The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2016 Entry AS Grades Query HELP

At AS level ive only got BBBB but really want to apply for dentistry any advice, I know I can turn the grades around next year!?

Scroll to see replies

Study really hard this year and do any AS resits if you want to boost your grade up, so you can achieve the best possible A2 grades you can. Then next year take a gap year and apply with your with your achieved A2 grades. You can also do some more work experience or volunteering during your gap year. Good Luck :smile:
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Study really hard this year and do any AS resits if you want to boost your grade up, so you can achieve the best possible A2 grades you can. Then next year take a gap year and apply with your with your achieved A2 grades. You can also do some more work experience or volunteering during your gap year. Good Luck :smile:

Im now moving into year 13 in September, cant I get into dentistry with my overall A Level results I get in 2016 ie I retake my AS (just a few marks off A's)? Whats the need of the gap year?
Original post by Sniperdon227
Im now moving into year 13 in September, cant I get into dentistry with my overall A Level results I get in 2016 ie I retake my AS (just a few marks off A's)? Whats the need of the gap year?

So you want to apply for Dentistry next year with your achieved A2 grades?
Original post by DeadEnd_96
So you want to apply for Dentistry next year with your achieved A2 grades?

As in submit UCAS this year for next year entry
As in submit UCAS this year for next year entry

If you have everything else sorted out then you can apply this year if you want with AS grades and A2 predicted grades. If it doesn't work out this year then apply again next year with achieved A2 grades. Good Luck! :smile:
Is there even any point of applying with BBBB with the competition dentistry provides and im finding the ukcat difficult but with a struggle i might get an average mark.
Reply 7
Hi I got Biology A, maths A, physics B and chem C in my AS levels.
ive dropped physics and my school are predicting me AAB (the B is in chem). I am going to do two weeks of work experience this month.
do you think i can still apply to unis to do dentistry.
are there any particular unis that could offer me an interview.

if there isnt a chance then i might just wait until after A2 to apply

thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ladarama
Hi I got Biology A, maths A, physics B and chem C in my AS levels.
ive dropped physics and my school are predicting me AAB (the B is in chem). I am going to do two weeks of work experience this month.
do you think i can still apply to unis to do dentistry.
are there any particular unis that could offer me an interview.

if there isnt a chance then i might just wait until after A2 to apply

thanks

Well at the moment that C in chem is holding you back and might seem unrealistic to unis of you getting an A, bearing in mind you still need to do the ukcat, so im unsure on your behalf!
I got bccd but hopefully I'll be able to get all a predictions and I'll be applying this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Well at the moment that C in chem is holding you back and might seem unrealistic to unis of you getting an A, bearing in mind you still need to do the ukcat, so im unsure on your behalf!

i think I can bring that C up to an A as I am going to resit
One paper brought my grade down
coulve got a b
Original post by ladarama
i think I can bring that C up to an A as I am going to resit
One paper brought my grade down
coulve got a b

I went to a dentistry lecture and they said they take into account resitters as they like their straight A students. This is why im put off
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
I got bccd but hopefully I'll be able to get all a predictions and I'll be applying this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im unsure about you being predicted all As unless you can justify those grades. What did you get in the ukcat aswell?
Im unsure about you being predicted all As unless you can justify those grades. What did you get in the ukcat aswell?

Haven't done it yet but I know I need to get at least 750+ and if I say I had a divorce in my family and a parent got chronic kidney disease that they would understand why

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haven't done it yet but I know I need to get at least 750+ and if I say I had a divorce in my family and a parent got chronic kidney disease that they would understand why

Posted from TSR Mobile

750 is extremely respectable!!! and they should be understanding of that, in circumstances like that you can ask the school if you can retake year 12 if you want to start fresh.
750 is extremely respectable!!! and they should be understanding of that, in circumstances like that you can ask the school if you can retake year 12 if you want to start fresh.

I honestly don't want to resist again feel like units won't look at me and I really want to do dentistry next year
And how do I tell my teachers that's what happend and get them to write it on the reason for my grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I honestly don't want to resist again feel like units won't look at me and I really want to do dentistry next year
And how do I tell my teachers that's what happend and get them to write it on the reason for my grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

There has been people at my school who have resat year 12, i guess you have to confide in your teachers. But nor can you explain it on ucas so it may seem strange to a university seeing grades change so dramatically.
There has been people at my school who have resat year 12, i guess you have to confide in your teachers. But nor can you explain it on ucas so it may seem strange to a university seeing grades change so dramatically.

Ahh but I guess if my teacher is writing my reference would anything be said about it in there and thanks for replying I

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to a dentistry lecture and they said they take into account resitters as they like their straight A students. This is why im put off

Which university does this apply to? And if you take a gap year and apply with the full A2 results, then how do universities know that you re-sat any AS exams? I thought they didn't mind as long as A levels were completed over 2 years and not 3?
Original post by smiley180
Which university does this apply to? And if you take a gap year and apply with the full A2 results, then how do universities know that you re-sat any AS exams? I thought they didn't mind as long as A levels were completed over 2 years and not 3?

Birmingham

Quick Reply

Latest