The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rawalkaran1
Guys please help, I have done one year diploma course in aeronautical engineering from india, i want to continue my education from UK. Is it possible? ??

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/entrance-requirements/india/

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/transfer/
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Do I need to buy any books? I haven't seen any book lists or anything, are they provided?
Depending on your course, yes you will need books, and no they are not provided! I found my book lists through iSaint I think, though I can't remember exactly where. I wouldn't worry, I'm sure you'll be told what books you need in introductory lectures etc! If money is an issue it might be useful to know that they're really quite expensive, I think I worked out that if I'm able to take the modules I want to they will cost around £100 - £150
Quick question to all current St Andrews students --

Going to be hiking in Sligachan for a few days in a pretty remote area. No phone service (3G or any data), no wi-fi. I see that Kate Kennedy Opening Ball tickets are being sold Sep 2nd and I won't be back yet then, and since it's my first year I'd love to go (since it's basically the freshman ball, I hear??!).

Do they sell out really quickly typically? Can I buy them once at uni if not online??

Going to be hiking in Sligachan for a few days in a pretty remote area. No phone service (3G or any data), no wi-fi. I see that Kate Kennedy Opening Ball tickets are being sold Sep 2nd and I won't be back yet then, and since it's my first year I'd love to go (since it's basically the freshman ball, I hear??!).

Do they sell out really quickly typically? Can I buy them once at uni if not online??
Original post by luxemjuxem

Keep an eye on the facebook groups - there are bound to be a few people selling their ticket later on.
Yet another question... if you get stuff sent to your hall, can it arrive ahead of this Saturday? Are there people there already holding parcels etc for you? This is for DRA.

Thanks!
Original post by cora06140
Yet another question... if you get stuff sent to your hall, can it arrive ahead of this Saturday? Are there people there already holding parcels etc for you? This is for DRA.

Thanks!

The hall staff ask incoming students not to send parcels ahead because there is not storage space for all the students to do that. They may not accept anything you send in advance, so I would make sure it arrives after you do!
Original post by hayheyley
The hall staff ask incoming students not to send parcels ahead because there is not storage space for all the students to do that. They may not accept anything you send in advance, so I would make sure it arrives after you do!

Great, thanks, we'll organise it differently then!
>how rural is the university? is there a lot to do?
>Where can I view the course modules for history? I can't find them on the website
>I'm applying during a gap year. The course requires AAA and I got AAB History is currently being remarked in the hopes it would go up to an A*, and I will be retaking a second exam in order to get another A*. Is it still worth an application? I would be applying with A*AB or A*A*B My other 2 subjects aren't related.
Hi,
Would you be able to advice me whether I should bother applying? My GCSE grades were 1 a* 4 a's and 4 b's and my AS grades are:

English language: A
Philosophy & ethics (R.S): A
English literature: B
History: B

I've dropped History now and I'm applying to uni's for English literature and philosophy joint honours but I read on the St. Andrew's website that they prefer students to have more breadth across subjects rather than being closely linked like English literature and language which I'll be doing both for A2 so is it still worth it??
Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a few questions about thee university itself:

First, Are there a large number of Americans studying at St Andrews and how often would you have an American staff member or lecturer? Second, does St Andrews have the feel of a small university(do most students know each other and is it small enough that you could bump into you professors/lecturers)? Third, since it's a small university does it ever feel overcrowded for instance could lecture halls/rooms fill up with students having to sit on the floor during lectures(I personally experienced this in a uni open lecture)? And finally, is the uni strict on lectures or could student choose not attend if they could keep up with the work?
Original post by Ali1302
I have a few questions about thee university itself:

First, Are there a large number of Americans studying at St Andrews and how often would you have an American staff member or lecturer? Second, does St Andrews have the feel of a small university(do most students know each other and is it small enough that you could bump into you professors/lecturers)? Third, since it's a small university does it ever feel overcrowded for instance could lecture halls/rooms fill up with students having to sit on the floor during lectures(I personally experienced this in a uni open lecture)? And finally, is the uni strict on lectures or could student choose not attend if they could keep up with the work?

1. There are a lot of Americans. A lot. My hall (Sallies) was around 50% Americans, and most of my classes in Modern History were majority americans (Medieval was about 40% Americans, Classics had hardly any - this is only based on my tutorials though). It depends on the subject when it comes to lecturers; I didn't have that many in History. Most were British/European. You can look at lists of professors for your subject online.

2. It depends how many people you know. I rarely ran into people I knew, but it did happen. Most of my lecturers/tutors lived out of town so I rarely saw any of them around town. But most people seem to run into people they know frequently.

3. I can, but rarely. My first year modern history lecture was packed for the first 3 weeks; I had to sit on the floor, and I wasn't the only one. Usually early in the semester lectures are full, but they dwindle very quickly. The only place that consistently feels overcrowded is the library.

4. You must attend tutorials. Not sure about other schools, but if you miss 3 tutorials in History, you get 'disciplinary action'. But lectures are up to you. They're definitely worth going to most of the time though.
Original post by ElizabethRG
1. There are a lot of Americans. A lot. My hall (Sallies) was around 50% Americans, and most of my classes in Modern History were majority americans (Medieval was about 40% Americans, Classics had hardly any - this is only based on my tutorials though). It depends on the subject when it comes to lecturers; I didn't have that many in History. Most were British/European. You can look at lists of professors for your subject online.

2. It depends how many people you know. I rarely ran into people I knew, but it did happen. Most of my lecturers/tutors lived out of town so I rarely saw any of them around town. But most people seem to run into people they know frequently.

3. I can, but rarely. My first year modern history lecture was packed for the first 3 weeks; I had to sit on the floor, and I wasn't the only one. Usually early in the semester lectures are full, but they dwindle very quickly. The only place that consistently feels overcrowded is the library.

4. You must attend tutorials. Not sure about other schools, but if you miss 3 tutorials in History, you get 'disciplinary action'. But lectures are up to you. They're definitely worth going to most of the time though.

First of all, seriously a hall that's 50% American that's crazy they must really love royalty/the monarchy I guess. that must be a unique experience especially in Scotland. Question why do you think St Andrews attracts a lot of people from the united states? Is St Andrews popular with Americans for some reason other than the obvious royal link??

Second, well I guess that the small size of the university can be a positive factor hopefully it doesn't get too crowded.

Third, sitting on the floor in a lecture hall is harsh especially within you first few weeks there. Also is there a particular reason why the library always feels packed is it particularly small?? If that's the case would exam period be extremely crowded as in students having to do their work on the floor?

And finally, if you don't mind me asking what is "disciplinary action"? would they like call you parents or something? Detention? Or a lecture from the principle? Nevertheless, that sounds terrifying especially when your getting told off at uni.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ali1302
First of all, seriously a hall that's 50% American that's crazy they must really love royalty/the monarchy I guess. that must be a unique experience especially in Scotland. Question why do you think St Andrews attracts a lot of people from the united states? Is St Andrews popular with Americans for some reason other than the obvious royal link??

Second, well I guess that the small size of the university can be a positive factor hopefully it doesn't get too crowded.

Third, sitting on the floor in a lecture hall is harsh especially within you first few weeks there. Also is there a particular reason why the library always feels packed is it particularly small?? If that's the case would exam period be extremely crowded as in students having to do their work on the floor?

And finally, if you don't mind me asking what is "disciplinary action"? would they like call you parents or something? Detention? Or a lecture from the principle? Nevertheless, that sounds terrifying especially when your getting told off at uni.

1. I have no idea; I'm Canadian. I heard something about it being a high calibre education for cheaper than an american school of similar calibre, but who knows.

3. Yes, it is. Get to lectures 10 minutes early for a few weeks if you want to avoid that (I couldn't; back to back lectures 20 minutes from each other). The library is too small compared to the number of students who need it. I've never seen people studying on the floor; people would go home before that happened (though lots of people sit in the aisles to read books).

4. They're not going to call your parents, this isn't high school. I know one of the 'tiers' is a weird threatening email, but I never missed more than one tutorial. This is the basis of it: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/intrel/schoolhandbook/academicalert/ Basically if you miss too much, you fail the module.
Original post by Ali1302
First of all, seriously a hall that's 50% American that's crazy they must really love royalty/the monarchy I guess. that must be a unique experience especially in Scotland. Question why do you think St Andrews attracts a lot of people from the united states? Is St Andrews popular with Americans for some reason other than the obvious royal link??.

Original post by ElizabethRG
1. I have no idea; I'm Canadian. I heard something about it being a high calibre education for cheaper than an american school of similar calibre, but who knows.

I imagine that it's mostly because of the cost, and because St Andrews is one of the relatively few universities in the United Kingdom to which American students can apply through their common application.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ispyjonnytriff
I imagine that it's mostly because of the cost, and because St Andrews is one of the relatively few universities in the United Kingdom to which American students can apply through their common application.

It's also because the Scottish system whereby you study three subject for the first year is more similair to the American major/minor system.

It's also worth pointing out that while St Salvators might be 40%+ composed of Americans, that isn't true of the university at large, where it's more like 10%.
I wonder if there are more Americans in Sallies as they opt to share in the first year?
Original post by LadyBunion
I wonder if there are more Americans in Sallies as they opt to share in the first year?

Yes Sallies has a reputation for having loads of Americans staying there!
What courses are the most popular?

Latest

Trending

Trending