, RMN, Physiotherapist) with a qualification recognised by a statutory body. Only candidates classed as 'home' students for fees purposes will be eligible to apply for this course.

Applicants must have achieved, or expect to achieve, at least an upper second class Honours degree, or integrated Master's degree, or be a practising health care professional with a post-registration qualification. All applicants will be expected to provide evidence of sustained academic endeavour within the last three years - eg A Level study, Open University, GAMSAT - prior to the start of the programme.

GCSEs, A Levels and Masters qualifications

Please note: A Level and GCSE results for graduate applicants will have no direct bearing on the decision to interview or offer a place. This also applies for Masters qualifications.

UKCAT

All applicants to the 4 year A101 Medicine programme at Newcastle University will be required to take the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT).

The UKCAT threshold may differ in each admissions cycle as it is dependent on the scores achieved by those applicants who apply to our Medical School in the current cycle. Therefore information on what the threshold is, is not available to prospective students. Please see the School of Medical Education web page for more information www.ncl.ac.uk/mbbs/admissions.

Candidates who are considered, on the basis of their application and UKCAT, to be particularly promising are interviewed. Some evidence of work experience in a healthcare or social care setting would be expected from applicants who do not have prior healthcare experience."

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a101/entryrequirements/
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mbbs/admissions/documents/MBBSAdmissionsPolicy2016.pdf
I'm currently in my 3rd year of my undergrad degree so will be a graduate when I apply. I was thinking about applying for maybe 3 GEM courses and one A100 undergrad course. I was wondering if anyone knows if regular undergrad courses take your A levels into account when applying? I don't have the minimum requirements but I will hopefully have my 2:1 in neuroscience by that point so hopefully that would fulfil them instead? I know of at least two students at my uni currently who are doing this but I haven't read anything about it online.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophmlg
I'm currently in my 3rd year of my undergrad degree so will be a graduate when I apply. I was thinking about applying for maybe 3 GEM courses and one A100 undergrad course. I was wondering if anyone knows if regular undergrad courses take your A levels into account when applying? I don't have the minimum requirements but I will hopefully have my 2:1 in neuroscience by that point so hopefully that would fulfil them instead? I know of at least two students at my uni currently who are doing this but I haven't read anything about it online.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the university. Some take your degree instead of A-levels but some still include A-levels for graduates. You have to look at the individual medical schools you want to apply to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What does Nottingham prefer /like ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KirstieW
It depends on the university. Some take your degree instead of A-levels but some still include A-levels for graduates. You have to look at the individual medical schools you want to apply to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thank you - at least there's some hope! I'm planning to sit chemistry if I don't get in with my first application to expand my options but ideally I never want to go near A levels again haha.
Too late to apply now? I can sort 2/3 weeks shadowing no problem but I see that working as an assistant in a medical setting is a necessity as well, which might be tough since you need a substantial amount and there's not much time left until the deadline.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hypnotized
Too late to apply now? I can sort 2/3 weeks shadowing no problem but I see that working as an assistant in a medical setting is a necessity as well, which might be tough since you need a substantial amount and there's not much time left until the deadline.

Go for it. 60 squids for ucas and 80 for ukcat. May change your life if you get in. If not, then that's some good rejection experience (in a serious way).
Original post by sophmlg

Posted from TSR Mobile

some will but honestly its more cost effective and better to put the money towards the GAMSAT and not do an A level in chemistry. the A level in chemistry only opens up a few places that still depend on UKCAT. When you could invest into the GAMSAT and it opens up many more universities
Original post by windnamer27
Go for it. 60 squids for ucas and 80 for ukcat. May change your life if you get in. If not, then that's some good rejection experience (in a serious way).

60 squids?

Original post by NellyMelly
What does Nottingham prefer /like ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Google.
Original post by lcsurfer
some will but honestly its more cost effective and better to put the money towards the GAMSAT and not do an A level in chemistry. the A level in chemistry only opens up a few places that still depend on UKCAT. When you could invest into the GAMSAT and it opens up many more universities

Hmm yeah, I was focusing on the UKCAT purely because it's less time consuming and I'll be applying when I'm going into my final year of university but I'd likely have the time over the summer for GAMSAT if I put my mind to it. I used to be good at essay writing so hopefully I can drag that bit of my brain back up! And like you say it would open up more universities like Swansea which I like the look of in particular.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebuwa
60 squids?

Squids == quid == pounds == GBP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by windnamer27

Pretty sure UCAS is only £23!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty sure UCAS is only £23!

Posted from TSR Mobile

sweeet bro

Quick Reply

Latest