The Student Room Group

What text books are required for a Software Engineering course?

Hi all,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't see anywhere better. My question is, does anybody know what textbooks I will require for my Software Engineering course (starting year 1), and also what would the cost be (ballpark figure)?

Regards,
Sam
I would definitely wait until you start the course before you buy any books. And if cost is an issue, if your uni library is any good you will find it packed with even recent titles there for you to borrow free of charge. Of course the greatest resource of all is the interweb. There isn't much that isn't covered on the internet. In fact I think it would be fair to say that most books are out of date or missing large sections of relevance before they are even printed.

Good luck and have fun!
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
I would definitely wait until you start the course before you buy any books. And if cost is an issue, if your uni library is any good you will find it packed with even recent titles there for you to borrow free of charge. Of course the greatest resource of all is the interweb. There isn't much that isn't covered on the internet. In fact I think it would be fair to say that most books are out of date or missing large sections of relevance before they are even printed.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the fast reply! You make good points, I will definitely check out the library. You have eased my worries a bit there, thanks again :smile:
Hey! I'm going in Software Engineering as well. I have a reading list already and these books are listed as essential for the information systems unit:

Database Principles by Carlos Colonel, 2013 2nd edition
An Introduction to Information Systems by David Whiteley, 2013
An Introduction to Systems Analysis Techniques by Mark Lejk & David Deeks, 2002 2nd edition
Using UML: Software Engineering with Objects and Components by Perdita Stevens & R.J. Pooley, 2006 2nd edition

Further reading list:

Business in Context: An Introduction to Business and its Environment by David Needle, 2015 6th edition
Theories of the Information Society by Frank Webster, 2014 4th edition
UML Distilled: a Brief Guide to the Standard Object Modeling Language by Martin Fowler, 2004 3rd edition

These might differ depending on university though. I've been looking for the essential books, if bought new all 4 would be about £200, so far I've bought 2 for £3 each used and am still looking for the other two.
Hope this helps.:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Luindes
Hey! I'm going in Software Engineering as well. I have a reading list already and these books are listed as essential for the information systems unit:

An Introduction to Systems Analysis Techniques by Mark Lejk & David Deeks, 2002 2nd edition
Using UML: Software Engineering with Objects and Components by Perdita Stevens & R.J. Pooley, 2006 2nd edition

Further reading list:

Business in Context: An Introduction to Business and its Environment by David Needle, 2015 6th edition
UML Distilled: a Brief Guide to the Standard Object Modeling Language by Martin Fowler, 2004 3rd edition

These might differ depending on university though. I've been looking for the essential books, if bought new all 4 would be about £200, so far I've bought 2 for £3 each used and am still looking for the other two.
Hope this helps.:smile:

That helps a lot, thanks for the specifics! I'll be sure to look out for second hand ones, there is no way I could even consider paying £200 for a few books lol. £3 each sounds amazing! Thanks for the reply.
When you're sure on what to buy, used books are £3 on Amazon - it's usually 1p for book and +£2.80 shipping.
Original post by Luindes

Further reading list:

Again - I would urge you to hold off until you get there. Databases are a doddle. I have no idea what information systems are, other than systems that hold information. I reckon David Whiteley is making a killing out of disappointed readers. As for UML - I have a cheap sheet type book 150 pages long that contains all you will ever need called UML Distilled by Martin Fowler. It is better than any of the comprehensive books I have seen - but that is my opinion. So seriously - hold fire until you get to university. Chances are you will be given comprehensive handouts in the lectures and if your library is half decent, you should only be looking to purchase the sort of books that will stay with you through your lifetime. I don't use any books I bought at uni in my software career.

Good luck!
Original post by ByEeek
Again - I would urge you to hold off until you get there. Databases are a doddle. I have no idea what information systems are, other than systems that hold information. I reckon David Whiteley is making a killing out of disappointed readers. As for UML - I have a cheap sheet type book 150 pages long that contains all you will ever need called UML Distilled by Martin Fowler. It is better than any of the comprehensive books I have seen - but that is my opinion. So seriously - hold fire until you get to university. Chances are you will be given comprehensive handouts in the lectures and if your library is half decent, you should only be looking to purchase the sort of books that will stay with you through your lifetime. I don't use any books I bought at uni in my software career.

Good luck!

Thank you, I only bought 2 of the books cause they were £3 each and one was a last copy for that price. The other two are £15 and £50 each so I'm waiting with those. The university library had only 5 copies of one of the books if I remember correctly and I really like having my own copies, but yeah, I'm not rushing with all of them.
Thank you very much for the info though. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending