The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HandmadeTurnip
I might be wrong but I don't think the first year of Physics has any optional units. The option to enrol in classes is always there, regardless of whether you actually need to use it or not.

Also, do you know if this will be my final timetable, or if there are things that still need to be added. I need to know to arrange when i can work.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by johnh545
Also, do you know if this will be my final timetable, or if there are things that still need to be added. I need to know to arrange when i can work.

I have no idea, sorry, but I'm inclined to say no. I'm surprised you've even been given a timetable this early, I've always had to wait until Welcome Week and even then some units didn't appear straight away.
Desperately looking for a room swap, got a room at Whitworth Park on Oxford road literally 2 seconds away from the university but would prefer somewhere with an en suite and something a bit bigger as I was expecting to spend a lot more on accommodation.
Original post by szm95
I believe we enrol in classes during welcome week as that's when we can choose our course units(depends on the course you do). My course is sociology in which I have 3 mandatory units whereas the rest are optional.

Ahh thank you😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2464
Will the uni id card suffice for student discount or do you have to buy a NUS card?
Original post by szm95
Will the uni id card suffice for student discount or do you have to buy a NUS card?

It will for most places but there are a handful of exceptions. I don't think it's worth it, personally, unless you happen to regularly shop somewhere that only accepts the NUS Extra card.
Original post by BethDowling
Desperately looking for a room swap, got a room at Whitworth Park on Oxford road literally 2 seconds away from the university but would prefer somewhere with an en suite and something a bit bigger as I was expecting to spend a lot more on accommodation.

Hi, I didn't get my choice either, but i was adviced to accept the offer and apply for Transfer in October. I don't know if you'll find someone who will swap in this short time as u only have few days but Goodluck! :smile:
Reply 2467
When do we recieve our full timetables?
I've got mine - registered like yesterday but I had it prior

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1441236679.829377.jpg
A forum/ whatsapp group chat we've created for those joining Manchester university and don't drink or go clubbing planning events such as cinema or bowling and hopefully loads of people join!! Spread message please http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3563139 😌☝️🎓😌☝🎓😌☝🎓

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2470
anyone doing physics,
I just registered and at the end it comes up with a timetable of lectures and there is an option to enroll in classes. Do we need to enroll in anything or are we already on the things we need?

http://bluebook.physics.manchester.ac.uk/7_programme_structure/1styrs1prog.html
This helped me figure out my options, I'm studying physics with astrophysics:smile: As far as I'm concerned the total number of your credits should be exactly 120 so you need to find out how many of your course units are mandatory (mymanchester - course unit information) and then choose the rest of the units from your options list (the link+course unit info). Some of them start in semester 2 though. So for example I have 8 mandatory units(80 credit points)+mandatory lab(20credit points). this gives 100 credits so i need to select two more units.. Hope this helps! spent literally all of last nigh figuring this stuff out:s-smilie: i selected Physics in everyday life(1st semester) and physics of the solar system (2nd semester), hope i did everything right..
Original post by Olgs
http://bluebook.physics.manchester.ac.uk/7_programme_structure/1styrs1prog.html
This helped me figure out my options, I'm studying physics with astrophysics:smile: As far as I'm concerned the total number of your credits should be exactly 120 so you need to find out how many of your course units are mandatory (mymanchester - course unit information) and then choose the rest of the units from your options list (the link+course unit info). Some of them start in semester 2 though. So for example I have 8 mandatory units(80 credit points)+mandatory lab(20credit points). this gives 100 credits so i need to select two more units.. Hope this helps! spent literally all of last nigh figuring this stuff out:s-smilie: i selected Physics in everyday life(1st semester) and physics of the solar system (2nd semester), hope i did everything right..

But when i tried to enrol in classes online it said i cant do it online, how did you do it?
Original post by Sbh300
When do we recieve our full timetables?

It depends on your department. Some people seem to already have them, others won't get theirs until Welcome Week.
Reply 2473
But when i tried to enrol in classes online it said i cant do it online, how did you do it?

I did it online in the student center, maybe you should email the department, thats what i would do. I have no idea why it won't let you enroll online:/
Original post by Olgs
I did it online in the student center, maybe you should email the department, thats what i would do. I have no idea why it won't let you enroll online:/

Ok ill do that tonight. Thanks for your help.
Original post by Minamenae
Hi, I didn't get my choice either, but i was adviced to accept the offer and apply for Transfer in October. I don't know if you'll find someone who will swap in this short time as u only have few days but Goodluck! :smile:

Aw thank you but I've ended up going into private halls! Where did you want to be? Did you get Whitworth as well? I nearly cried when I saw it. One of my friends lived there last year and I hated it but some people seem to be fine! I just definitely prefer a bigger room with my own bathroom!!
Original post by BethDowling
Aw thank you but I've ended up going into private halls! Where did you want to be? Did you get Whitworth as well? I nearly cried when I saw it. One of my friends lived there last year and I hated it but some people seem to be fine! I just definitely prefer a bigger room with my own bathroom!!

I was gonna go into private halls aswell but i thought it would have been late as i only got my Accommodation recently :/ I got Dalton Ellis but i wanted Victoria Hall, got given the complete opposite i wouldn't have mind as long as it was self catered and ensuite or close enough :frown: Oh thats good then! Atleast you've got something :smile:
Reply 2477
Ok ill do that tonight. Thanks for your help.

no problem:smile:
Original post by Minamenae
I was gonna go into private halls aswell but i thought it would have been late as i only got my Accommodation recently :/ I got Dalton Ellis but i wanted Victoria Hall, got given the complete opposite i wouldn't have mind as long as it was self catered and ensuite or close enough :frown: Oh thats good then! Atleast you've got something :smile:

Well I thought that but we just phoned up everywhere! Try that unite students because she was literally doing everything she could to get me a room! It's annoying isn't it, there's actually no point in even putting three options because they don't give you anything you want!
Are you supposed to enrol in classes yet?

Latest

Trending

Trending