The Student Room Group

English Literature help

Writing an essay on an extract we've been given and it says to discuss language, form and structure. We've been given the definition of form as: In a novel - which elements fit that text into a genre(s)? e.g What conventions of the gothic identify ‘The Bloody Chamber’ as a gothic novel?

So firstly i'd thought it would be the language that would make a novel fit into a certain genre but if i write about language when discussing form, do I then combine this when discussing language.

Also, what elements of a science fiction novel make it that genre? I'm starting A level English Literature this week and i'd like to clear this up before then. Thank you!
Original post by MorganAmber
Writing an essay on an extract we've been given and it says to discuss language, form and structure. We've been given the definition of form as: In a novel - which elements fit that text into a genre(s)? e.g What conventions of the gothic identify ‘The Bloody Chamber’ as a gothic novel?So firstly i'd thought it would be the language that would make a novel fit into a certain genre but if i write about language when discussing form, do I then combine this when discussing language.Also, what elements of a science fiction novel make it that genre? I'm starting A level English Literature this week and i'd like to clear this up before then. Thank you!
Hey, I'm doing The Bloody Chamber as a Gothic text at A2. What makes a text Gothic or not is the elements it includes, although language does play a big part. I don't know which part of The Bloody Chamber you're writing about, but elements of the Gothic include supernatural, horror, terror, satanic figures, passive female characters, violence, sex, heroes, villains, forbidden knowledge, revenge, class, setting and even more (!). Language is particularly important in horror/terror (the difference being that horror is more graphic whereas terror is more psychological).

If you tell me which passage you have I might be able to help a bit more if you want :smile:

(Sorry I can't really help with sci-fi)
Reply 2
Original post by catrinakemp21
Hey, I'm doing The Bloody Chamber as a Gothic text at A2. What makes a text Gothic or not is the elements it includes, although language does play a big part. I don't know which part of The Bloody Chamber you're writing about, but elements of the Gothic include supernatural, horror, terror, satanic figures, passive female characters, violence, sex, heroes, villains, forbidden knowledge, revenge, class, setting and even more (!). Language is particularly important in horror/terror (the difference being that horror is more graphic whereas terror is more psychological).

If you tell me which passage you have I might be able to help a bit more if you want :smile:

(Sorry I can't really help with sci-fi)

We aren't actually doing The Bloody Chamber, it was given as an example, i'm doing an extract from the body snatchers and i'm really stuck for elements that make it science fiction. Thank you though, i think i'll be able to apply some of your advice to my passage :smile:
Oops, sorry my mistake! Anyway, hopefully you can sort of get the idea. I just looked and elements of sci fi seem to be science (obviously) and it's impact, speculation, setting, heroes, villains, quests and futuristic stuff like technology.

http://classroom.synonym.com/three-elements-science-fiction-literature-2241.html

http://thescriptlab.com/screenplay/genre/science-fiction#

Quick Reply

Latest