Squids == quid == pounds == GBP

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCAS isn't £60
Original post by Ebuwa
UCAS isn't £60

I didn't say it was...!?
Reply 1802
Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of advice with my application. I'm currently a Microbiology student with a predicted 1st looking to apply for GEM Medicine. Here are my stats:

A level: AAB (Biology, History & Chemistry), A in AS Psychology and A* in Extended Project (which means FA haha)
GCSE: 6A*'s 4A's
UKCAT: 690 average with 740 in Verbal and 760 in Quantitative.
Work Experience: 1 week shadowing a pre-surgical unit and a 2 week General Medicine placement I did 2 years ago. I've also been a volunteer for a confidential helpline for 1 & a half years.

I know my UKCAT is low so am I right in thinking I should just apply to Southampton & Warwick for GEM? As average cut off for Kings/Newcastle is like 750+

Any help would be much appreciated x
Original post by xHJCx
Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of advice with my application. I'm currently a Microbiology student with a predicted 1st looking to apply for GEM Medicine. Here are my stats:

A level: AAB (Biology, History & Chemistry), A in AS Psychology and A* in Extended Project (which means FA haha)
Work Experience: 1 week shadowing a pre-surgical unit and a 2 week General Medicine placement I did 2 years ago. I've also been a volunteer for a confidential helpline for 1 & a half years.

I know my UKCAT is low so am I right in thinking I should just apply to Southampton & Warwick for GEM? As average cut off for Kings/Newcastle is like 750+

Yeah you might be alright for Southampton/Warwick but Kings/Newcastle are usually a bit higher. Have you looked at non-UKCAT unis such as bristol or cambridge? Are you sitting the GAMSAT?
Reply 1804
Original post by sampowell92
Yeah you might be alright for Southampton/Warwick but Kings/Newcastle are usually a bit higher. Have you looked at non-UKCAT unis such as bristol or cambridge? Are you sitting the GAMSAT?

At the moment I'm not considering taking the GAMSAT as I want to focus on getting a 1st. That said I have looked at Bristol but they require an A in A-level Chemistry and Cambridge want Physics or Maths as an AS-level......

So not looking good haha.....
Hello, could someone help me please

I am applying for graduate entry medicine and sat my UKCAT today;

I got a terrible score of
Verbal reasoining: 470
Quantative: 660
Abstract: 840
Decision Analysis: 630
Situational Judgement: Band 2
my average is therefore 650

Are there any universities that I can apply to with a score like this?

I was aiming for Kings and Queen Mary's

I am also very confused with the UKCAT, in the practise I was struggling with quantative but it became my second highest and verbal reasoning I was scoring better at. Even when doing the exam, though I ran out of time, I thought I did relatively well, well enough to be scoring 600 at least, so you can imagine my surprise that I achieved only a 470. So is anyone aware of how things can turn so badly in the exam?
Original post by bhartigupta420
Hello, could someone help me please

I am applying for graduate entry medicine and sat my UKCAT today;

I got a terrible score of
Verbal reasoining: 470
Quantative: 660
Abstract: 840
Decision Analysis: 630
Situational Judgement: Band 2
my average is therefore 650

Are there any universities that I can apply to with a score like this?

I was aiming for Kings and Queen Mary's

I am also very confused with the UKCAT, in the practise I was struggling with quantative but it became my second highest and verbal reasoning I was scoring better at. Even when doing the exam, though I ran out of time, I thought I did relatively well, well enough to be scoring 600 at least, so you can imagine my surprise that I achieved only a 470. So is anyone aware of how things can turn so badly in the exam?

Hi there. I'm sorry about your UKCAT score, it probably won't be high enough for Kings. I believe Barts have a new ranking system this year, so if you have postgraduate qualifications (PhD, Masters etc) it could maybe make up for your UKCAT.

I'm not sure what to suggest really, Warwick usually has the lowest UKCAT cutoff score for GEM, however they ranked by VR last year, and with your VR score I doubt applying there would be a good idea. Have you looked at any 5 year courses? They tend to have lower cutoff scores, though you can't get a student finance loan for them so you'd have to find the tuition fees yourself.
Can you sit the gamsat and don't apply for that years' cycle instead apply for the next cycle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NellyMelly
Can you sit the gamsat and don't apply for that years' cycle instead apply for the next cycle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, it's valid for 2 years.
Original post by liam__
Yep, it's valid for 2 years.

Coolio,thanks:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liam__
I didn't say it was...!?

Original post by windnamer27
Go for it. 60 squids for ucas and 80 for ukcat. May change your life if you get in. If not, then that's some good rejection experience (in a serious way).

I'm confused so what does that mean?
Original post by Ebuwa
I'm confused so what does that mean?

Windnamer27 said it was £60, not me. You even quoted him in your post. For clarity's sake, UCAS costs £23, not £60. Hope that clears this up.
Original post by liam__
Windnamer27 said it was £60, not me. You even quoted him in your post. For clarity's sake, UCAS costs £23, not £60. Hope that clears this up.

Apologies, I was looking at your 'squid' explanation post.
Original post by Ebuwa
Apologies, I was looking at your 'squid' explanation post.

My bad
Hi! I did my UKCAT today and scored 740 average (2960). I was planning to apply to Barts, Kings, Newcastle and Edinburgh (5yr).

I'm really pleased with my score but I'm a little worried that it's a bit too close to the thresholds for Barts, Kings and Newcastle. Although I know the scores went down for 2015 entry, for 2014 entry my scores would have been below the minimum for Barts and Newcastle and I'm slightly worried that the averages could go up again and leave me just outside the interview cutoff. I think if I scored over 750 I would be a lot more confident but oh well! Is it wise to apply to 3 high-UKCAT universities or should I balance it with one or two others? Or should I just go for it?
Original post by xHJCx
Hey guys,

Woah. A 740 in verbal is commendable! What techniques did you use, if you don't mind me asking? Verbal is my weakest section. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bucko
Hi! I did my UKCAT today and scored 740 average (2960). I was planning to apply to Barts, Kings, Newcastle and Edinburgh (5yr).

I'm really pleased with my score but I'm a little worried that it's a bit too close to the thresholds for Barts, Kings and Newcastle. Although I know the scores went down for 2015 entry, for 2014 entry my scores would have been below the minimum for Barts and Newcastle and I'm slightly worried that the averages could go up again and leave me just outside the interview cutoff. I think if I scored over 750 I would be a lot more confident but oh well! Is it wise to apply to 3 high-UKCAT universities or should I balance it with one or two others? Or should I just go for it?

Congrats! 740 is a great score. Honestly, I'm pretty sure you'll make any cutoff with that score. Deciles are released 9th October, so you can confirm the score hasn't massively fluctuated before you apply anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know whether any GEPs take your SJT score on UKCAT into account?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wciselko
southampton and newcastle do not.

Nor does Warwick

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think any of them do, do they?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending