The Student Room Group

can you replace a lost driving license ?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section (move if you need to)

I just got back from a festival where I lost my driving license, the only way I can replace it online is using a valid passport number (which I don't have)
so is there any way for me to be able to get a new license without a passport? Since a replacement license only takes 3 weeks and a passport takes 6-8 plus another 3 for my license. I move away to university in just over 3 weeks and I'd really like to have some ID for freshers week :frown:(
I'm able to prove my residency, I know my driving license number and my NI number, DOB etc all details on a valid passport it's just that it went out of date last week and I haven't been home to send it off for renewal
I'm 19 and had my license for 2 years if that makes any difference
Original post by SamuelSingleton
Sorry if this is in the wrong section (move if you need to)

I just got back from a festival where I lost my driving license, the only way I can replace it online is using a valid passport number (which I don't have)
so is there any way for me to be able to get a new license without a passport? Since a replacement license only takes 3 weeks and a passport takes 6-8 plus another 3 for my license. I move away to university in just over 3 weeks and I'd really like to have some ID for freshers week :frown:(
I'm able to prove my residency, I know my driving license number and my NI number, DOB etc all details on a valid passport it's just that it went out of date last week and I haven't been home to send it off for renewal
I'm 19 and had my license for 2 years if that makes any difference

I haven't heard of you needing a passport number to replace a drivers license?
https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-replace-a-driving-licence
Did you use that link above because that's the only link you'll need and should use.
Reply 2
No. You have to walk everywhere now.
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
I haven't heard of you needing a passport number to replace a drivers license?
https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-replace-a-driving-licence
Did you use that link above because that's the only link you'll need and should use.

yeah i used that link and you need a valid passport i think they use your passport photo for the replacement card
since mine went out of date a week ago it's no longer valid
yeah i used that link and you need a valid passport i think they use your passport photo for the replacement card

Are you sure there isn't another way of doing it? Let me check for you.
Because you don't need a passport to get a driving license so you shouldn't need one to get it replaced.

Yes, you don't need a passport to replace your driving license.
You can use one of these other forms of ID:
https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence

If you haven't got any of these then you'd gave to apply for at least one, and they may take a while to come so I don't see you having your ID for freshers.
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Yes, you don't need a passport to replace your driving license.
You can use one of these other forms of ID:
https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence

If you haven't got any of these then you'd gave to apply for at least one, and they may take a while to come so I don't see you having your ID for freshers.

Ahh thanks,
I'll try ringing up the DVLA tomorrow and see if they can do anything to help.. I definitely have my brith certificate, NI details, college cards etc so i'll go down that route if they cant.
I just need ID to register so I'm sure it'll be fine if my passports a couple weeks out of date, not that fussed about the clubbing side for a week or 2 :biggrin:
Reply 7
Get a new one.
Ahh thanks,
I'll try ringing up the DVLA tomorrow and see if they can do anything to help.. I definitely have my brith certificate, NI details, college cards etc so i'll go down that route if they cant.
I just need ID to register so I'm sure it'll be fine if my passports a couple weeks out of date, not that fussed about the clubbing side for a week or 2 :biggrin:

No problem, happy to help :smile:
Hope you get it all sorted out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending