The Student Room Group

The average starting salary for Comp Sci graduates, income progression

I will graduate in Computer Science in 2018, hopefully with a 2.1.

I've looked around on places like indeed, monster, totaljobs, graduate advantage, graduate west midlands, IT jobs, etc and I've noticed starting salaries are between £22-28k.

Upon graduating I will have completed summer work experience in programming, completed by a degree with the OU (which may be an advantage due to independent study, self discipline, organisation, motivation), competed a few university projects as well as created a blog on java tutorials and with some business experience.

I'm just looking for a job in programming, systems development/analyst, networking, software development/testing, security, project co-coordinating, anything to do with IT.

What is the likely starting salary? How will my salary increase? Lets say 3 years into my career?

I'm very curious, thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by CompSci89
I will graduate in Computer Science in 2018, hopefully with a 2.1.

I've looked around on places like indeed, monster, totaljobs, graduate advantage, graduate west midlands, IT jobs, etc and I've noticed starting salaries are between £22-28k.

Upon graduating I will have completed summer work experience in programming, completed by a degree with the OU (which may be an advantage due to independent study, self discipline, organisation, motivation), competed a few university projects as well as created a blog on java tutorials and with some business experience.

I'm just looking for a job in programming, systems development/analyst, networking, software development/testing, security, project co-coordinating, anything to do with IT.

What is the likely starting salary? How will my salary increase?

I'm very curious, thanks.

I have been at my current Software Development/Consulting role for almost a year, and my starting salary was 22k. some companies have pay structures based on the length of time you've been there and others pay you based on how fast you are at learning and progressing, so it really depends.

It usually takes graduates to progress to the next level, losing the graduate title within 2-3 years at my company, but at the rate I am going, I've been told I could look at a promotion in a few months, not only a raise.

So progression and pay scales are really down to how you impress the company, and how much hand holding you do :smile:

Hope this helps!
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't stay in one place. First job should be less about money and more about setting you up. I would focus on good technologies, good location and good work hours (8 hours+ is way too much for a sub 30k salary, enjoy your life :smile: ). Maybe after 2 years worry about money.
Reply 3
I started working for a small company as a graduate software engineer back in June. For £25k, I'm been offered a flexible and good working hours (37 hours/week) + awesome location (very close to centre). For me, this is a great starting point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending