The Student Room Group

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snowman123
This corporate vs startup world deabate is a non-starter. It's like saying what is better jam or marmalade. They are different. Perks/benefits from the corporate world is better. In the startup world it is worse, but there is more reward i.e. career progression at a faster rate and equity.

Feel free to PM me Hobbit, it would be good to hear what you are up to.

Yeah, indeed,

The start up world to be honest is not worth going into unless you plan to become a founder of a startup.

On some seed incubator application forms they ask you if you have had previous start up experience;as an employee or founder.
Original post by MUN123
Computer science is a challenging degree compared to other degree. Other subjects you can get away with making mistakes and come out with a good grade whereas in my degree if we couldn't hand in a working program we would pretty much fail the module

Dude, don't listen to these people who don't understand how difficult Computer Science is.

Computer science is one of the most difficult degrees there is, I did computer science and I got a 2:2. I've actually today just received a rejected appeal for a remark since I was 1% away from a 2:1...

I, like you spent most nights coding whilst my friends doing History or whatever were out partying.

Their courses were nothing compared to what we went through, these people commenting don't know ****. Computer science is HARD.

Be proud of your 2:2 grade, most of the 2:2 mocking is because it's so hard to do poorly in most of these degrees these days. My girlfriend did no work all year, she literally was so lazy and did everything at the last minute and she got a 2:1 in philosophy, whereas I was up all night coding, writing software, revising every day to get a 2:1.

The system isn't fair because degrees are of different difficulty, yet their grades are weighted the same. Chin up dude, you will be okay.

Man I cannot stress how much you should not give two moments thought to what some of these people are saying on this thread, they haven't got a clue.
I think grads today have to be willing to be mobile and leave their home towns. Take me for example. Although I'm no longer going to university, I've opted to join the navy instead on a cadetship sponsored by a major company(won't say which) for 3 years. I will then be qualified to work on any ship in the navy across the entire planet. I'm willing to go anywhere I need to make money to survive and I'm only 19. Sure, it seems like an extreme thing to do but I'm willing to do it. You have to be willing to put yourself into the most extreme situations to get your start in life.
Original post by marco14196
I think grads today have to be willing to be mobile and leave their home towns. Take me for example. Although I'm no longer going to university, I've opted to join the navy instead on a cadetship sponsored by a major company(won't say which) for 3 years. I will then be qualified to work on any ship in the navy across the entire planet. I'm willing to go anywhere I need to make money to survive and I'm only 19. Sure, it seems like an extreme thing to do but I'm willing to do it. You have to be willing to put yourself into the most extreme situations to get your start in life.

And thats it. Most people butthurt about being unemployed (see the idiot above) are not willing to commute or move anywhere else to find work. They claim they will do any job, but they won't. They will do any job that is within 2 miles of their home, or has very specific hours, or pays 40k a year, or doesn't involve any manual labour etc etc. You can't be that picky.

A while back there was complete ****tard with a Philosophy degree who couldn't get a job. She was being refused her Job Seeker because they had found her a job in Iceland, but she didn't want it because she was "above" it.

Before I went uni I was working part time in Argos literally only making 200-300 a month sometimes. The hours were appalling. In the end I had to find work in a city over an hour and a half away, working 12 hour shifts. Yes I was out for 15 hours (minimum), I would get home, have my dinner and go bed. In the winter with snow it could take me over 3 hours to get home.

My employer was desperate for more staff, but nobody wanted to work the hours so instead loads of Polish people willing to work hard were given the job. While at the same time the idiots (see above again) complain about unemployed.

The Eastern Europeans at my old job were packing for 12 hours a day, an awful job. Some of the guys there were actually very intelligent and because they worked hard they were given a chance and now have proper jobs within the company. Some of them earning around 32k... People in this country need to have the same attitude. But no, they want it all now.
Original post by angryjobseeker
**** YOU. YOU DID NOT GET A JOB AS a ****IN' 13 YEAR OLD THAT IS ILLEGAL!!! IF ANYONE GAVE ME A JOB AT THAT AGE MY MUM WOULD HAVE CALLED THE POLICE. I am VERY ****ING ANGRY TO THINK A ****ING 13 YEAR OLD COULD HAVE HAD A JOB WHEN I COULDN'T **** YOU.

My first job was when I was 15. No, it wasn't work experience or volunteering, it was a proper paid job and it was for a month in summer. What do you think of that?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RoundTrip
And thats it. Most people butthurt about being unemployed (see the idiot above) are not willing to commute or move anywhere else to find work. They claim they will do any job, but they won't. They will do any job that is within 2 miles of their home, or has very specific hours, or pays 40k a year, or doesn't involve any manual labour etc etc. You can't be that picky.

A while back there was complete ****tard with a Philosophy degree who couldn't get a job. She was being refused her Job Seeker because they had found her a job in Iceland, but she didn't want it because she was "above" it.

Before I went uni I was working part time in Argos literally only making 200-300 a month sometimes. The hours were appalling. In the end I had to find work in a city over an hour and a half away, working 12 hour shifts. Yes I was out for 15 hours (minimum), I would get home, have my dinner and go bed. In the winter with snow it could take me over 3 hours to get home.

My employer was desperate for more staff, but nobody wanted to work the hours so instead loads of Polish people willing to work hard were given the job. While at the same time the idiots (see above again) complain about unemployed.

The Eastern Europeans at my old job were packing for 12 hours a day, an awful job. Some of the guys there were actually very intelligent and because they worked hard they were given a chance and now have proper jobs within the company. Some of them earning around 32k... People in this country need to have the same attitude. But no, they want it all now.

Good read that was. Hopefully once I am a qualified navigation officer in 3 years time, I'll be able to start on around £24-£27K a year. It will be tough work and involve me being away for long periods of time but then I get long periods of time at home as well. I'm not excited about it but you have to do what you have to do to get by well in life. My eventual aim would be to try and work on super yachts which would be sweet. I admire the work ethic of the easterners because they realise that to live a good lifestyle, they need to work for it and I think to a degree for some people in this country, they don't understand that anymore.
Good read that was. Hopefully once I am a qualified navigation officer in 3 years time, I'll be able to start on around £24-£27K a year. It will be tough work and involve me being away for long periods of time but then I get long periods of time at home as well. I'm not excited about it but you have to do what you have to do to get by well in life. My eventual aim would be to try and work on super yachts which would be sweet. I admire the work ethic of the easterners because they realise that to live a good lifestyle, they need to work for it and I think to a degree for some people in this country, they don't understand that anymore.

You have the right attitude mate, and I'm sure you'll do well. Good luck.
Original post by RoundTrip
You have the right attitude mate, and I'm sure you'll do well. Good luck.

Thanks man :biggrin:
Original post by angryjobseeker
Makes me angry I gotta admit, I don't understand why my mum said it was illegal. I never even tried for that reason. And I don't see how you could get a job without experience either. I think you must have known someone at the company or just been incredibly lucky, that's what my mum always says when I bring up the topic of teen employment. I would have loved to have had some money and independence at that age, I was only just being allowed to go out by myself at that age.

It was at my school after I finished my GCSEs (we finished a month before the other years). I asked if I could help out. They employed me via the council for £3.50 an hour as a lab assistant and teaching assistant. I would mix chemicals in the labs, and set up and run experiments for the younger kids in the classroom. The work was easy and the pay was enough for me to afford my first ever computer.
I'm a 2:1 graduate and have had numerous rejections. Experience is everything unfortunately. I was stupid enough not to get a job before university and after finishing my A-Levels. If it wasn't for a couple of charity shops on my CV I'd be completely screwed.
Original post by cole-slaw
Wait.

what. the. ****.

You're presumably about 21 and you've NEVER had a job?

Jesus christ, be glad they'll let you work for free. Most people your age will have been in consistent employment for the past 5 years.

I had probably done about 10-12 different jobs by the time I finished uni and could have got a glowing reference off any one of them.

I'm 24 in precisely a month's time and I've never had a job.
Original post by Jabberwox

How have you survived not working at that age. I ask only out of curiosity.
How have you survived not working at that age. I ask only out of curiosity.

What do you mean, 'survived'?

I finished my GCSES, went and did A-Levels, took a year out to get some 'work' before university which never materialised because most employers don't take on people who are about to go to university, went to university did my degree and here I am.

I had problems at one of my colleges so had to switch colleges which put me a year behind everyone else.
What do you mean, 'survived'?

I finished my GCSES, went and did A-Levels, took a year out to get some 'work' before university which never materialised because most employers don't take on people who are about to go to university, went to university did my degree and here I am.

I had problems at one of my colleges so had to switch colleges which put me a year behind everyone else.

I mean survived in terms of providing for yourself because you say you have never had a job. Do you still live with your parents or did you fall onto JSA or are you getting money by other means. Nothing wrong with any of those, you got to do what you must to survive.
I mean survived in terms of providing for yourself because you say you have never had a job. Do you still live with your parents or did you fall onto JSA or are you getting money by other means. Nothing wrong with any of those, you got to do what you must to survive.

I live with my mum; I went on Jobseeker's the year before I went to university and am on Jobseeker's now.

I find that incredibly bizarre. I just come from a culture (England) where you learn to work as early as you are able, just because you do. Whether or not you get paid is irrelevant. I was working for 3 years before I got my first paycheck.

Life is tough. If you want to make something of it you have to put the effort in.
Reply 556
It's quite irritating how employers don't care about your university and just filter out below 2.1 by default. An AAA student could've worked twice as hard on their degree and walk out with a 2.2. Meanwhile, a BCC student can coast through their degree and not be filtered out. They don't care for the fact that a 2.2 graduate could still have a much better CV than many 2.1 applicants. Sorry to sound arrogant.
Reply 557
I find that incredibly bizarre. I just come from a culture (England) where you learn to work as early as you are able, just because you do. Whether or not you get paid is irrelevant. I was working for 3 years before I got my first paycheck.

Life is tough. If you want to make something of it you have to put the effort in.

Even finding crappy part time jobs is hard nowadays. I tried to find one during previous summer holidays but had no luck. I've seen sales roles on Reed receive 50 applications on the same day it was posted. It's far too competitive for young people without much experience.
Original post by Gherk
It's quite irritating how employers don't care about your university and just filter out below 2.1 by default. An AAA student could've worked twice as hard on their degree and walk out with a 2.2. Meanwhile, a BCC student can coast through their degree and not be filtered out. They don't care for the fact that a 2.2 graduate could still have a much better CV than many 2.1 applicants. Sorry to sound arrogant.

Tbh the same way somebody may have performed bad at a level and then fixed up and got a 2:1 at degree level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because when one mere sales vacancy is inundated with around 100+ applications, of course it's going to be difficult. Additionally employers didn't consider me because they knew I was going to university. In retrospect maybe I should have lied, but the grades probably gave it away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending