The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

I sent another, longer and clearer email marked high priority and got a reply in 10 minutes.

That work experience is going ahead so in two weeks' time I'll have 9 days of school experience, plus my widening access project work.

I'll still do a few afternoons at the school near uni that I've contacted and I'm hoping to fit in a few days at the private school sometime this term to make sure that I definitely have the 10 days generally required (one uni said a week was required, and the other said just a day so I should be okay on that front).

I might contact my possible references now before things get hectic at uni (though it may already be hectic, I have no idea). I actually don't have a clue as to when I'm due back at uni because I've not been told anything (I think possibly because I'm a part-time returning PGT student so I'm probably not on the right mailing lists for the new student info about dates) so I don't know when lecturers would be around to discuss giving me a reference.

I'm quite worried about that actually - the two people who I want for my references (my personal tutor and the lecturer who oversees the widening access project) don't know me that well.

I've only been at this uni for a year and as I'm not full-time, I've only taken 3 modules so far - one was Latin (but I don't know if my Latin tutor knows me well enough? He knows that I got good grades but beyond that...), another was a module for which I had maybe 10 hours contact time over the year and I don't think I was at my best in it, and the last was a module that switched lecturer every time.

I've met my personal tutor but I don't know how well he knows me so I'm planning to go in and speak to him and the widening access person has met me multiple times but one of those times thought I was a student volunteer instead of a project coordinator so... But I have done loads with that project, including representing it and my entire school within the uni at the uni-wide widening access summer school so if he remembers me he would be a good reference.
Original post by Aemiliana
I sent another, longer and clearer email marked high priority and got a reply in 10 minutes.

That work experience is going ahead so in two weeks' time I'll have 9 days of school experience, plus my widening access project work.

I'll still do a few afternoons at the school near uni that I've contacted and I'm hoping to fit in a few days at the private school sometime this term to make sure that I definitely have the 10 days generally required (one uni said a week was required, and the other said just a day so I should be okay on that front).

I might contact my possible references now before things get hectic at uni (though it may already be hectic, I have no idea). I actually don't have a clue as to when I'm due back at uni because I've not been told anything (I think possibly because I'm a part-time returning PGT student so I'm probably not on the right mailing lists for the new student info about dates) so I don't know when lecturers would be around to discuss giving me a reference.

I'm quite worried about that actually - the two people who I want for my references (my personal tutor and the lecturer who oversees the widening access project) don't know me that well.

I've only been at this uni for a year and as I'm not full-time, I've only taken 3 modules so far - one was Latin (but I don't know if my Latin tutor knows me well enough? He knows that I got good grades but beyond that...), another was a module for which I had maybe 10 hours contact time over the year and I don't think I was at my best in it, and the last was a module that switched lecturer every time.

I've met my personal tutor but I don't know how well he knows me so I'm planning to go in and speak to him and the widening access person has met me multiple times but one of those times thought I was a student volunteer instead of a project coordinator so... But I have done loads with that project, including representing it and my entire school within the uni at the uni-wide widening access summer school so if he remembers me he would be a good reference.

What references are you using?

Im stuck between going academic tutor + masters thesis supervisor or academic tutor + school teacher. Cambridge said I'd need very strong references to show I could study at a PG level (which makes little sense as i'm doing a masters), so I'm kind of leaning towards tutor + supervisor as it covers the academic side very well.
Original post by TunaTunnel

Im stuck between going academic tutor + masters thesis supervisor or academic tutor + school teacher. Cambridge said I'd need very strong references to show I could study at a PG level (which makes little sense as i'm doing a masters), so I'm kind of leaning towards tutor + supervisor as it covers the academic side very well.

I don't know. As I said I'm thinking of my personal tutor at uni and the lecturer who organises the widening access project (he doesn't teach in my department so he doesn't know me from there).

Yeah, I figured we'd probably have the 'ability to study at PG level/level 7' down with our postgraduate degrees, surely? Maybe I should ask my Latin tutor then as I got a distinction in the subject I want to teach and he's the one who ran the module...

I don't know. As I said I'm thinking of my personal tutor at uni and the lecturer who organises the widening access project (he doesn't teach in my department so he doesn't know me from there).

Yeah, I figured we'd probably have the 'ability to study at PG level/level 7' down with our postgraduate degrees, surely? Maybe I should ask my Latin tutor then as I got a distinction in the subject I want to teach and he's the one who ran the module...

My references are: one from my current university tutor and one from my current employer (which is a bit dodgy as they now know I will be leaving)
Reply 124
Hi Ive just stumbled across this forum. Forgive me if this has already been covered but im looking to apply for PGCE Primary with MFL is anyone else doing the same?

When do the applications generally open?

Laura
Original post by taguey
Hi Ive just stumbled across this forum. Forgive me if this has already been covered but im looking to apply for PGCE Primary with MFL is anyone else doing the same?

When do the applications generally open?

Laura

Mid-October
The mental arithmetic part on the QTS is really difficult... I'm definitely out of practice

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)
Has anyone worked out how to successfully use the 'all regions' search on UCAS?

I don't really care where I end up, I just want to get onto teacher training. I'd like to look at the school direct options but I don't want to have to search each region individually.
Reply 128
Has anyone worked out how to successfully use the 'all regions' search on UCAS?

I don't really care where I end up, I just want to get onto teacher training. I'd like to look at the school direct options but I don't want to have to search each region individually.

I don't even have a clue what the 'all regions' is on UCAS?? I don't know if this applies to me as I want to do a PGCE. When can we start getting our applications together for a 2016 entry?
Original post by Embob93
I don't even have a clue what the 'all regions' is on UCAS?? I don't know if this applies to me as I want to do a PGCE. When can we start getting our applications together for a 2016 entry?

Start doing your statement, getting permission from references etc, that way you won't be chasing them up half the time. Also practice skills tests. Those are the tough bits. The rest of the app will just be details about so won't be too long to fill in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Embob93

Basically, when you search UCAS teacher training (or whatever it's called) it forces you to narrow your search to, say, the south east even though one of the options is 'all regions'. So it'd take me about 8 searches to put together all the places I could apply to.

They still have courses for 2015 on there even though most are closed so I wanted to get an idea of how many school based courses there are for my subject.

If prefer to do a PGCE too, and these are also listed on the same system, but only 2 universities offer my PGCE so I'm thinking of applying for a school based one as my third choice.
Reply 131
Original post by jimbles
Start doing your statement, getting permission from references etc, that way you won't be chasing them up half the time. Also practice skills tests. Those are the tough bits. The rest of the app will just be details about so won't be too long to fill in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any tips for the skills tests? Are you just practising them online?
Reply 132
Basically, when you search UCAS teacher training (or whatever it's called) it forces you to narrow your search to, say, the south east even though one of the options is 'all regions'. So it'd take me about 8 searches to put together all the places I could apply to.

They still have courses for 2015 on there even though most are closed so I wanted to get an idea of how many school based courses there are for my subject.

If prefer to do a PGCE too, and these are also listed on the same system, but only 2 universities offer my PGCE so I'm thinking of applying for a school based one as my third choice.

What PGCE are you wanting to do? :smile:
Original post by Embob93
What PGCE are you wanting to do? :smile:

Latin with Classics so Latin, Ancient History, and Classical Civilizations. If I manage to get A Level Ancient Greek then that too.
Got a weeks experience in my local primary school starting monday.
Original post by Embob93
Do you have any tips for the skills tests? Are you just practising them online?

just online! Well i say that, but I've not started to do so yet! oops :frown:
If anyone has issues with the maths tests I can help them with harder topics they struggle on.
If anyone has issues with the maths tests I can help them with harder topics they struggle on.

I might have to take you up on that! I did maths at uni in a biomechanics module, but other than that, it's been so long since I used it etc
Reply 138
Original post by jimbles
I might have to take you up on that! I did maths at uni in a biomechanics module, but other than that, it's been so long since I used it etc

It's been so long for me too! How can you help? Really appreciate any! :smile:
Reply 139

It's been so long for me too! How can you help? Really appreciate any! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending