The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lego12
What are the 5 easiest RG Unis to get into?

You'll have to be more specific than that. Which course are you hoping to get into?

Also, I feel like there needs to be a huge public enlightenment drive to let people know what the Russell Group actually is... There are bad RG universities and good non-RG universities and I wish people understood that.
It depends highly on your subject. For example, my RG uni, Queen Mary, will slaughter you if you're applying for medicine. I think that we're pretty demanding for law as well.

Our humanities are obviously more lax than many of the others though (although our politics department beat KCL's this year, I think).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Hydeman
You'll have to be more specific than that. Which course are you hoping to get into?

Also, I feel like there needs to be a huge public enlightenment drive to let people know what the Russell Group actually is... There are bad RG universities and good non-RG universities and I wish people understood that.

No RG university is going to be considered bad unless you're one of those weird elitists
Original post by lego12
No RG university is going to be considered bad unless you're one of those weird elitists

Again, it depends on what you mean by 'bad.' I resent the general attitude on this forum that the Russell Group actually means something. It's a self-appointed group of public research universities who all agree that their research is excellent. The implication that it's either RG or it's bad is a sinister one especially because there are good universities that aren't in the RG e.g. Bath, St. Andrews etc.
Original post by Hydeman
Again, it depends on what you mean by 'bad.' I resent the general attitude on this forum that the Russell Group actually means something. It's a self-appointed group of public research universities who all agree that their research is excellent. The implication that it's either RG or it's bad is a sinister one especially because there are good universities that aren't in the RG e.g. Bath, St. Andrews etc.

Universities like Bath and St Andrews are great, and their rankings display why. Are they as dedicated, funded, and sucessful in research though? I don't know myself, and I'll check.

I think that the RG has academic importance, but it should stop being sold as a brand to undergraduates, many of whom never plan to have a research degree, who honestly are affected more in their studies by facets such as student satisfaction and SU funding (which normal ranking tables better reflect).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Liverpool, Southampton, Cardiff, then it depends on the course. Probably QMUL and one of Leeds, Sheffield, York and Birmingham
Reply 7
Birmingham, Southampton, Queens, Queen Mary, Cardiff
Original post by lego12

If you don't go to Oxbridge, you may as well die.
Original post by Sir Candour
Universities like Bath and St Andrews are great, and their rankings display why. Are they as dedicated, funded, and sucessful in research though? I don't know myself, and I'll check.

I think that the RG has academic importance, but it should stop being sold as a brand to undergraduates, many of whom never plan to have a research degree, who honestly are affected more in their studies by facets such as student satisfaction and SU funding (which normal ranking tables better reflect).

Exactly. It's just a group of self-appointed public research universities. I don't like the idea of people using the term without knowing that. They've simply been taught a hierarchy where you've got Oxbridge at the top and, if you can't into them, then the rest of the RG is the next best thing and if you can't get into any of those either, then you've gone to a 'bad' university.

I also worry on a different front that the RG behaves like a cartel, almost. A lobby group, if you will. It has some of the best research in the UK but it actively tries to maintain its share of research funding so that it can keep this title and deprive others of it. It defeats the point of university (and schools as well, in my view) if they're always obsessing about being rated this many stars or getting that many points and ticks for their research just to get into a high spot in a trusted league table.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Flather
Birmingham, Southampton, Queens, Queen Mary, Cardiff

Birmingham is pretty high up there though for some courses, such as Chem Eng etc. I think it may be on a subject by subject basis though.
Original post by arch0wnz
Birmingham is pretty high up there though for some courses, such as Chem Eng etc. I think it may be on a subject by subject basis though.

Majority of the people I know going are going on unconditionals
Original post by Flather
Majority of the people I know going are going on unconditionals

What is the criteria for unconditional offers?

What do you mean?
Original post by Depleted
Liverpool, Southampton, Cardiff, then it depends on the course. Probably QMUL and one of Leeds, Sheffield, York and Birmingham

Na Liverpool depends on course. QMUL is easier to get into than Liverpool imo.

Keyword explained: lack of condition.
Original post by Sir Candour
It depends highly on your subject. For example, my RG uni, Queen Mary, will slaughter you if you're applying for medicine. I think that we're pretty demanding for law as well.

Our humanities are obviously more lax than many of the others though (although our politics department beat KCL's this year, I think).

You at QMUL?

I'm applying to both KCL and QMUL for History :tongue:
Original post by Flather
What do you mean?

As in, what sort of grades do you need to have for them to offer you an unconditional offer? I mean, they must really want you if they're offering you an unconditional so what does a student need to have that they can offer the university so that they give you an unconditional?

Original post by Juichiro
Keyword explained: lack of condition.

No.
As in, what sort of grades do you need to have for them to offer you an unconditional offer? I mean, they must really want you if they're offering you an unconditional so what does a student need to have that they can offer the university so that they give you an unconditional?

As someone else has mentioned, you need to satisfy their condition to get the unconditional...
If for example you get 100% in all your AS grades and you've applied for a university that wants 240 UCAS points, then not even showing up to A2 you've already met the conditions
Original post by SamuelSingleton
As someone else has mentioned, you need to satisfy their condition to get the unconditional...
If for example you get 100% in all your AS grades and you've applied for a university that wants 240 UCAS points, then not even showing up to A2 you've already met the conditions

You would have to be crazy to do that.

Latest

Trending

Trending