The Student Room Group

how do you pass A level sociology?

i have done sociology AS and i recieved a U, it is ne f the hardest subjects ive ever done and i dont know why im finding it so difficult, i really think its the book im using, can someone suggest some good books for sociology AS and A2 please and how to revise and some good websites, i really would like atleast a C.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the cpg study guide is really good for the basic information - i used this and then padded it out with information from my notes

to revise i created a bunch of mindmaps laying out the studies/topics/researchers names

if you work to get the essay structure down (use PEELE or PERVERT depending on the question) its not too difficult to write an alright essay not knowing 100% the content - learn as many studies )if you forget the name just put some sociologists found... or something like that) also its really easy to put in more modern examples - things youve seen on the news or online and examiners really like that!!

try spreading out your revision throughout the year (especially for you AS resit, i did 2 hours a week for my resit)

(i got an A* at A2 and 98% in my AS)
(edited 8 years ago)
you need to master how to write a 24 mark question.

intro
basically rewrite the title

p1
sociologist-key point
arguments against or support first point (+sociologists name if necessary)

p2/p3/p4
same as p1

conclusion
dont add anything new just sum up what youve wrote, something like "over the past 50 years the position of children has changed as we can see from _________ and ________.

to remember the information first you need to know it and then you write the sociologists name and key points. a key point is something like a trigger word that enables you to expand on.

education is a whole other story. application is where a lot of people trip up. you should write essays and give them to your teacher to mark and grt back feedback.

i got an A in both units.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am really struggling with sociology at the minute. I don't know what to revise, I'm doing my AS and there is so much, I have mocks in 3 weeks and I don't know what to do. I've revised the theories on the family but that's it. I need help
Original post by chickenfoot
you need to master how to write a 24 mark question.

intro
basically rewrite the title

p1
sociologist-key point
arguments against or support first point (+sociologists name if necessary)

p2/p3/p4
same as p1

conclusion
dont add anything new just sum up what youve wrote, something like "over the past 50 years the position of children has changed as we can see from _________ and ________.

to remember the information first you need to know it and then you write the sociologists name and key points. a key point is something like a trigger word that enables you to expand on.

education is a whole other story. application is where a lot of people trip up. you should write essays and give them to your teacher to mark and grt back feedback.

i got an A in both units.

When did you start revising for the real thing?
Original post by pomma
i have done sociology AS and i recieved a U, it is ne f the hardest subjects ive ever done and i dont know why im finding it so difficult, i really think its the book im using, can someone suggest some good books for sociology AS and A2 please and how to revise and some good websites, i really would like atleast a C.

You pass by working bloody hard
Original post by marluigi97
When did you start revising for the real thing?

A few days before.

I found most of the content interesting and relatable so I was doing well all year tbh.

I had essay plans for all topics.
A few days before.

I found most of the content interesting and relatable so I was doing well all year tbh.

I've been doing well so far, in my first term I was working at an A and then in my second term we had a mini mock in which I got a B, which I was happy with considering I did little revision. But I'm worried as I have only revised theories on the family and some of family diversity, and the mock is at the end of February, The book I have been given is like over 100 pages long, do you have any advice on what I can do to fit it all in? Considering I have mocks for other subjects too, my teacher wants me to get an A but I'd take a B any day.
Original post by marluigi97
I've been doing well so far, in my first term I was working at an A and then in my second term we had a mini mock in which I got a B, which I was happy with considering I did little revision. But I'm worried as I have only revised theories on the family and some of family diversity, and the mock is at the end of February, The book I have been given is like over 100 pages long, do you have any advice on what I can do to fit it all in? Considering I have mocks for other subjects too, my teacher wants me to get an A but I'd take a B any day.

Umm, highlight sociologists names and key words of what they've said. I don't really know.

I'm having problems with unit3, I don't know anything, I find the content boring, so I'm struggling. Just trying to break elements down.
Reply 9
A few days before.

Is it possible if you can share the essay plans for all your AS topics if you still have them, please?
Original post by Maaaav
Is it possible if you can share the essay plans for all your AS topics if you still have them, please?

theyre hand written, so i'd have to take pictures of them. i could send them by email?

does the new AS have the same spec as the old one? social policy, childhood, demography etc?
Also got an A in both sociology units last year, I know the spec has changed slightly but my teacher actually says the new spec is nicer.

I know my classmates often tripped up by trying to over complicate things. The theories are simple enough to understand it's about finding a memory technique that works for you. Evaluation is key for getting good marks on the essay.

Use peeel for your paragraphs
Point
Evidence
Explanation
Evaluation
Link back to point

Don't miss marks on the shorter questions either they should be easy marks.

The best textbook I have used is the white and orange one, it has like an orange magma/lava design.
Original post by pomma

This book will definitely help you pass with a c or above its the aqa a level sociology book one by rob webb
Reply 13
A few days before.

Wow lol

How did you remember all the studies though? Do you have just good memory or something?
Reply 14
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Succeed-A2-Sociology-Complete-Specification/dp/0954007980/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1455743516&sr=8-6&keywords=Sociology+revision+guide

This is what I use and I find it very helpful. The AS book is also very good helped me loads last year.

My tip is to learn the for and against argument for each topic as the essays will ask one or the other.

Good luck
Reply 15
Original post by Guardianbright
Also got an A in both sociology units last year, I know the spec has changed slightly but my teacher actually says the new spec is nicer.

I know my classmates often tripped up by trying to over complicate things. The theories are simple enough to understand it's about finding a memory technique that works for you. Evaluation is key for getting good marks on the essay.

Use peeel for your paragraphs
Point
Evidence
Explanation
Evaluation
Link back to point

Don't miss marks on the shorter questions either they should be easy marks.

The best textbook I have used is the white and orange one, it has like an orange magma/lava design.

Do you use PEEL for the 12 mark questions? How would you structure it?
Original post by xxvine
Wow lol

How did you remember all the studies though? Do you have just good memory or something?

i didnt learn any studies lol. they wasnt necessary. i was confident enough in my essay structure, maybe if i did add a study i would have got full marks but idc i got an A.

i dont know how the hell i remembered everything honestly. i just used my short term memory. but i had such a good teacher, i was doing well all year. as i said i had essay plans (which had been wrote up when my teacher gave us an exam question) which i memorised (literally a few trigger words) and i relied heavily on predictions! i guessed them correctly. praying they give us social policy again tbh.
Original post by xxvine
Do you use PEEL for the 12 mark questions? How would you structure it?

yes but you dont need an introduction
you could have a conclusion
3-4 peeel paragraphs

linking back to the question is so important.
Reply 18
i didnt learn any studies lol. they wasnt necessary. i was confident enough in my essay structure, maybe if i did add a study i would have got full marks but idc i got an A.

i dont know how the hell i remembered everything honestly. i just used my short term memory. but i had such a good teacher, i was doing well all year. as i said i had essay plans (which had been wrote up when my teacher gave us an exam question) which i memorised (literally a few trigger words) and i relied heavily on predictions! i guessed them correctly. praying they give us social policy again tbh.

Wait are you doing A2 this year or have you done it already?
Original post by xxvine
Wait are you doing A2 this year or have you done it already?

Doing A2 this year
I done AS last year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending