The Student Room Group

BTEC level 3 applied (medical) science

Hi guys, I was just wondering after having tried AS levels and getting pulled out by my psychiatrist for medical reasons, which do you think is harder to keep on top of work loads, BTEC or AS Levels? Also, how hard is it to attain distinctions in every unit for BTEC applied science? What stationary do you suggest as a must to complete the first year? And just any other experiences/information on BTEC applied science/ BTECS in general as I have never done a BTEC before. Thanks!!! x
Reply 1
Original post by becky1029
Hi guys, I was just wondering after having tried AS levels and getting pulled out by my psychiatrist for medical reasons, which do you think is harder to keep on top of work loads, BTEC or AS Levels? Also, how hard is it to attain distinctions in every unit for BTEC applied science? What stationary do you suggest as a must to complete the first year? And just any other experiences/information on BTEC applied science/ BTECS in general as I have never done a BTEC before. Thanks!!! x

Ok, you need a pen, pencil, ruler and possibly a protractor. you also need a folder to keep all of your work in and a book for taking notes. The work load is huge be prepared for that. It is also multi disciplinary as well, so you will cover things from microbiology to rules and regulations in a science laboratory. the intensity of the work fluctuates, so some units will be harder than others. This course is good for progression into degrees such as nursing, paramedical sciences, biomedical science, dental technology, forensics and the list goes on. you will benefit from the course, a lot and will probably enjoy. Just be prepared for a huge work load, because it is massive.
Reply 2
Original post by tailred
Ok, you need a pen, pencil, ruler and possibly a protractor. you also need a folder to keep all of your work in and a book for taking notes. The work load is huge be prepared for that. It is also multi disciplinary as well, so you will cover things from microbiology to rules and regulations in a science laboratory. the intensity of the work fluctuates, so some units will be harder than others. This course is good for progression into degrees such as nursing, paramedical sciences, biomedical science, dental technology, forensics and the list goes on. you will benefit from the course, a lot and will probably enjoy. Just be prepared for a huge work load, because it is massive.

Thanks, I'm just so nervous if I can't cope again so I'm just trying to get as much info as I can, that has really helped !
Reply 3

BTECs should theoretically be easier to keep track in due to how in exam orientated subjects the student would be aiming to learn as much as possible, whereas BTEC students only need to do as much as they want in accordance to whether they want a Pass, Merit, or Distinction. This means that you can choose what to aim for much more easily than as compared to exam subjects.

Distinction difficulty: Actual difficulty varies between units; some will be ridiculously easy whilst others will be harder.

As for equipment: the usual contents of a pencil case and some paper should be enough. Your college/sixth form should be able to provide most of it anyway.
Reply 4
Thanks, I'm just so nervous if I can't cope again so I'm just trying to get as much info as I can, that has really helped !

You will be able to cope, you just need to try. If you need any more questions answered about it, just ask.
Reply 5
Original post by Davalla
BTECs should theoretically be easier to keep track in due to how in exam orientated subjects the student would be aiming to learn as much as possible, whereas BTEC students only need to do as much as they want in accordance to whether they want a Pass, Merit, or Distinction. This means that you can choose what to aim for much more easily than as compared to exam subjects.

Distinction difficulty: Actual difficulty varies between units; some will be ridiculously easy whilst others will be harder.

As for equipment: the usual contents of a pencil case and some paper should be enough. Your college/sixth form should be able to provide most of it anyway.

Thanks, are Btecs less pressure than A levels? Like from teachers and stuff?
Reply 6
Thanks, are Btecs less pressure than A levels? Like from teachers and stuff?

I'd say definitely. In an A Level students may be pressured by the teacher and themselves to memorize everything for the exams unless they want to fail. There's also the pressure of anxiety because they wouldn't know what grade they'd get until they get it.

BTEC work is more evenly spread rather than just focusing heavily on the end of the year. You'd also have the support of the teachers whilst you're being given the assignments too, and they may allow you to re-submit units, etc. How much you do depends on if you're aiming for a Distinction/D*. Getting a Pass could be ridiculously easy seeing as most of the pass criteria is Level 2 content, so you should be guaranteed at least a Pass grade- whereas in exam subjects, grades can't really be guaranteed as easily.
Reply 7
i am retaking my first year at college, i previously did as levels in maths physics biology and accounting however i didn't do too well and now have moved colleges and doing applied medical science btec and a level physics. I want to get into radiography so im not sure if i should retake as level biology as a private candidate. Has anyone done btec applied science ? how many hours a week did you spend on your coursework?
I'm in a similar situation to you; though I'm taking Level 3 Creative Media and not applied science. I got diagnosed with cancer about a month before my AS exams in the summer and it's safe to say I didn't do as well as I wanted. I was planning on doing a similar thing to you, carry on my English at A2 as I still got a decent grade for that, and do Media and History at AS... History being one of the new linear subjects. I switched to the BTEC because, while I've been "cured" as such I still have to have check ups which can take up time usually spent in college. Obviously I'll still be missing out on stuff being taught, which is never ideal, it is a little bit better. Like my teacher said; if you DO have to take time off at least with the BTEC; you'll be studying the same thing for that week at college, whereas with Alevels you'll have three seperate things you need to catch up on.
Reply 9
Original post by johannarebecca7
I'm in a similar situation to you; though I'm taking Level 3 Creative Media and not applied science. I got diagnosed with cancer about a month before my AS exams in the summer and it's safe to say I didn't do as well as I wanted. I was planning on doing a similar thing to you, carry on my English at A2 as I still got a decent grade for that, and do Media and History at AS... History being one of the new linear subjects. I switched to the BTEC because, while I've been "cured" as such I still have to have check ups which can take up time usually spent in college. Obviously I'll still be missing out on stuff being taught, which is never ideal, it is a little bit better. Like my teacher said; if you DO have to take time off at least with the BTEC; you'll be studying the same thing for that week at college, whereas with Alevels you'll have three seperate things you need to catch up on.

awwwww bless you! i got 4ds and i could not get into radiography with that and listen so now i'm doing a level physics and applied science. you will be fine and unis will understand your situation so you should be fine!
Original post by kaplu
awwwww bless you! i got 4ds and i could not get into radiography with that and listen so now i'm doing a level physics and applied science. you will be fine and unis will understand your situation so you should be fine!

Thank you! I kind of wanted to carry on my English Literature A2 along with the Media Diploma still... how did you go about being able to take Alevel Physics with BTEC Applied Science?
Reply 11
Original post by johannarebecca7
Thank you! I kind of wanted to carry on my English Literature A2 along with the Media Diploma still... how did you go about being able to take Alevel Physics with BTEC Applied Science?[/QUOT
well the enrolment lady told me you can get into radiography with course and i passed a level physics first time around so i decided to do this !
Reply 12
Original post by tailred

***Calculator***

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending