The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was ill the day of my General Studies paper that was worth 70% of the grade, and so got a U (which I wasn't too bothered by because hey its general studies), but I just found out you have to report all grades to UCAS. Are Oxford gonna care that I got a U in such an unimportant subject and if so (where) do i mention the circumstance of being ill?
Original post by googolplexity
I was ill the day of my General Studies paper that was worth 70% of the grade, and so got a U (which I wasn't too bothered by because hey its general studies), but I just found out you have to report all grades to UCAS. Are Oxford gonna care that I got a U in such an unimportant subject and if so (where) do i mention the circumstance of being ill?

Does your school certificate all AS grades?
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
x

Hi there, could you possibly tell me the admission statistics for chemistry at Brasenose for the most recent application season. How many applied, and how many got accepted? Also, is it possible to know the GCSE and/or AS grades of these successful applicants? I just looked at the Oxford website and it's made me nervous that Brasenose has the lowest overall acceptance rate over the previous 3 years. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azzer11
Hi there, could you possibly tell me the admission statistics for chemistry at Brasenose for the most recent application season. How many applied, and how many got accepted? Also, is it possible to know the GCSE and/or AS grades of these successful applicants? I just looked at the Oxford website and it's made me nervous that Brasenose has the lowest overall acceptance rate over the previous 3 years. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year we received 33 applications for Chemistry and 13 candidates received offers (a success rate of 39%).We don't have access to the AS grades on our database. The range of A* at GCSE for offer holders, conditional on taking GCSEs, was 5 to 11, with a median of 9 A*s.
Original post by Sheldor
Hi,
I sent you a PM but I'm not sure if you saw it. Basically, I got 3A's and then a D in my AS History, and I was wondering if (honestly) this would exclude me from having a chance in an application for Law? (It was very out of the blue- an A in one exam and a U in the other).

Additionally, if I chose to take History at A2 and retake the exam I got a U in, would an A or A* prediction for me be taken seriously?

Check your PMs.
Last year we received 33 applications for Chemistry and 13 candidates received offers (a success rate of 39%).We don't have access to the AS grades on our database. The range of A* at GCSE for offer holders, conditional on taking GCSEs, was 5 to 11, with a median of 9 A*s.

Would you please be so kind as to share the same data for PPE?
Original post by adynaton
Would you please be so kind as to share the same data for PPE?

The offer rate for direct applicants to read PPE was 1 in 5 and the A* GCSE range for candidates gaining an offer was 5 to 12, with a median of 9 A* (conditional on taking GCSEs).
The offer rate for direct applicants to read PPE was 1 in 5 and the A* GCSE range for candidates gaining an offer was 5 to 12, with a median of 9 A* (conditional on taking GCSEs).

Thank you. Is it possible to know in terms of number how many applications Brasenose has received last year for PPE, please?
Reply 1928

May I request standardized test profiles of PPE applicants who were shortlisted for interview(if not possible, who received an offer) with AP and SAT scores. Thank you.
Original post by ylmdk
May I request standardized test profiles of PPE applicants who were shortlisted for interview(if not possible, who received an offer) with AP and SAT scores. Thank you.

We don't have this information - sorry.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ylmdk

There were 91 applicants and 18 received offers (an acceptance rate of 20%). Across the University as a whole, the acceptance rate for PPE was 15%
http://public.tableau.com/views/UoO_UG_Admissons/Courses?%3AshowVizHome=no#2
Original post by ylmdk
I'm an non EU international, and I'll apply Oxford PPE for 2016 entry. I meet minimum qualifications with 4 SAT subject tests above 700 and 2 Advanced Placement Tests with scores of 5. I get consistently above 75 in TSA practice tests. However my school is a highly competitive school of my country, and because of its international status, we're required to learn both French and Turkish high school curriculums. I devoted much of my time to my schools' courses. But it doesn't offer AP courses or subject tests and related courses are either nonexistent(like comparative government) or given in last year(like Calculus), so I had to study those standardized tests on my own, and got low scores in some of them. I have a 3 in Calculus BC(with a subscore of 5 for Calculus AB) but I also have a 770 in SAT Maths 2 subject test. My school will send a letter about my circumstances which I explained above. I also have 4s in 2 other AP tests, but I'll retake all these tests this year with predicted grades of 5. Do low scores hurt application despite meeting minimum requirements? If they do, would Oxford consider my extenuating circumstances?

It sounds as though you are saying that you meet the required standard offer for PPE in a combination of SATs and APs in appropriate subjects. That being the case, were you to receive an offer we think it would be an Unconditional Offer.

You will need to declare all of your results in SATs and APs with the date taken. We understand your question to be 'should I be anxious about my other lower APs?'. If your school supplies the context (which should be in the UCAS reference rather than a separate letter) and you succeed in scoring anything close to the 75 TSA result obtained in practice, we do not think these results will wreck your chances given what you have said.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by googolplexity

Most universities (including Oxford) exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking from their offers because they don't consider it to be of equivalent importance to a "normal" A Level. So no, Oxford probably isn't going to care about it, assuming your other grades are fine.
Original post by Plagioclase
Most universities (including Oxford) exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking from their offers because they don't consider it to be of equivalent importance to a "normal" A Level. So no, Oxford probably isn't going to care about it, assuming your other grades are fine.

Conditional Offers exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking. We advise that your school (briefly) notes your illness during the GS exam in the UCAS reference. A selector would probably infer that was the case.
Original post by Eux
Does your school certificate all AS grades?

Uhhh isn't it exam boards that certificate grades and not the test centres?
Conditional Offers exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking. We advise that your school (briefly) notes your illness during the GS exam in the UCAS reference. A selector would probably infer that was the case.

Okay thank you:-)
What made you choose Oriel? I've been looking at the same course there :smile:
Applying for maths and struggling with a personal statement, any tips? I have A* (A level maths) AAA (AS chemistry, biology, history)
Fair enough! :biggrin:

How are you finding the balance between History and Politics in your PS?
Hey everyone
My predicted grades won't come out until December or something and when I asked the principal and my teachers today if they can predict me my grades a bit earlier, they refused to do so, saying that it's 'impossible'.
What do I do now? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending