The Student Room Group

Being black or a minority the UK

Hey TSR, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and have been reevaluating my priorities and what exactly it means to be a black girl in the UK. Please feel free to add your experiences or thoughts :-)

Scroll to see replies

I'm not really sure what to say? :s
Original post by Bibliophile101
Hey TSR, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and have been reevaluating my priorities and what exactly it means to be a black girl in the UK. Please feel free to add your experiences or thoughts :-)

Errm for me I would say having to deal with negativity from your own race, e.g. Portion of Black men who like to bring their fellow Black women calling us unattractive and comparing us to other races. The whole lightskin vs dark skin and the new natural vs relaxed :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: kmt

Also for me, I feel there is a lack of social solidarity amongst us Black Women, I feel we pit ourselves against each other instead of raising one another and acknowledging that another fellow Black women's achievement should inspire us, not be full of resentment and jealousy.

Furthermore I sometimes feel that people expect less of Black women (not exclusive to any race) and we need to place more emphasis on academic qualifications, being a successful Black Women and most importantly inner self confidence that allows us not to be defined as one collective group or to be limited by our society.

Of course some of these points can be said for women in general but this is just my input x
Original post by EllainKahlo
I'm not really sure what to say? :s

you can say whatever you want as long as its relevant
Reply 4
Original post by Funkyhouse
Errm for me I would say having to deal with negativity from your own race, e.g. Portion of Black men who like to bring their fellow Black women calling us unattractive and comparing us to other races. The whole lightskin vs dark skin and the new natural vs relaxed :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: kmt

Also for me, I feel there is a lack of social solidarity amongst us Black Women, I feel we pit ourselves against each other instead of raising one another and acknowledging that another fellow Black women's achievement should inspire us, not be full of resentment and jealousy.

Furthermore I sometimes feel that people expect less of Black women (not exclusive to any race) and we need to place more emphasis on academic qualifications, being a successful Black Women and most importantly inner self confidence that allows us not to be defined as one collective group or to be limited by our society.

Of course some of these points can be said for women in general but this is just my input x

Spot on. Seriously, I couldn't agree more.

I also find it strange on why some feel the need to sexualise themselves into objects just to get an ounce of attention from men (mostly black males), like that is all we"re worth for. Although all races do that, I feel like I see it more in the black community as a black woman myself.

We're still slaves mentally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can grasp racism, I really can, but colorism? COLORISM? This is why white people can't take us seriously, because we discriminate against each other like ****ing children. All I want to say to these people is, "It doesn't matter how light skinned you are, if you're black then you're black, stop trying to act like you're better than us!" Honestly.
Original post by BookBird
I can grasp racism, I really can, but colorism? COLORISM? This is why white people can't take us seriously, because we discriminate against each other like ****ing children. All I want to say to these people is, "It doesn't matter how light skinned you are, if you're black then you're black, stop trying to act like you're better than us!" Honestly.

This is very true in todays society as you see black people with lighter skin treated more favorably than our darker skinned sisters who are just as beautiful
This kind of racism in Uk does not exist any more, only minorities are racists like this.
Original post by SebastianMar1994
This kind of racism in Uk does not exist any more, only minorities are racists like this.

What kind of racism? Did you even read the thread?
I believe black women need to empower themselves, I see many coming from broken homes... and they are usually out and about looking for male attention or getting in trouble.
This is perhaps one of the most uninspired threads TSR has ever had. Instead of reflecting on the amazing integration or experiences of being both British and also adopting the heritage of your lineages, this thread is nothing but a sad tale of woes about the many 'injustices' you face.

As @SebastianMar so eloquently put it, such prejudices are not the precusor for the attitudes of many in Britain.

You can respect the origins of a history i.e. Slavery, but it should only be used as a comparative history to reflect how far society has come. This needless victimisation and continually blame of Modern society for the stagnancy and lack of progression in the Black community, does nothing but highlight the lack of progression of the Black community in Britain.

And if you think constantly reminding the world that you were slaves will somehow postively change your present circumstances, well.. then you're living in nothing but an idealistic fallacy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bibliophile101
This is very true in todays society as you see black people with lighter skin treated more favorably than our darker skinned sisters who are just as beautiful

It's disgusting.
Original post by Smithy-Smiths
This is perhaps one of the most uninspired threads TSR has ever had. Instead of reflecting on the amazing integration or experiences of being both British and also adopting the heritage of your lineages, this thread is nothing but a sad tale of woes about the many 'injustices' you face.

As @SebastianMar so eloquently put it, such prejudices are not the precusor for the attitudes of many in Britain.

You can respect the origins of a history i.e. Slavery, but it should only be used as a comparative history to reflect how far society has come. This needless victimisation and continually blame of Modern society for the stagnancy and lack of progression in the Black community, does nothing but highlight the lack of progression of the Black community in Britain.

And if you think constantly reminding the world that you were slaves will somehow postively change your present circumstances, well.. then you're living in nothing but an idealistic fallacy.

Wow, I like how you have a chip on your shoulder and mention it, without actually understanding what the thread is about. It's about what ethnic minorities experiences are like in the UK, good or bad. Nobody mentioned slavery apart from you. No one said that all of Britain is prejudiced, but you have somehow managed to include it.
Yes not everyone in the UK is racist, no one has said that, but to its seem that you are alluding to that it does not affect peoples lives negatively.
Original post by ZuluNation003
Wow, I like how you have a chip on your shoulder and mention it, without actually understanding what the thread is about. It's about what ethnic minorities experiences are like in the UK, good or bad. Nobody mentioned slavery apart from you. No one said that all of Britain is prejudiced, but you have somehow managed to include it.
Yes not everyone in the UK is racist, no one has said that, but to its seem that you are alluding to that it does not affect peoples lives negatively.

Huh? Well I must rather incompetent then? All I've read so far is "oh colourism" (not an actual term. "Oh we're so sexualised" and I'm pretty sure someone just said "we're stuck in that slave mentality". Why you feel the need to act as if I had a theoretical "chip on my shoulder" then so be it.

It's a shame that I am somehow disbarred from speaking, solely because you don't like what I've said. But I guess freedom of speech is not acceptable.
Original post by Peju
Spot on. Seriously, I couldn't agree more.

I also find it strange on why some feel the need to sexualise themselves into objects just to get an ounce of attention from men (mostly black males), like that is all we"re worth for. Although all races do that, I feel like I see it more in the black community as a black woman myself.

We're still slaves mentally.
Posted from TSR Mobile

:congrats::congrats::congrats: Exactly ! We have a long way to go still but I'm hopeful we'll get there and set an example for other women from all races.
Original post by ☺ ♥ ☺
Go to Africa then

Wow.
Original post by BookBird

Why should what white people think about black people even bother you?

Tbf in the posts so far, its more of the Black community acknowledging our own faults, please refer me to where someone is blaming modern society for our lack of progression, must have missed.

Why are you bringing in "progression" and "slavery" when this is about experiences. Flip open a sociology book and understand that discussions like this are necessary. There isn't even a lack of progression within the black community anyway, where'd that come from? Jheeze reign in your horses m8

Exactly this!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending