The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Let's talk! Ask a current student anything about the University of Birmingham :)

Scroll to see replies

Hi Eleanor :smile:

When do you get allocated a Username and Password for the intranet service? :smile:

Thanks,

Samuel
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Hi, Eleanor!

I will apply next year for the Computer Science Bsc with year in industry course. How do current students feel about this course? Also, what are the professors and the lectures like, not necessarily in Computer Science? Is there much communication between students and their teachers? I read on the website that we will be assigned a tutor in our first year, how does that work? And lastly, could you tell me what the year in industry is like, what it involves exactly and how does the tuition loan apply to it?

I am sorry I asked so many question simultaniously, but I can't wait for you to reply. Thank you in advance!
Original post by Samuel_Murray
Hi Eleanor :smile:

When do you get allocated a Username and Password for the intranet service? :smile:

Thanks,

Samuel

Hello Samuel, as far as I am aware when you get your unconditional offer from Birmingham you will be given a welcome pack which will give you instructions on how to register for the university and you should also get your details for the intranet service too. I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask me :smile: Eleanor :biggrin:
Original post by Eleanor_94
Hello Samuel, as far as I am aware when you get your unconditional offer from Birmingham you will be given a welcome pack which will give you instructions on how to register for the university and you should also get your details for the intranet service too. I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask me :smile: Eleanor :biggrin:

Hi! I already have an unconditional offer but I haven't received yet any welcome pack email and it's been a few weeks. Should I wait until A Level results day or something like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello Alexandra, so happy to hear you'll be applying to Birmingham next year! I'm really sorry I don't have the answers to your questions specific to computer science as I study Psychology. However, all the lecturers at Birmingham are at the top of their field, mostly Oxbridge graduates who are incredibly passionate about teaching and inspiring their students. Lecturers will usually stay behind after they've presented so that students can ask them questions and they tend to have a weekly drop in session so you can go see them if you have any issues. You will also have an academic tutor and a personal tutor who will be able to assist you academically and also on a personal level, for example they would deal with extenuating circumstances. For the questions on computer science specifically and also the year in industry, there should be a feed like this one specifically for computer science where you can talk to current students who will have more knowledge on it than I do. I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact me :smile: Eleanor :biggrin:
Original post by Alexandra46
Hi, Eleanor!

I will apply next year for the Computer Science Bsc with year in industry course. How do current students feel about this course? Also, what are the professors and the lectures like, not necessarily in Computer Science? Is there much communication between students and their teachers? I read on the website that we will be assigned a tutor in our first year, how does that work? And lastly, could you tell me what the year in industry is like, what it involves exactly and how does the tuition loan apply to it?

I am sorry I asked so many question simultaniously, but I can't wait for you to reply. Thank you in advance!
Original post by angelamartinc235
Hi! I already have an unconditional offer but I haven't received yet any welcome pack email and it's been a few weeks. Should I wait until A Level results day or something like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello Angelmartin, yes you should receive welcome pack after A levels results day Eleanor
Hi,

Is there a way to view the course modules on the website? The course info pages don't really explain what you do at all, and seems a bit vague :s
Original post by kkboyk
Hi,

Is there a way to view the course modules on the website? The course info pages don't really explain what you do at all, and seems a bit vague :s

Hello, can I ask which course you're referring to? Eleanor :smile:
Hello, can I ask which course you're referring to? Eleanor :smile:

Mathematics, and also Computer Science :tongue:
Hello Angelmartin, yes you should receive welcome pack after A levels results day Eleanor

I'm sorry I wasn't clear...I have an unconditional offer because I already met my offer with the IB. Should I wait until that day anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Championt1
Hello Eleanor,
I'm hoping to brush up my French language skills at uni.So I would just like to know how the language courses for non-language students are at Bham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there!

I'm also a third year at UoB, studying history. Many courses offer what's called an MOMD (Module outside main discipline) which means you can pick 10 or 20 credits from other departments alongside your degree. Many students use their MOMD choice to brush up on one of the 8 languages offered (including French). Equally you can take a languages for all course (which I myself am starting in September) which is a similar concept but just doesn't count towards your degree.

Hope that helps!
Tom
Original post by JessLucyJayne
Are you allowed friends or guests to stay in your room at Birmingham, if not then which halls? Thanks! x

Hi there!

Official rules say one person up to two nights a month, but in reality the staff do not mind at all as long as your flat are happy to host that person as a guest (this info s from talking to staff). This is the same for all UoB halls
Is Birmingham good as a city to live and study in? Are the people there different to people in other cities?
Original post by yeahmerica
Is Birmingham good as a city to live and study in? Are the people there different to people in other cities?

Hi!

I'm a third year at UoB and I absolutely love studying, living and working here. In fact I haven't been home for more than a day since I started uni!

Every city has it's own individual character I suppose, Birmingham's is probably one of huge cultural diversity but really the people here are no different to other people!
Original post by angelamartinc235
I'm sorry I wasn't clear...I have an unconditional offer because I already met my offer with the IB. Should I wait until that day anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! (I'm a friend of Eleanor's, third year UoB also)The uni sends out all it's welcome packs together for all students, which means everyone will get theirs after A-Level results day. If you haven't had any info in 2 or 3 weeks then contact the uni
Reply 115
Hi I have received an offer for chamberlain accommodation, and will be studying llb this sept. Is there any shuttle bus (or other transport) going form my accommodation to the law building? or I need to walk... it seems quite far...
Original post by Kamii
Hi I have received an offer for chamberlain accommodation, and will be studying llb this sept. Is there any shuttle bus (or other transport) going form my accommodation to the law building? or I need to walk... it seems quite far...

Hello Kammii, there is no shuttle service running from the vale to campus. The walk really isn't very far, about 20 minutes from chamberlain to the law building I would say. It's a great way to wake you up in the morning and there will be hundreds of students walking the same way so it's a really good way to make friends too :biggrin: I lived on the Vale in my first year and the walk really isn't a problem at all :smile: hope this helps. Eleanor :smile:
Hello :smile: Weird question but bear with me. What are the insides of the wardrobes like? Is it all hanging space? I'm trying to figure out how many coat hangers to take.
Original post by HuggleyDuck
Hello :smile: Weird question but bear with me. What are the insides of the wardrobes like? Is it all hanging space? I'm trying to figure out how many coat hangers to take.

Hello, I think it may vary with accomodation. If I were you I would just take extra. I never had enough which was annoying! Which accomodation will you be living in? Eleanor :smile:
Hello everyone,

I am a third year Psychology student at the University of Birmingham and I am here to answer all your questions about Birmingham! If you have questions about Accommodation, Student Life, Courses, Entry Requirements, basically anything to do with the Birmingham, I'm here to help! :biggrin: I will do my best to answer all your questions/concerns and if I don't know the answer I will enquire about it for you :smile:

ASK AWAY! :biggrin:

Eleanor

Hello,
I will definitely choose Birmingham for psychology in one of my options when applying. Can you give a detailed overview of what the modules involve/ specific topics and is it mainly coursework or exam based? Also, do psychology courses differ greatly between different universities as I'm thinking of Nottingham also and I heard as long as it is BPS accredited the modules are similar and only the optional ones differ so is this true?

I will attend the open day in a few weeks so will get to check everything out :biggrin:. Thank you.

Quick Reply