The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Butterfly9595
What, this late in the process? Maybe people have unexpectedly had second thoughts? Or nhs have funded extra places?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe that's what may have happened at Sheffield (the extra funding that is) - it just all seems a little strange this year - from A level results to what's in clearing - all very odd. Glad I am out of it :smile:

Just went on ucas for a nosey to see which options have now been filled and bang - there was UoM!

How you doing - looking forward to starting back?
Original post by AmyPilot
I believe that's what may have happened at Sheffield (the extra funding that is) - it just all seems a little strange this year - from A level results to what's in clearing - all very odd. Glad I am out of it :smile:

Just went on ucas for a nosey to see which options have now been filled and bang - there was UoM!

How you doing - looking forward to starting back?

Yeah it does seem to have been weird this year...

Yeah, I can't wait to go back! Missing all the people, but also the actual learning as well - buzzing to actually do speech therapy stuff this year instead of the general subjects! What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it sad that I'm excited for there to be a 2016 thread to pass the baton over
Yeah it does seem to have been weird this year...

Yeah, I can't wait to go back! Missing all the people, but also the actual learning as well - buzzing to actually do speech therapy stuff this year instead of the general subjects! What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah looking forward to going back but my year 2 is mostly psychology - only one speech unit this year (the joy of joint honours). So what do you do in second year that's so different? At MMU they stick to the same four core areas for the speech therapy but suppose the detail/depth is different as you progress. Weird how each uni approaches the same subject so differently.

Just trying to sort out getting all my stuff back to my new home! Transport and access issues to sort out (need a damn key first lol or I can't get in).

Oh the joy - why can't we just teleport????????
Original post by JordanC55
Is it sad that I'm excited for there to be a 2016 thread to pass the baton over

Weird there isn't one already - surely everyone is back in college and ucas is all they are talking about????
Weird there isn't one already - surely everyone is back in college and ucas is all they are talking about????

Yeah I agree it's very weird. I guess it might happen next week when everyone definitely goes back
Yeah looking forward to going back but my year 2 is mostly psychology - only one speech unit this year (the joy of joint honours). So what do you do in second year that's so different? At MMU they stick to the same four core areas for the speech therapy but suppose the detail/depth is different as you progress. Weird how each uni approaches the same subject so differently.

Just trying to sort out getting all my stuff back to my new home! Transport and access issues to sort out (need a damn key first lol or I can't get in).

If you look at the forum for medical students they are even more diverse. Some universities make students do two years of pre-clinical training before letting them loose on patients whilst other universities do clinical stuff straight away. It would be interesting to see how other subjects are taught (e.g. other AHP, nursing etc.) to see if there is as much variation between universities there too.

I cannot wait to start second year. Fewer modules and we actually start doing clinical stuff!
Original post by evantej
If you look at the forum for medical students they are even more diverse. Some universities make students do two years of pre-clinical training before letting them loose on patients whilst other universities do clinical stuff straight away. It would be interesting to see how other subjects are taught (e.g. other AHP, nursing etc.) to see if there is as much variation between universities there too.

I cannot wait to start second year. Fewer modules and we actually start doing clinical stuff!

Yes I've noticed the different approaches for medicine. Don't know much about nursing except my cousin qualified a couple of years ago and she spent more time on wards rather than in the classroom - think she did classes in blocks followed by fairly long placements.

Have to say that the more practical approach was what steered me towards MMU rather than UoM. We had placements almost immediately - we did 3 in the first year - 2 in educational settings and a clinical placement at the end of the year.

Each year there are 4 "speech" units to cover - grouped under the headings Applications of Clinical Theory, Foundations of Communication, Clinical Education, Investigating Human Development and Behaviour and all the necessary areas of study are contained therein.

Next year will be more academic for me as its 3/4 psychology rather than SLT.

Ooh, you looking forward to a the psychology then? First year is almost a foundation- we study Biology, Anatomy, Linguistics etc so it's not directly speech therapy, just the knowledge we need to have. Second year we actually start looking at disorders and interventions, so I'm super excited for that :smile:

Ooh fun fun fun... Hope it all goes well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I've noticed the different approaches for medicine. Don't know much about nursing except my cousin qualified a couple of years ago and she spent more time on wards rather than in the classroom - think she did classes in blocks followed by fairly long placements.

Have to say that the more practical approach was what steered me towards MMU rather than UoM. We had placements almost immediately - we did 3 in the first year - 2 in educational settings and a clinical placement at the end of the year.

Each year there are 4 "speech" units to cover - grouped under the headings Applications of Clinical Theory, Foundations of Communication, Clinical Education, Investigating Human Development and Behaviour and all the necessary areas of study are contained therein.

Next year will be more academic for me as its 3/4 psychology rather than SLT.

I sometimes think I should have gone down the practical route and chosen the joint course at MMU but that is history now. :redface:

I suppose you might have more time to yourself in second year, because it is largely theoretical and you are not expected to do as much outside of the class, so you could do some volunteering or part-time work before proper external placements start?
Original post by evantej
I sometimes think I should have gone down the practical route and chosen the joint course at MMU but that is history now. :redface:

I suppose you might have more time to yourself in second year, because it is largely theoretical and you are not expected to do as much outside of the class, so you could do some volunteering or part-time work before proper external placements start?

In theory its supposed to be the easier year but looking at the timetable I am not so sure lol - and we also have to get involved one day a week for the year on a conversation partners programme so we still get some practical experience to build on. Tuesdays are going to be a nightmare - a solid day 9-5 on various psychology topics - good job I enjoy psychology (especially looking forward to neuroscience!).

Enjoy second year :smile:
Ooh, you looking forward to a the psychology then? First year is almost a foundation- we study Biology, Anatomy, Linguistics etc so it's not directly speech therapy, just the knowledge we need to have. Second year we actually start looking at disorders and interventions, so I'm super excited for that :smile:

Ooh fun fun fun... Hope it all goes well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I like psychology. Not given up on the idea of a PhD in Educational Psychology at some much later date :smile:

Bit worried I might forget phonetics linguistics etc this year lol.

Applications of Clinical Theory is my one speech unit this year (the disorders and interventions etc) - this is done in first year on the straight speech course but we did a psychology unit in its place last year so we join with the new recruits for this subject this year.

Enjoy :smile:
Is there anyone going to Sheffield Uni doing speech science?
Reply 3933
Hi all,
Is there anyone who can direct me to where I can find a secondhand book of Children's Communication Skills from Birth to Five by Buckley, B (and any other SaLT related books important for a first year student.)
I would really appreciate it. Am really buzzed to be finally starting.
Thanx
Jude
Original post by jude1
Hi all,
Is there anyone who can direct me to where I can find a secondhand book of Children's Communication Skills from Birth to Five by Buckley, B (and any other SaLT related books important for a first year student.)
I would really appreciate it. Am really buzzed to be finally starting.
Thanx
Jude

Which university do you go to? I bought the Buckley book brand new and thought it was overrated; would not mind getting rid of it to be honest.
Hiya, is anyone doing speech and language therapy at ulster university jordanstown?
Reply 3936
DMU Leicester
Hi,
Does anyone starting BCu next week know what days we need to go in during induction week? Apart from the Sunday, I can only see mention of the 22nd Anyone have any further information? Trying to get organised! Many thanks.
Original post by shropshirelass51
Hi,
Does anyone starting BCu next week know what days we need to go in during induction week? Apart from the Sunday, I can only see mention of the 22nd Anyone have any further information? Trying to get organised! Many thanks.

Me too!! I'm trying to get organized for the induction week too and can't seem to find anything other than the optional fun stuff to attend.
Original post by jude1
DMU Leicester

You're going DMU :,)

Quick Reply

Latest