The Student Room Group

Biology A2

Hi guys

I'm just starting my biology A2 (Edexcel).
I've heard it's a pretty challenging year, so was wondering if anyone who has already done it has any advise?

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

You're screwed.

Posted from BEHIND YOU
Original post by ALEVEL_STUDENT
You're screwed.

Posted from BEHIND YOU

Reassuring! But no, seriously, how did you cope?

Was the CGP revision guide your bible?
Original post by hipposcribble

Three words: Learn mark schemes.
Hi guys

I'm just starting my biology A2 (Edexcel).
I've heard it's a pretty challenging year, so was wondering if anyone who has already done it has any advise?

Cheers

I did this, the best advice is to read the text books and then read them again
Original post by Hydeman
Three words: Learn mark schemes.

So do you think doing multiple past papers and memorising answers is the key to success for this?

Thanks!
Original post by Shantellea
I did this, the best advice is to read the text books and then read them again

When you say read the textbooks, are you referring to the Edexcel ones, or CGP, or both? Thanks a lot x
When you say read the textbooks, are you referring to the Edexcel ones, or CGP, or both? Thanks a lot x

I did the Edexcel SNAB course so I had that textbook and the green textbook to read. I found that the edexcel revision guide to be better than the CGP one
I did the Edexcel SNAB course so I had that textbook and the green textbook to read. I found that the edexcel revision guide to be better than the CGP one

Where did you get your Edexcel Revision guide from and do you think a good time to get this is about Christmas?

Lots of people say they find the CGP book to be too vague - do you agree with this? thanks
The only way to learn biology is using the mark schemes.
You could give a perfectly sound biological response but if you don't write that 1 word on the mark scheme you won't get any marks
Where did you get your Edexcel Revision guide from and do you think a good time to get this is about Christmas?

Lots of people say they find the CGP book to be too vague - do you agree with this? thanks

I got mine from amazon and yeah Christmas is fine, neither revision guides are perfect but the edexcel one is better and covers the content in greater depth

Just messing. I do OCR but it's similar.

Mark schemes are the way forward and learn how to answer questions. Look at the past few years mark schemes and look for questions that are similar and see a pattern and how to answer those questions.

Most importantly, review and go over everything that you learn in class that night and go over it every week or so.

I didn't have any books, just class notes and managed to get A's.

What did you get at AS?

Posted from BEHIND YOU
I got mine from amazon and yeah Christmas is fine, neither revision guides are perfect but the edexcel one is better and covers the content in greater depth

Thanks so much!
Just messing. I do OCR but it's similar.

Mark schemes are the way forward and learn how to answer questions. Look at the past few years mark schemes and look for questions that are similar and see a pattern and how to answer those questions.

Most importantly, review and go over everything that you learn in class that night and go over it every week or so.

I didn't have any books, just class notes and managed to get A's.

What did you get at AS?

Posted from BEHIND YOU

Wow, impressive that you got an A without any revision books! Your teachers must have prepped you very well with resources.

I was lucky enough to get an A, but it was a low one!

:smile: thaaaanks
Original post by SamuelSingleton
The only way to learn biology is using the mark schemes.
You could give a perfectly sound biological response but if you don't write that 1 word on the mark scheme you won't get any marks

This is true. But also the reason why our education system is ****. I have friends at uni doing biology biochemistry courses, and uni exams are not like this at all. They allow for much more flexibility in exams and as a result, people always tell me that at uni you feel like you're learning whereas at a level, you're just playing the game.
Thanks so much!

No problem, once you've learnt the content then head to the mark schemes that's what I did, someone on tsr organised the mark schemes according to the spec into a document for the unit 4 and 5 exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem, once you've learnt the content then head to the mark schemes that's what I did, someone on tsr organised the mark schemes according to the spec into a document for the unit 4 and 5 exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that sounds incredible, do you have any idea where I could find that? (I'm fairly new to TSR and still learning how to use it)

Many thanks for your helpfulness!
Wow, impressive that you got an A without any revision books! Your teachers must have prepped you very well with resources.

I was lucky enough to get an A, but it was a low one!

:smile: thaaaanks

Oh yeah, and YouTube videos is just oooft

Posted from BEHIND YOU
Wow, that sounds incredible, do you have any idea where I could find that? (I'm fairly new to TSR and still learning how to use it)

Many thanks for your helpfulness!

Yeah I just had to find the link, they are attached to the first post in the thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2944181&highlight=notes&x=0&y=0#post56896801 it really helped me with my revision!
Oh yeah, and YouTube videos is just oooft

Posted from BEHIND YOU

Are the Youtube vids specifically for OCR?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending